History of Philosophy

Is Anthony Kenny's 'new history' the best overview of western philosophy at the moment?

Is it?

Yes, it is.

I've read some pertinent critique to its first volume. It's not in English though and I can't be bothered to translate it.

No, that would be The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps.

Fool

"Without Any Gaps" means no women philosophers, right? Sounds good.

I have this saved in my "dank memes" folder rather than my book cover folder and now I don't know if I just made a mistake or if this is really a meme book :/

I have no idea what any of that means.

Correct, it's all men philosophers.

You know

It's just a pop philosophy book.

You'd be better off reading the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, IMo

The purpose of the book is simply to give the beginner a broad historical overview of the subject. Once ascended, the ladder can be kicked away.

I personally like Bryan Magee's "Story of Philosophy", a good follow-up to the original by Will Durant.

I use this for referencing but initially read Burty Russels history of philosophy. there's an audiobook version floating around le net

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:107249c8ef0cabba577331d5ea23a76018c8d08b&dn=A+History+of+Western+Philosophy+-+Bertrand+Russell&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

I would avoid Durant - he just doesn't understand philosophy.

shut the fuck up

i heard cooper is good

I recently acquired pic related
Amazon and goodreads reviews say its dense and difficult
My only exposure to phil. so far has been Sophie's World and random shit online

Will it go over my head? Is it worth struggling with?

I want to read the Durant history of the world series, is it worth it?

Its decent but very analytically focused. Also some philosophers just get a horrible treatment. It's probably the best option though.

like an idiot I forgot to upload the pic
i didn't mean the one in op

>some philosophers just get a horrible treatment.

like?

He doesnt understand baseball either

Frederick Copleston is GOAT

kierkegaard, derrida

I liked Lord Russell's history of western philosophy. It was a good survey.

how so? I'm only on the third chapter but was hoping the Derrida section toward the end would be illuminating given I don't understand a thing about that guy

It's a great intro but don't expect anything anywhere to be in depth. He does a great job of introducing you to each topic. I personally wish it was done by philosopher rather than areas of study. But that's my opinion.

It's a nice introduction to most of philosophy. Don't expect anything unheard of to be discussed. It's a series of four short books that serve most readers well enough.