Why live?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics
youtube.com/watch?v=2tlwYNioDL8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just b urself haha

le why?

No reason either way my man.

What if the afterlife is worse than life?

It's the only circus in town. I mean I'd change the channel if there was something better, but this is all we got. So, might as well.

triggered

whos that?

It's me. What do you want?

*appears behind u wit hot poker*
the world is the totality of facts.... not of RINGS....
*drives poker into youre ass whole*
heh... things are getting very... ANALytic
*pulls it out and your'e are corpse falls 2 the floor*
*smirks enigmatically*

Agnosticism is comfy

he said he didnt know, only that he did know it was not to be happy.

>ass whole

To stack deez slabs breh

basically this

why don't you ask your pastor?

Why not?

it hurts

Not really, or at least, not always.

Nonetheless, it is interesting that life's pains do seem to exponentially exceed life's pleasures.

Old Schopenhauer's comparison of the pain of the animal being eaten alive, to the pleasure of the animal that is eating it, always stuck with me.

To outdo all those that came before us

What do you mean "why"? Usually, it means some sort of aim, that would imply life is lived linearly, and time is something more than relational like other dimensions. This is a limited point of view (as limitation is necessary to any point), as outside/beyond time and dimension thing like "here" or "there" are most likely not truly applicable, and everything happen in a holistic moment.

Please be more aware of (or more specific about) the things you ask.

Unstream yourself before you meme yourself.

please cease being

1. Figure out what is valuable to others
2. Figure out your strengths
3. Figure out what you love doing
4. Combine these and make the world a better place

Create God in all your actions, be meaning, virtue, courage, wisdom, compassion. Make life worth living.

Or join the teenage Edgertons who are stuck in adolescent relativism and narcissism. Up to you kid, but the good needs your help.

False dichotomy right there, m80.

On serious note how do you escape this apathy?Us,in the west are more or less like the Last man,even the normies .

How do you escape that?

By becoming good. Building a better world. Helping others. Developing the self to your full creative potential. Building deep and intimate relationships.

Or don't, but as I said, the good needs you.

But that's not possible without ridding ourselves from this apathy.Why even live let alone help other?We are dreadfully detached from what i can tell.We can't tell what is good or bad,we don't even know our people.

And i hope i am not exaggerating,but more or less the only way we know to deal with this is hedonism.It's was mechanical for us now,at least for me and the people i see on daily basis.

Do you even follow what you are preaching here?I am just curious.

I just told you how. Yes, I do. Do you need specifics or something?

When talking to another person, learn to actually listen. Give extra income to poor people. Figure out what you are passionate about and do it as well as you can.

This isn't rocket science.

You other affirm life and the good or you go the way of waste. I think simply forcing yourself to do some of these good things might wake up some sense of virtue or life in you.

How old are you? Your apathy is likely a result if impotence against corrupt and powerful forces, but the thing is, the less people fall into apathy the stronger the resistance can be, and the better the world can become.

You can either be a part of the problem, or you can strive to actualize yourself and others.

because it's more interesting than being dead

And i also told you why it's not that way/
I don't mean to disrespect you,but these all sounds like some pathetic humanitarian new age preaching.

I tried my best to listen to people and most of the time it was the same rubbish over and over again,small talks you know.Tried being kind to poors ,but they are absolute degenerate cunts who acts like leaches.

I have been close to 1 poor man though,he used to work in our garden.He was honest and he never took any handouts,which is why i respected him.

Regarding passion i did found something but lost desire after an year.I am now sticking with academia now.

>I think simply forcing yourself to do some of these good things might wake up some sense of virtue or life in you.

This actually can work and have crossed my mind,which is why i have thought of joining the army.But i really don't have much faith in the war we are fighting.However even if i die it will be worthwhile in a sense i can't really explain,

And I just turned 20 this month

You have yet to become. Keep learning, there is hate in your heart, don't let it overcome you.

