Can someone explain the 'prose' meme

Can someone explain the 'prose' meme

I've been lurking here a while, but I still don't get this particular Veeky Forums meme of 'good prose'

Tell me Veeky Forums, what makes 'good prose'

>I don't personally like a piece of literature so I'll simply attack it as being 'bad prose'

It's simply if you think it's written well.
Many people hate prose stylists like McCarthy, although i've never met people who read a lot that don't absolutely adore him.
It just comes down to taste.
That, and not being boring as fuck, like Franzen.

Do you go on /mu/ and ask people to explain the "good music" meme? Fuck off.

Some guy will tell you something stupid like "good prose is 'normal writing' that pretends to be poetry",

but its not true

Unlike Veeky Forums, /mu/ isn't full of pretneious faggots who will simply refuse to listen to your opinion of you don't listen to beethoven and mozart, like you faggots are with 'muh greeks'

>good prose
>impressive cinematography
>commendable cocksmanship

Sounds the same.
>/mu/
>listening to classical
Don't make me laugh, bro, /classical/ are the most dead threads, even more so than /noise/.
/mu/ doesn't have taste anymore.

>/mu/ isn't full of pretneious faggots
You almost had me there

user, the Greeks meme and the prose meme are completely separate memes. Please at least try to grasp what memes are before memeing off about them.

It's all a matter of taste, or William Faulkner. :)

>tripfagging
fucking miserable people

Good writing that isn't poetry.

people say they 'liked the prose' when they can't think of anything to say

prose is just the textual surface of the pieces. obviously, any legitimately good author will have 'good prose'

Just finished As I Lay Dying, took some time to get used to the southern vernacular, but what a great story. Going to read more from him some time, I picked up AILD almost by accident.

Funny you say that since /mu/ was proto-Veeky Forums, the pleb/patrician dichotomy was born from its culture. Current /mu/ is memery, subjectivity, and confusion. But it was and still is a site of faggots who got their opinions from Pitchfork, whose degradation parallels /mu/'s.

>Veeky Forums rightfully called me a tasteless retard so I'm butthurt

bloo hoo hoo

Because good authors care about prose, because they like literature, unlike the others.

>/mu/ isn't full of pretneious faggots
W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

Are you sure you've ever been to /mu/? Perhaps you have difficulty interpreting simple social interactions? Are you, possibly, fucking retarded?

posting good prose

“I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defense the only arms I allow myself to use -- silence, exile, and cunning.”
― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

“Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race.”
― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

>/classical/ are the most dead threads
(not true, by the way)

“My speech is imperfect. Not because I want to shine with words, but out of the impossibility of finding those words, I speak in images. With nothing else can I express the words from the depths.”
― C.G. Jung

“Everything to come was already in images: to find their soul, the ancients went into the desert. This is an image. The ancients lived their symbols, since the world had not yet become real for them. Thus they went into the solitude of the desert to teach us that the place of the soul is a lonely desert. There they found the abundance of visions, the fruits of the desert, the wondrous flowers of the soul. Think diligently about the images that the ancients have left behind. They show the way of what is to come. Look back at the collapse of empires, growth and death, of the desert and monasteries, they are the images of what is to come. Everything has been foretold. But who knows how to interpret it?

When you say that the place of the soul is not, then it is not. But if you say that it is, then it is. Notice what the ancients said in images: the words is a creative act. The ancients said: in the beginning was the Word. Consider this and think upon it.

The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest.”
― C.G. Jung, The Red Book: Liber Novus

Wrong thread, moron.

Don't forget what comes after:
>Old father, old Artificer, stand me now and ever in good stead.

look in the mirror, shithead

continuing to post good prose

"Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart."
— Charles Dickens

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."
— Charles Dickens

"I don't like work--no man does--but I like what is in the work--the chance to find yourself. Your own reality--for yourself not for others--what no other man can ever know. They can only see the mere show, and never can tell what it really means."
— Joseph Conrad (Heart of Darkness)

"Your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others."
— Joseph Conrad (Heart of Darkness)

b2r

what

"He struggled with himself, too. I saw it -- I heard it. I saw the inconceivable mystery of a soul that knew no restraint, no faith, and no fear, yet struggling blindly with itself.
-Joseph conrad
"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."
— Hunter S. Thompson

