Post your word processor

Post your word processor.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/348200/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

word on default settings other than autocorrect being turned off

Uh, yeah, *chuckles at OP*, I use ACTUAL software meant for published writers like MasterWriter and Writer's Blocks.

Currently I'm testing Power Structure WriteItNow. ; )

i use a program called q10

it's like notepad but with a dark theme.

does anyone know a word processor with a spell check funtion that also has a dark background with light text?

notepad

Notepad ++ or FocusWriter on Windows
Textastic on iPad

>MasterWriter
>It has a dictionary
>It has a dictionary of phrases
>It has synonyms

Underrated post

google docs

Focuswriter for novel work.
Microsoft Word for reports.
Excel for actual work for the reports.

The latter two are mandatory but cover all of my wants regardless. Focuswriter allows me to focus on my work and my work alone in a customized environment. Really helps the words flow out.

OO is total garbage, btw.

the govt will steal your idea.

scrivener

Just plain Microsoft Works Word processor. But I do use OpenOffice to make a html save, which I can then convert to a mobi file and put on my Kindle to proofread comfortably in bed. There's probably a more efficient way than that workaround nowadays but I'm too lazy to check.

this

>like the best office
>on your drive
>constantly autosaving

good taste user

writemonkey

>using anything else

Word 2013.

>word processor.
pleb

I prefer pen and paper but in the end digital is leagues more practical.

Have you ever noticed a change in the way you write on paper vs computer? On the computer I feel more quick and punchy, but with pen and paper I feel like I can focus much more on every single word.

STEMfag alert

>On the computer I feel more quick and punchy, but with pen and paper I feel like I can focus much more on every single word.
That's pretty much why I switched. The convenience of punching out lines on a computer is scary to me. I'm a lot more happy with compromising writing speed than I am with compromising detail. It's not a race, after all. It's probably unlikely that anyone will ever read anything I've written anyway t b h.

I do almost all of my writing/plot layouts/character dev by hand and only use a computer for the last editing process of transferring last rough draft to the final draft. I think I use notepad or whatever default word processor Microsoft uses that has no autocorrect.

Not only do ideas flow better when working by hand, but it's easier to look at the entire work by pinning it to a wall or just laying it out on the floor.
That's the thing I don't like about computers, having to look at the entire work through a window

god why are most word processors so shit? changing margins on most of them is inexplicably complicated. they hog a huge amount of cpu. they're clunky and slow. headings and footings aren't intuitive. I shouldn't have to use latex to get my text to do what I want in reasonable time.

Tried it but hated the layout.

How do your hands survive? I write just one page by hand, if that, and I get such painful cramps I have to stop.

I can go at least a few pages before I need a break.

Whats hell for me is just typing it all up. And my handwriting is shit

I actually never have that. Suppose it's diff from person to person. I could probably write a chapter and then have to take a break.

wank less

I polish my greatsword like a motherfucker and I don't have any problems with cramps.

I've been a welder and a machinist with mechanical and physical hobbies. Your hands and my hands are probably very different.

That being said, pain is just a phase. Your hands hurt because they're getting stronger. It'll go away after a while

I dig it, does it have autocorrect?

I downloaded as many options as I could find for OS X about a year ago.
I use TextMate for non-formatted typing. Because it opens super-fast and there's no bullshit to it.
I use Bean, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice for formatted documents.
Ulysses is also pretty good and worth checking out.

Ulysses is great, wish there was a Windows version

>Vast majority of people in this thread are using anything other than Word or LibreOffice

You guys cannot be serious, right?

i r serious writer

this to be honest

This one on Steam has caught my attention.

store.steampowered.com/app/348200/

>Using programs that are cumbersome and actively impede the writing process
You can't be serious, right?

Would buy if it wasnt on Steam

Yes, an absolute majority of writers on this planet cannot be serious.

>anything but notepad

How can I make my Jarte look like that? I just installed it and it looks like shit

Forget it, I'm just stupid

vim on vt220 or better terminal

>Vim for fiction writing
Why the fuck would you do that?

Why not? I edit text most comfortably within vi, and the majority of writing involves the editing of text. Word processors are simply too big and clunky, while attempting to do more than necessary. A simple plain text editor is leagues more efficient. Besides, the only graphical text editor of worth is acme ().

writemonkey

My sister likes FocusWriter, it's a nice piece of free software.

LONDON

Is she older or younger? Does she give you sisterly hugs and kisses? Aww, how adorable.

Anything else is a meme

How'd you get it so dark?

It's a new black theme for 2016

Even this is better than Word. Word is fucking atrocious.

Dammit. Beat me to it.

windows --> notepad++
linux --> geany
cli --> emacs

I write in plain text and and then format in asciidoc

EMACS
M
A
C
S

>all these people using text editors as word processors
Please tell me you're just memeing

It's just as bad as using MS Word for fiction writing

>All these people using word processors
Even worse

Why would you need a full word processing suite to write text? Font sizes and styles are for your publisher. You do have one right?