The army is a pretty terrible place to go. Unless you lack creativity, individuality, and a sense of purpose.

Yes , it is humanism, but it's got nothing to do with new age. It's just an enlightened conception of life and humanity.

Thanks Derrida.

Maybe.

You live because there's nothing else.
Literally the first line in Tractus Logico-Philisophicus.

For spooks

Yes i do have hate in my heart,i don't deny that.But most for the wretched condition we are in.

Regarding army,i think it is a misconception regarding lack of individuality.For me it more about exercising my will to do something we won't do and collectively face something terrible(comparatively) .

I think that's where the sense of purpose is the strongest ,in something collective and hard.

Which is the problem i have with this brand of humanism ,they deny some of the vital human attributes,they don't even acknowledges it,like a idiotic communist who don't take the "desire" into consideration before coming up with their utopia.It is very shallow and counter-productive,especially at this point and it is quite evident from our current situation.

Again i don't mean to be disrespectful ,it's what i saw around me.Maybe it's my environment or just me.

why die?

Because we started from the bottom, and now we're here.
Started from the bottom now the whole crew fucking here.

My communism takes into consideration desires. Also, no idea why you think humanism ignores any of this.

Sounds like you have a misconception of both.

There was never any reason to live so looking is pointless.

That being said I find myself trying to find an idea that can comfort me before death. I was having relationship trouble once and I was not in a good state of mind. My car then filled with smoke in the coldest day of the year and had I not had more battery in my phone I would have died. I was scared and I felt like a little bitch because of it. I later thought that even if I wasn't happy, I could still live a life where I was deserving of it in my eyes. It was stupid but it helped me for a little while. I need an idea like this but for the will to live instead.

misconception based on my experience with those who preaches it.

How do you guys deal with pain as well? I feel like living without being ready for extreme pain would hamper my ability to live fully. I also wouldn't want to be unprepared for it or not having entertained the thought you know? Athletes are lauded for their ability to push themselves and endure physical strain. I don't like getting too existential about it but here I am. I feel like a good reason to live would give you a good reason to endure a lot of pain, paradoxical I know. Camus observed how people who have themselves a reason to live used the same as a reason to die for. How does one find the strength to endure the pain that the world could throw at you?

Maybe you misunderstood, or they did,or there was some other misunderstanding, also some people are wrong.

I'm telling you otherwise, is that not also part of your experience?

Oxycodone HCl, 10-20 mg, p.o. every 4-6 hours.

Sure it is and it is not much different from what i have heard before.

These all sounds nice but in practical use they don't work because they are based off misunderstanding and especially denial of our "ugliness" ,which i think is essential.

And ironically these are being preached more on the part of the world which is the most detached from it's people and it's history.Religion used to hold it together pretty well,but then again most of us are either atheists or nihilists,with no regards for religion.Many of those who are religious are a bunch of vile hedonists too.

Damn it, that picture, it would be even more trigger material if it said consciousness is a construct of it's own doing.

Think you quoted the wrong guy bub

Also I'm sure you guys will figure it out this time lol

As time passes by I become increasingly convinced that the only point in living is memes.

It's like the user said " simply forcing yourself to do some of these good things might wake up some sense of virtue or life in you." ,and nothing is more "nobler" than putting your life at line in extreme conditions for that symbol,especially when it don't have much values to that individual.Maybe that's how you overcome that kind of apathy and detachment.

Yes i did.sorry for that.
i think that too.

>the good
>not being relative
I think that other user needs to read past the Greeks
Why not just make your own reason to live rather than defer to society's.

Taken from:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics

"Memetics is the theory of mental content based on an analogy with Darwinian evolution, originating from the popularization of Richard Dawkins' 1976 book The Selfish Gene.[1] Proponents describe memetics as an approach to evolutionary models of cultural information transfer.