"We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and—in spite of True Romance magazines—we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely—at least, not all the time—but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness."
— Hunter S. Thompson

“The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words, so that I can talk to him?”
― Zhuangzi

“All attempts to create something admirable are the weapons of evil. You may think you are practising benevolence and righteousness, but in effect you will be creating a kind of artificiality. Where a model exists, copies will be made of it; where success has been gained, boasting follows; where debate exists, there will be outbreaks of hostility.”
― Zhuangzi

“The sage is still not because he takes stillness to be good and therefore is still. The ten thousand things are insufficient to distract his mind - that is the reason he is still.”
― Zhuangzi

>look in the mirror, shithead
Are you fucking retarded? Jung didn't even write those words. He wrote the passage IN GERMAN.

>Charles Dickens
Dickens is well known for being a shitty prose stylist.

Take you trolling back to /b/, you embarrassing ignoramus.

Hey dumbfuck -- good prose isn't "nifty quotes I saw on a poster once". Go back to plebbit with this horseshit.

doesn't matter, the prose is still good.

dickens could shit down your throat and it would be better prose than anything you could write in 1000 years.

ey cocksucka, suck my cock

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us."
-hesse

Yes Dickens is well known for being a shitty prose stylist, but solely on Veeky Forums, where the population obviously feel that having a contradictory opinion to that of the majority of reputable critics shows independent thought.
Please direct me to 5 sources of reputable critics who agree that Dickens was a poor prose stylist. Surely that shouldnt be too difficult if it is that well known.
I eagerly await your ad hominem arguments and lack of sources.

>user thinks any author he dislikes is Reddit tier

Your obnoxious negativity is not needed on this board. Please leave or chill out.

Goddamn user read at least more than one thread before making outrageous claims like that

Good prose is just writing that reads in an astoundingly beautiful way.

I believe the style that prose expresses is a manifestation of the work's sense as well. Now, I don't mean sense as in a logical link, but as a aesthetically instrument that is the flow of the text, its structure, its design as an individual work of art. Somebody mentioned McCarty for example, his experimentation in prose style seems to be a vehicle to portray in an intuitive way (more than a technical way) the situations of his characters and their surroundings, In BM the narration of violence has that same tendency in prose as the narration of peaceful landscapes. (I don't know if i'm being clear)

I got it user, and you are right. But prose and it's beauty then become the subject of opinion. We can tell that Mcarthy isn't the same as a harry Potter fan fic, but do we like his prose, beautiful of course, but does it speak to me? I believe a masterful book needs prose and a compelling argument to why it matters, or else what's the point of reading through the prose and not instead just poetry?

Slipknot is an American heavy metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. The band was founded in September 1995 by percussionist Shawn Crahan and bassist Paul Gray. After several lineup changes in its early years, the band settled on nine members for more than a decade: Corey Taylor, Mick Thomson, Jim Root, Paul Gray, Craig Jones, Sid Wilson, Shawn Crahan, Chris Fehn and Joey Jordison. Gray died on May 24, 2010, and was replaced from 2011–14 by former guitarist Donnie Steele. Jordison left the band on December 12, 2013. Steele left during the recording sessions for .5: The Gray Chapter because he wanted to focus on his marriage. The band is now touring with replacement musicians Alessandro Venturella on bass and Jay Weinberg on drums. After the departure of Jordison, as of December 2015 the only founding member in the current lineup is percussionist Shawn Crahan; the other remaining members of Slipknot have been members since the release of the band's 1999 eponymous debut.

I agree, there's always a relativistic position on the taste of prose. However, I also think (As, i interpret, you imply) that we cannot diminish the struggle of a profound prose, like McCarty or Nabokov.

With this I also mean that our "criticism" based on prose is valid only if we can convey our opinions on the whole of the work we are discussing on. To be honest my ideas on prose and such are influenced by Roman Ingarden's reflexions on literature as a phenomenological analysis, I recommend him.

None of these Facebook-worthy aphorisms are relevant to this thread.

>Unlike Veeky Forums, /mu/ isn't full of pretneious faggots

I hate board tourists so much.

Most of them barely read yet feel compelled to come here and make endless threads crying about "pretentious" people like they are somehow holding them back from doing so.

How about you just read more? How about that.

>I've been lurking here a while
That's your problem. Read more booooookz and you'll eventually learn to enjoy prose.