Best poetic prose

Who has the best poetic prose? Why?

st augustine

Gass: no other author has the range of expression and style, and no other author can compose a sentence like he can.

Just read actual poetry desu

Pessoa, even if I fucking hate Portuguese

I like his style but what he actually writes about is just so purely whatever.

define "poetic"

Prose whose value comes from its beauty and its melody, focusing less on effectivity.

nice try satan

what about that definition is poetic
poetic relates to poetry, not all poetry is beautiful or melodic. beyond that, beauty isn't a quantifiable thing.

1º: Not everything Dante wrote was about hell and damnation, so, what about that definition of dantesque.
2º Yeah, I guess requesting ''the best'' was a mistake. Your ''favourite'' then, huh?
*Thanks for the correction, btw.

That obese fag William Gass

Melville's prose best prose

>poetic prose
please stop saying this, prose is by definition non-prosodic, or not "poetry"

Well, what don't you like about it? It could just be that you haven't read the right book for you. I can understand why you wouldn't like him if you're not American, though, since, in the end, all of his works have their heart in the same place--the Midwest.

lol it might be because I'm a citybird, but what story would you recommend for starters? I read a bit of Omensetter's Luck but like i said it wasnt really hitting any numbers for me, maybe I could give it another go.

Well, if you're looking for something more provocative and virtuoso, check out my favorite--The Tunnel; however, if you want something with more interesting inner workings, check out In the Heart of the Heart of the Country.

This: And also Nabokov and Shakespeare's prose.

>even if I fucking hate Portuguese

Why? Is so sweet and sonorous.

thanks user

pushkin and gogol

and flaubert

Of everyone I've ever read, Rilke has the best prose.

Makes sense since he's mainly a poet.

translated?

No p.

Wow, Zola is definitely underrated here. Germinal is gorgeous.

Is this the one where someone's dick gets chopped off?

>Zola
You could have chosen Huysmans, Stendhal, Maupassant, Goncourt and you choose fucking Zola?

The only objectively correct answer is Tommy P.

Zola is well known for his shit prose.

Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Nabokov, Lowry, Bowles.

You forgot Pynchon.

Woolf and Nabokov are my faves!

Pynchon's prose sucks.
>hehehehe I can throw in scientific references and create le huge lists of imagery!!
Yes, he's a smart dude, but his aesthetic sensibility is patball compared to Joyce's.

>PATBALL COMPARED TO JOYCES CHAMPION GAME

you fucking memer

>Pynchon's prose sucks
t. Non-reader.

Bruno Schulz's poetic prose is nice.

what are some better adjectives for this, anons?

>is patball
get the fuck out of here

Binyon

Yes, admittedly (Stephen Mitchell). Still anything better than I've read in the original English.

lol
u srs lad

In the original language it is gorgeous, Nabokov called him the greatest Russian stylist of all time.

Don DeLillo