Just finished this

What do you guys think of Grape of Wrath? I thought it was pretty neat, ending was a little boring tho

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nmfJzRQioXk#t=107
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

one of the worst posts I've ever seen here.

haha ya

Needs more grapes and less wrath.

just finished the red pony and it was pretty underwhelming, should i bother with steinbeck or is he a hack?

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nmfJzRQioXk#t=107

Read East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath.

Ending is actually quite good. It resembles the spirit of the book.

Steinbeck was a middlebrow author for the masses. The Franzen of his time.

What would you consider highbrow?

Joyce, Proust, Nabokov, etc.

>Joyce
nonsense isn't highbrow

>putting people down for reading steinbeck

christ this board is pretentious

you can call him "middlebrow" all you want. he's still as popular with literary critics as he is with the unwashed masses you decry.

I hate people like you so fucking much

>he's still as popular with literary critics as he is with the unwashed masses you decry.

Utter horseshit. His Nobel win was a huge scandal in the literary world.

People who actually know what they're talking about?

Middlebrow is a spook used by elitists to justify their poor taste.

meh

Liked it. Tom Joad's speech on the soul was pretty amazing.

Red Pony is the weakest of his works I've read. If you want to give him another shot, Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday are neat and rather short.

>he doesn't even grasp that middlebrow refers to certain readers rather than books

Fucked that up entirely huh, you massive fucking idiot.

I'm just reporting the facts. Steinbeck is considered a popular writer, not a literary writer.

These definitions are not mutually exclusive, you poor dejected fool.

Steinbeck is well-known to be a middlebrow writer - you drooling imbecile. The way you're embarrassing yourself is truly painful to watch.

Indubitably good sir! Indeed, you sure showed that rancid swine, that pompous anti-intellectualist, that drooling imbecile as you so aptly put it yourself good sir, what it means to challenge the higher-browed intellectual caste to which such fine gentlemen such as ourselves belong.

To perceive the elegance of your fine reply truly is as pleasurable as the sensation of a velvet fedora upon my very high brow. Bravo good sir, bravo!

The ending of TGOW is fucking bizarre, is what it is.

Steinbeck is a great American writer, but Veeky Forums doesn't congratulate themselves for having read him the way they have to do for an author to be a favorite here.

I'm embarrassed for you that you haven't hung yourself yet

because he wasnt relevant at the time. if he had won a right after he wrote east of eden or grapes of wrath there wouldnt have been controversy.

Fun fact: grapes of wrath made me quit vegetarianism after 7 years.
I was constantly hungry and all that talk about stew really put me over the edge.

Did you notice the IQ buff and stopped feeling cold all the time?

It's because all his books are what we pretended to read in jr. high. At least in America.

I'm actually thinking about "re"reading them.