ULYSSES
L
Y
S
S
E
S

What makes this so good? I hear macfags talk about it all the time, but generally have never been impressed by Mac exclusive stuff because the only reason people say it's good is because it's on Mac and hey have to justify their purchase.

What advantages does a word processor have over a text editor?

It makes formatting much easier. Can you bold and italicize things in a text editor? If you can, it is easier in a processor anyways. It also allows you to easily write things in the fonts and standards that the publisher wants, even if it is just for editing (double space time new Roman 11 pt or whatever). Also .docx is the standard. No one wants a .txt file.

I don't give a fuck what I'm writing in as long as it supports markdown, has a dark theme, and runs on Linux.

>It makes formatting much easier.
White space is simpler.

>Can you bold and italicize things in a text editor?
Yes, markdown, (la)tex, etc

>If you can, it is easier in a processor anyways.
You obviously wouldn't know.

>It also allows you to easily write things in the fonts and standards that the publisher wants, even if it is just for editing (double space time new Roman 11 pt or whatever).
They have editors for that.

>Also .docx is the standard. No one wants a .txt file.
According to whom? Simplicity and portability makes working easier, not to mention the efficiency gained with a powerful and simple text editor.

To add, with simple text you're able to make use of version control systems such as git or mercurial and have every single revision made to your work since the beginning. You can also back this up on a private server or github account.

emacs org mode

hi gaskun, will you ever return to the discord? the indian transferred admin powers to someone mentally stabler.

Celtx

Can you email us your manuscript so we can consider publishing? Thanks.

>implying anyone will want to look at your incomprehensible monkey scrawl

Atlantis for rough drafts and general work.
Kingsoft suite for errorless DOC/PDF conversion and print proofing.
WriteItNow for research/outline/novel construction.

Atlantis is worth it.
Kingsoft doesn't make errors.

>use them, friendo.

forgot to mention, i'm very published.

if you work in a windoze environment use em.

all on an IBM buckling spring classic keyboard, as long as it's CLI and (La)TeX, I'm happy.
once you go clack you never go back

self-defence for weebs?

It's obvious that none of you are serious or confident enough in your own ideas.

Exclusively, I use a carefully preserved twelve inch eagle feather that has been passed down in my family for generations, argued to have been used by Thomas Jefferson himself during the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
The ink is the highest quality extracted from the remains of only record breaking sized giant squid and imported from Italy after being refined by the world's leading expert in dye permanence.
Blank papyrus parchment taken from the Vatican archives is carefully extracted and sold to only the most prestigious vendors who craft them into scrolls and sell them in auction to the highest bidder. That bidder being me.

If you don't care enough to do it right, give up now.

You poor bastard.

I myself am privileged enough to use a high-iridium meteoric steel ballpoint pen with Dow TruTex 50-50 carbon-latex ink originally developed to withstand the icy void of interstellar travel. I then write upon my stock of pearl-nacre-coated silk harvested from genetically-engineered worms that can only live on the banks of oases in the Gobi Desert. Only when you wear what you have written can you truly call yourself a writer.

As my output is prodigious, I only wear each garment once and donate all my previous works to starving children in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I'm told the smell of the latex ink has a soporific effect on them which makes them especially vulnerable to roaming warlords, rapists, and cannibals.

I use a typewriter which I found in the trash.
r8

it was some ghost writing i did for a client

>more or less

So basically all the worst part of word and all the worst parts of a text editor?

>being this ignorant

Why the fuck would you use Kingsoft over MS Office or Libre Office?

I need a 100% error free DOC/PDF converter and print proofing processor that has zero hassle.
Taking the approach of writing the eBook first I use Sigil for that then formatting for print versions the PDF conversion in Kingsoft has never let me down like other processors.
When it comes to that respect it's a lot like LaTex.
Given Kingsoft writer/studio has the annoying landing tab, and limited config menu its still error free doc/pdf conversion which is required for print versions.

I only use Atlantis for the sound schemes. I've found that type writer sounds at key presses make for a better psychological writing experience.
And yes, I like type writers.

I use WordWeb like 500 million other people when it comes to thesaurus/dict look ups which I advise you do the same.

>ms office ... just no.
>libre office... just no.
>openffice... just no.
(I have used them all at one point, just don't feel comfortable with them. Even wrote my first book in openoffice.)

Finding a processor that you feel comfortable with is basically the corner stone of your writing career.
Use whatever you feel the most productive with is my final words of advice, friendo.

iA Writer

>bootleg

>Finding a processor that you feel comfortable with is basically the corner stone of your writing career.
>Use whatever you feel the most productive with is my final words of advice, friendo.

Listen to this man, he knows.

Your reply leaves me unconvinced it's anything other than what I stated.