Unfilmable Novels

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cibQA_LNe9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In all seriousness, though.

i have yet to read it, what am i in for?

A wonderfully written, confusing, highly intellectual novel in the same vein as Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and The Recognitions. Don't expect to understand all of it--I still don't, though, on my third time through, I'm getting closer--and don't expect to enjoy all of it.

>A wonderfully written, confusing, highly intellectual novel in the same vein as Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and The Recognitions.
How can it be 'in the same vein' as three completely different novels in completely different veins?

he just wanted to sound smart and picked 3 highly regarded books talked about on this board to do that

>failing to mention the fact that all novels are essentially unfilmable because they are supposed to be read as 'uneigentliche Rede' in the sense of improprietas and because of the lack of spacio-temporal continuity in the novel

didnt even mean to quote

>pull quote is "ends in massive violence"

wow they really knew their target market for that book

Let's get this out of the way

this for sure

Eh. You'd just have to put it on a series of short films, with one major Arthouse one representing the poem. Release it all as an 'interactive film'.

as terrible as the film would be I feel like Infinite Jest might be possible

Like just looking at what happens in the book some director could cover the major scenes

is this a good book? I've never heard of it.

this is un-FLIMABLE not un-readable

I remember a quote from some faggot I watch on the interwebs
"Name one movie where you have to have a fucking book in front of you to tell you what the hell the characters are talking about! ... besides Dune!"

First time I read Dune I had no idea what the fuck was happening for the first few chapters. It became much clearer on a re-read

They've already tried it. Don't know if it's any good.

Oddly enough I think a film based solely on the Urth of the New Sun would work fine. That book has quite a cinematic feel, and the non-linear events of its plot could touch on things enough to make it understandable. Then when the people who saw the film go to read BotNS they'd be in for a great treat.

Welp.

youtube.com/watch?v=cibQA_LNe9s

Overrated trash

Dune does this thing where you'll read something that you know is important that's not fully explained, and you're left wondering if its because you missed something that already happened or if it hasn't been revealed yet. Luckily everything in the end of the books is usually explained Scooby Doo style, but it can leave you feeling a bit confused.
I suggested reading the whole sage, than going back and reading it again.

That's the most filmable story by H.P.L.

>Shadow Over Innsmouth

Zoolander

I can no longer go on planes :'(

Recently read Johnny Got His Gun and was shocked to learn it had been adapted to film. How does that even work? Anybody read the book and seen the movie that can enlighten me?

>open this thread randomly
>get an unexpected (you)

yeah that was me lmao

It's long, encyclopedic, complicated, and draws from a large amount of other works, just like the three novels I mentioned.
If you actually read any of them you would understand the comparison, but, considering where I am, I suppose it doesn't come as a surprise that you haven't.