Hear about Thomas Ligotti on Veeky Forums

>hear about Thomas Ligotti on Veeky Forums
>his Wikipedia page portrays him as Lovecraft mixed with Cioran, ten notches above Stephen King
>his life story is humble and unpretentious
>has rave reviews from The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times Book Review, among others
>think, "Wow, the guy must be good. Well-written genre fiction with depth, that's just what I'm looking for"
>get his Penguin Classics-approved collection of short stories from the library
>read some of the most flowery, inauthentic, thesaurus-abusing fiction I've ever read in my life
Is...is it all a joke or something? One of his characters, a psychiatrist working on a Wednesday, just referred to an unfortunate patient of his by saying (without a trace of irony), "Oh, woe is this Wednesday's child!"

"Oh, woe is this Wednesday's child!"

I sat rereading this line for about a full minute.

"Oh, woe is this Wednesday's child!"

Like, who are we trying to kid here? This is awful! This is BENEATH Stephen King. It's a community college student from Detroit posturing as a stuffy 19th century English aristocrat. What the fuck?!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So what you're saying is... the person who suggested him is an idiot? I feel like 9 out of every 10 suggestions I see here are terrible.

Ligotti is great.

youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k

Spoken word track with lyrics by Ligotti. The words crawl under your skin and stay there. Even without understanding the semantic meaning of what is being conveyed, they produce a powerful effect. Sign of a genius writer IMO.

Its a reference to the nursery rhyme dumbfuck

He's a post-modern author. Lot's of irony. Most people (especially men) don't pick up on that immediately.

Who the hell would say that out loud concerning a patient? It's stupid. I agree with OP.

>(You)

You don't have to make every post about women vs men, black vs white, etc.

Identity politics belong on

>>>/tumblr/

>especially men
>had to throw in something misandrist

Guaranteed replies, albeit somewhat justified if you happen to be a female (do they come here?) poster. Most of his readership, given the nature of his subjects, is probably male anyways. Also seeing irony and humor is just one reading of it. Further study into Ligotti reveals his worldview is bleak af even compared to writers who are bleak af, I don't think it's impossible to grasp that while understanding the irony.

>not realizing it's an falseflagging woman-hating specimen

Summer is here. Look at the fucking pic ffs.

And then noose yourself

>anonymous image board

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only human on this board and if this is all just a giant skinnerbox to assess where life guides my thoughts. Ridiculous obviously and I've never seriously believed it, but it shows the lengths to which I ponder who I am actually speaking to at times. I can't confirm beyond a doubt that there are no women here and even the darkest, deepest corners of online boards seems to have some stray female that continues to float around, despite it all. Even if it's in an especially masculine board such as this I'm sure they're lurking around somewhere and what better post to assume that a female is behind than one who, frustrated by having her opinion stifled due to her womanhood, posts how men lack the capacity to understand a particular text? It seems to me that if women were to appear anywhere it would be here due to their inclinations towards book clubs (reading is kind of like cooking in that most women do it even if men are the real masters of it).

Neither you nor I can confirm nothing.

hello anyone know where I can get a book called the Book of the Dead and is about paranormal games

I kind of agree with you. While I read some of these short stories I felt a tinge of self awareness and I even laughed at some things, but he still manages to covey uneasiness.

Memigotti's loved by pseuds but...

>his life story is humble and unpretentious
>has rave reviews from The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times Book Review, among others
>flowery, inauthentic, thesaurus-abusing fiction I've ever read in my life

If you're honestly posting shit like this you deserve to be memed as frequently and vigorously as possible.

>Muh miss anne dree
lmao go whine about microagressions somewhere else you whore

Just pointing out it would derail any substantial discussion and, lo and behold, it did. Personally I hardly care if whoever posted it thinks men are stupid pigs.

Definitely. I don't get how people don't see this. Every 10 line in The Conspiracy Against the Human Race there is a joke. Oblivious the overall message isn't ironic, but the book is hilarious at times. I laughed out loud at least once every two pages.

>thesaurus abusing

Have you ever read Lovecraft or Stephen King?

>Lovecraft
>thesaurus abusing

Lovecraft was just autistic. I doubt he ever used a thesaurus to write anything.

make more posts user

---------->r9k is over here kid

check your local library or bookstore. or you may even find it on the website they call amazon.

i'm angry that you made me read all that

>character is ridiculous
>therefore, the author is ridiculous!

Reading is lost on you spastics

meanwhile in an underground bunker some miles from Lake Michigan, inside the OPERATION ANONYMOUS server room..

>ALERT ALERT ALERT
>He's catching on! Fuck, Johnson do something!
>I don't know!!! Abort, abort, abort! Stop the simulation, mission failed!
>Wait! Call him a stupid faggot! Tell him to go to /r9k/! Say his post sucks!
>Damnit Lazarski you're a genius! Next round's on me.
>haha I have my moments chief.

You need to see a doctor

Too bad schizophrenia is untreatable, they'd just lock me in a room and put me on the not fun kind of pills.

Best to just smoke cigarettes, go on walks and hope the CIA starts putting more poision in my food so I die before I lose it completely.

Not defending the story because I haven't read it, but:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

>hear about Thomas Ligotti on Veeky Forums
Clearly not from me

If it's penguin classics-approved then it's great