Paperback Vs hardcover

What do you guys prefer? I plan to pass on my books so I buy hard cover copies and try to take good care of them. Paperback just seems to get worn even if you're careful with it. Inb4 ebooks

I prefer paperbacks because they're much easier to hold while reading and I don't get all butthurt when I inevitability thrash them.
I get hardcovers of only my favorites

Hardcover if the binding is sewn (Knopf, Doubleday, Everyman's, Library of America, Folio, etc.)

>Hardcover
Favorite novels, gifts, books you plan on using as decor only

Ebooks because I like paying rent.

I'm kind of split between them, but most of what I own is paperbacks. Hardcovers are much nicer looking but I always found them a bit uncomfortable to read. I'm very gentle on my stuff, all the paperbacks I own look pretty much new despite taking them on the bus with me.

Glued bindings on hardcovers piss me off so fucking much.
I'm a mathematics student, and a big chunk of the good graduate-level resources are published by Springer, who recently switched over to CreateSpace-tier PoD books with bindings that crack in half the first time you open them.

Yeah, and I bet they're still expensive as all hell.

Yeah, but I bet you could afford to pre-order Fallout 4 once it was announced.

Not all of us are poor

Yeah, you're still looking at about $60-70USD for something that's essentially a printout of the e-book hot glued together.

I do my best to stick to better quality publishers on things I have to buy, but they publish so much stuff that's basically canonized that avoiding them is very hard.

>60-70 usd
Yeah no try 200 plus for most of my textbooks. I wish I could get textbooks for 60 or 70 dollars

Don't really care either way. I don't care about books, and am not interested in reading them. You can take that fancy stuff you read and stick it.

>Yeah no try 200 plus for most of my textbooks.
What the hell are you reading?

I had some freshman courses with Pearson stuff that goes for $150-ish new but I've never seen a text over 200 dollars.

Half of my professors publish their "own" textbooks and charge stupid prices for them. Required for the class, I had one sell a loose leaf textbook for 120 dollars that wasn't even bound.

Don't play games

>Half of my professors publish their "own" textbooks
Those are the worst ones, because half the time there isn't even a copy anywhere online you can pirate.

At least the price-gouging mega companies have popular books with easy to find torrents

It is the worst, and you can't pass it down because the next semester they won't change a single word but move the chapters around so the new students buy the new edition. My roommate when I was a freshman spent almost 2k on books his first semester.

Someone needs to make one of those >Veeky Forums images with this post.

I mostly have hardbound books, essentially covered with cloth and leather. It's prettier and much more convenient wherever I want to cross-check and need the book to remain open on my desk. It's also more resistant so I have no trouble taking several with me on train, bus or while travelling. My favourite ones may have gone through 8,000 miles.

Paper back is for reading

Hardcover is for collecting

This shit should be illegal

One of my professors did this exact shit, but he didn't even change the words or chapters

All he did was write new home work questions at the end of each chapter and homework was 30% of your grade.

I actually ended up finding older copies at the school library and he hadn't changed the book at all in five years.

He charged $150 for it too and there were 60 people in my class. He taught four other classes each semester.

No ebook either, it was just a small paperback

60 students per class
4 classes per semester
150 per book

60x4x150= $36,000 per semester just for books

Had the opposite situation with a professor this spring. Literally told us not to buy the trash published edition and that if we were interested he could just give us a copy of his book which he used in class along with other secondary sources of the like.

For the thread: Hardcover for thicker books, fuck dust covers though. In general paperback is preferred for comfort while reading.