Why am I such a fucking slow reader? I pick up a picture of dorian grey...

why am I such a fucking slow reader? I pick up a picture of dorian grey, it's taken me days to get 26 pages into the book. I have this problem, see? I pick up the book and at first I read with fervor, then I start to slow down, until I am so tired that I am reading the same line over and over again, not able to comprehend it because my attention has waned so much. I don't know if this is a common phenomenon with people who don't read that much. I picked up The Perks Of Being A Wall Flower, I read about 36 pages of that book in a couple hours, it's very easy to read, but it still takes me longer than I feel it should be taking and I still get tired of it and have to put it down. I dunno if it's just because I'm not reading good books, I think both books are okay, but they're not really compelling me to keep reading them. I wish I didn't have this problem, it's been one of the most terrible afflictions on my entire life, the inability to pay attention to thinks I just don't give a fuck about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=72HU8kSnD20
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=72HU8kSnD20

Stop using the internet so much. Being raised by it, reading inane articles or shitposts, you're only trained to read in short bursts, not knowing how to deeply focus on a lengthy text.

I found reading incredibly hard after spending years online and playing video games. Your ability to read is going to be really off at first, and gradually normalize itself until it'll feel as easy as doing anything else. Just keep at it.

interesting picture
why did it change?

It's an amazing coincidence that I should notice this thread. I finished reading the picture of Dorian Gray not even half an hour ago. It took me four days which is twice as long to what it took my friend. I ran into the same issue as you multiple times. Oscar Wilde can be especially hard to mull through at times because sometimes he gets really pretentious and pretty much tries to show off his education; Through his long winded lists and descriptions of things most people don't know anything about.

It's hard to power through those bits, but my suggestion to you is to just read the words even if you don't absorb them. Continue on and eventually you should start understanding what you're reading again. I think it's okay to mentally miss out small bits. Cause to be honest, I think those long winded descriptions are only there to place emphasis on certain moods.

something about godless communists. It's bullshit.

this is good advice, I have been thinking about doing this, but I am a bit of a perfectionist. I often have a dictionary right next to me when I'm reading a book, because it bothers me when I miss the meaning of a word. Hopefully I will get over this compulsive habit eventually.

I understand the compulsion very well. But I've come to believe that completely understanding a book in that way requires a lot of studying. I don't think it's entirely worth it unless you've read through it once and it left you completely enthralled. Like, if you loved it a lot after reading through it the first time (while not picking up on every detail), then you can always go back and study the book some more.

But if the book turns out to be mediocre, then you can just read a couple essays on read, maybe chat about it with some people, then move on to the next book on your list.

Oh and by the way, I highly recommend sticking to one book at a time. Don't get overwhelming by the amount of things you want to read, and don't pick up a new book until you've completed whatever it was that you were on.

Sorry if I'm being at all incoherent, but I empathize with you and I've experienced the same mental blockage.

No, thank you. This is the best advice people have given me so far.

Red scare

rofl this is such a good vid

I love her..

I remember The Picture of Dorian Gray taking me a few weeks to read when I picked it up at age 16 as a spotty, fuzzy-headed teenager.

I read it again recently for the first time in five years in a couple of days over a leisurely weekend. I got a lot more out of it too. I think the key is just persistence. Don't worry too much about how fast you're reading. Read well.

>I highly recommend sticking to one book at a time.

Unless you can get into audiobooks.

Been reading on my bed and then listening to another book when i got to college and other places, and i've yet to feel like i missed anything. Unless i was too tired and got partially asleep during a certain part of the audiobook.

>audiobooks
This seems like it would be less beneficial to brain health, strength, and stamina. They say reading builds intelligence, I don't doubt it.

Humans evolved to listen not interpret written symbols, reading is an evolutionary mistake

Not any different than putting Creator in the constitution
People like you are the reason we can't post atheist shit here

Meditation will salvage your millennial attention span

I woke up one day 2 weeks ago and just started reading deeply after getting a good job and being able to pay my bills without worry. I had never wanted to read before and the last time I actually read a book was in elementary school. Probably 5th grade. I'm 25 now. I'm fairly certain that since my life has fallen into place for the time being, I'm finally stress free for a while and can actually concentrate. So far, I've read To Kill A Mockingbird and the first 2 Harry Potter books and I'm almost done with the 3rd. I know, kill myself. But they were the only books I ever enjoyed as a child and I wanted to know what happened after I dropped them when they became tome sized.

So yes. Manage your stress. Meditate or whatever you need to do. Get comfy. Free your mind and read.

Oscar Wilde is pretty dry, m8.

It's been on coins since 1864. Nobody gives a shit.

I give a shit, considering I'd like religion to be phased out entirely, eventually.

>>less beneficial to brain health
>implying it doesn't help you to develop concentration and/or multi-tasking

>strength
>can literally do any other mindless thing in the meanwhile, from cleaning something to lifting
>when compared to regular books, which you only need to hold, and most of the time is also being leaned on a bodypart

>stamina
>you literally spend zero energy when listening, as opposed to constantly switching pages

I like normal books as much as the average i/lit/erate, but you're full of bullshit and you know it.

Not to mention, religion shouldn't be on the money, considering this isn't a christian nation, there's plenty of people of different beliefs in america, regardless of if I want christianity to be phased out entirely. It's not just an issue of semantics, it's an issue of just being plain hypocritical. We are not one nation under god, we're one nation under whatever the fuck we want to believe, which some of us don't. It's nothing more than propaganda to have god on the money.

I'm not clapistani, but i think that, if you add them all up, there's enough christians, jews, protestants, jehova witnesses, evangelists, and whatever other sect there is that believes in the abrahamic God to make up the majority of the country.

Regardless of whether you're insinuating that the opinions of many automatically outweigh the opinions of a few, it would be hard to go against the overwhelming weight of stupidity in our country. It is frustrating, feeling like I'm one of the only sane people in this circus of insanity. I loathe religious people. If not loathe, then I feel bored with them, they're dull.

>this isn't a Christian nation
But user, it is

No, it's not.

I'm sorry that you're wrong, but our fathers were mostly either Roman Catholics or Jews. Our whole culture was brought up on Biblical morals and beliefs. It wasn't till the industrialization that muslims started seeking refuge in North America.

I sincerely hope you weren't referring to any atheists whose books you might have read from the 1800s.

You seem to be confusing humans with Negroes

If we don't stick with it, we'll be subsumed by Islam.

The only "problem" I have when it comes to getting reading done is the following:
I am very lazy when it comes to picking up fiction. Once I do start a book, I'll read it in bursts of 25-100 pages (or even more if it is light), no problem. However, I just don't feel like starting reading new fiction all that often.

With nonfiction, I tend to just pick up a book when I've got time in my hands and finish it in a day or two, sometimes in a single sitting. Sometimes it'll take me longer if I'm making a lot of notes (I tend to do this when reading philosophy, as I obviously need to return to thinking about it later. I can't just speed-read through Hegel and pretend that I've truly studied him.)

I used a very violent splitting into fiction and nonfiction; the nonfiction part, in reality, includes some fiction, particularly philosophical. If I am reading it for reasons of learning rather than enjoying it as art, it goes into the nonfiction category.

At least since 1864