The meme, analogous to a gene, was conceived as a "unit of culture" (an idea, belief, pattern of behaviour, etc.) which is "hosted" in the minds of one or more individuals, and which can reproduce itself, thereby jumping from mind to mind. Thus what would otherwise be regarded as one individual influencing another to adopt a belief is seen as an idea-replicator reproducing itself in a new host. As with genetics, particularly under a Dawkinsian interpretation, a meme's success may be due to its contribution to the effectiveness of its host."

Seconded.

To spook or not to spook that is the question.

>How do you guys deal with pain as well?
By getting used to it.

> How does one find the strength to endure the pain that the world could throw at you?

stoics game a solid way to do that.

I don't think good/bad is relative.sure maybe for a person,but a person doesn't count.It's the collective average which determines it.

>Why not just make your own reason to live rather than defer to society's.

Most people do make their own reasons to live ,but by defering to society's .Simply because we aren't that different and basic biological needs are still the same.

You mean 2spook

What do you guys think about the pursuit of knowledge? I'm not going an objectivity route I'm more approaching it as a goal that will never be completed. However even if I reached a point of an easton of knowledge the issue of whether or not there is a self could make it feel fruitless in a way. Just a material trying to reach another material state.
>we're all just chemicals
But then again everything is so, meh.

Then again if I actually had all that knowledge I probably wouldn't be having these musings as it would fall into that category

What if society was filled with Nazis?

Yeah stoicism is about the best thing I've come across so far

Then that's the one who would decide,however that society won't last most likely,not because it is evil but because it is incompatible with most.

It;s still a collective circlejerk.

They probably provides one of the best ways to deal with these shits.

>Why live?

Right now I like hanging out with my friends and sometimes exploring abandoned things if we are lucky. Why can't I live in a world where I can do that to my heart's content? However giving a reason to my life via an activity feels hedonistic in a way. I can't but help think of how it could be better. However it could always be better no? Do you just stop wanting? If you didn't want anything would you not just cease to move, and to exist? You could say appreciate the little things or what you have but that sorta sounds like hippy bullshit mom advice.

I'm you from the future.
My biggest fear is not wanting anything.

So I guess I don't kill myself then. You're not a ghost are you?

The best answers I can think of right now are trying a Sisyphean or Stoic approach to life.

Imagine you could live in any fantasy world you've read about. You are placed into one at random and you want to be in another. Would you not be spiteful? You endure suffering with Stoicism but for what?

We should definitely appreciate little things only while striving for the greatness.Unless it's meaningless .

And imo It is a hippy bullshit.There's nothing worse than stop wanting altogether and i do think the reason for wishing so derives from ones inability and incompetence to achieve anything at all,which pains them the most.

And instead of using that "pain" to get further they shrink back in their shell.It's a sign of weak character.

Join the army with me to get over this bullshit.

Essentially

Stoicism is nice work if you can get it.
Seems rather impossible though, unless you start early on, or you're a psychopath.

I've had a friend that I could probably describe as a stoic once. Once. Needless to say neither of those to options are particularly appealing to me.

While I don't actually have the answer to what the fuck I want to do with my life, I'm hopeful, irrationally so in fact. Which is why I do my best to preserve the little tidbits that make up my "balanced" life untill I eventually figure things out, as the hero of my story I feel it unjust to not give the viewer a climax.
It's probably stupid or juvenile, but honestly when it comes to this topic, anything can be assigned as such.

Never lose hope user!

To maximize yr utility function, what else?

Thanks "do your best today" user.

I'll try that as a plan B. The army for me would be more, "I have zero money" rather than "I have no meaning to live." I also don't want to kill. However I'm not against self defense. Don't get blowed up user

Op after u die. U will have forever to be dead. So while ur alive live to experience the best life u deem worthy.

Made me think of this

I cri evrytiem

youtube.com/watch?v=2tlwYNioDL8

I second this

Here we go...

might as well ask yourself why shit when you have a huge urge to.

What's with the degenerate Stoic scum that has infected this Wittgenstein thread? Don't you know that acting like an indifferent robot to the Beauty that is life experience is for autists?

Just be patient.