What do you guys think of these hardcovers?

What do you guys think of these hardcovers?
the superior way of starting with literature? I mean it looks like it includes seminal works of literature and the design is superb.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/1i8opl/anybody_else_collect_the_barnes_and_noble/
youtube.com/watch?v=ytFAVUlRIp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>the design is superb
this is bait

>tumblr pic

>superb

>stephen king and game of thrones novels barely out of view on the 2nd shelf

great shelf.

Well user, I think you should kill yourself

Stephen King is literally in view on the first shelf

I like Anna Karenina.

better than lit starter pack, desu

Horrendously baroque

Gaudy

they're terrible but I admit I've had the Poe one for a long time

I say this without sarcasm:
"Reddit."
Spine designs for the video game man-child crowd.

>do i fit yet XD

I can't stand publications that put more than one novel into a single volume. If you're going to spend extra dough to have a nice looking book on a shelf, why not have some individuality?

>3 Ray Bradbury Books
>Fahrenheit 451 isn't one of them

Do you mean fit in?

They are pretty bad

They look cheap and cartoony. The only people that buy these are pseuds who care more about projecting an image of readership than actually embodying it - genrewhores affecting profundity & literacy.

Owning one or two might be a pleasant novelty, but seeing them all lined up like that is really off-putting.

>the new ones have a yellow spine
reeee

The very definition of the garish middlebrow aesthetic.

Like the mugs, are they from Georgia Renfaire?

Shit on top of your book case is gay though, like get a proper real sword at least omfg.

Yes but that one is part of the collection so it can be overlooked, for sake of theme he may have bought a big bundle, its the ones on the 2nd shelf that really prove how pleb he is cause he bought those individual of his own will.

It shows that you collect only for aesthetic purposes.

>tfw this is my own pic that i posted 3 years ago on reddit
even I am ashamed to own these books now, user. im considering just giving them to charity or something cuz of how much cringe i feel looking at them now.
here's my original post, it's the only proof i'm gonna give: reddit.com/r/books/comments/1i8opl/anybody_else_collect_the_barnes_and_noble/

>implying his best works aren't short stories.

>tfw was really tempted to buy the complete sherlock and complete shakespeare because it was buy one get one half off but I knew lit would make fun of me so I have to hold out for expensive $80+ editions on ebay
>tfw what would cost $35 for both together in nice single volumes will cost me somewhere around $150 so I don't look like a pleb

Holy shit who cares. They look neat and they'll last way longer than most other editions.

I have the complete Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft's fiction, their the only editions I've seen of each that are complete. There are much better editions of Shakespeare though.

What do you suggest, anonymous.

>That sword
I puked.

I have the third ed. Norton Shakespeare but I've heard Riverside and Oxford editions are great.

i'd read the shit out of any of those books i don't give a fuck

why would you need ornate versions of fathers and sons or pere goriot? it's not like you're going to revisit them

>seminal works
>only includes three important authors

dickens, poe, wilde?

Paper is a plebian matetial for holding text.

A true litician inscribes his characters on parchment. Parchment is truly the superior writing medium.

Parchment gives a reader the tactile sensation of soft thin fabric. You know it is handcrafted by a master parchment maker from the flesh of a living animal.

Parchment weathers age far better than paper. It can be cut and sewn and reused and scraped to be rewritten.

-patrician

I'll never tell ;^)

Trinkets for people who want to be seen as readers without going through the burden of actually reading.

Also Arden. I have the Oxford editions but Pappy Bloom recommends Arden.

Dickens, Wilde, Hemingway, and GGM are all great authors. Dracula is an important book as well.

so perfect for lit

>implying anyone interacts with Veeky Forums enough to see their bookshelves

This reminds me, I need to find out if the Folio Press edition of the Count of Monte Cristo and pick up a copy if it is. My college had a copy I thumbed through and it's really nicely done up.

*If it's unabridged.

pls help guys. I just walked in on my wifes son and he's been pacing my room for hours ever since he saw this thread I assume. He just keeps muttering to himself "This is reddit, this is memes!" over and over again. he wont stop what should I do?

>the design is superb

Superbly retarded? They're so tacky, anyone with a modicum of taste could see that. Honestly I would expect better even of leddit.

It's not even real leather, it's "bonded leather" ie the particle board of the leather goods world.

These aren't much better. Still tacky, still fake leather, still fake gilt. There's a reason you can buy easton and folio press books for a few dollars each at a thrift store. It's something designed to appeal to old tea ladies.

Hey user, Tyrone here. If that's your wife I have some bad news for you my man. She handled more than just shells that day :)

>She handled more than just shells that day :)
what did you mean by this?

>i have autism

Works of art desu

the one hundred years of solitude one is pretty nice actually. aside from the folio society one i can't think of a better edition of the book

Yeah this.

This guy has some reasonable modern editions:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytFAVUlRIp8

I got a few of them, as a gift. Æsop's Fables and The Count of Monte Cristo are actually quite nice. Also, this thread

>not realizing being so vain about how your books look like is the true mark of superficial middlebrows

I think those are quite handsome designs. I just have no idea why someone would want an anthology of books like that.

this makes me want to hang myself in the nearest closet

Shit, nigga, use that big reader imagination :)

You're simply mistaken.

It's not about vanity. You could buy normal and attractive looking copies of those books for the same price you would pay at barnes and noble. It's stupid to buy ugly and tasteless objects when you can avoid it at no cost to yourself. Speaking of which, you could get all of those books for free at pretty much any library. Most of B&N's assault on book design is facilitated by the books themselves being in the public domain. You could download them for free off the internet and not even break the law.

I hate these garish monstrosities so much.

I thought the superior way of starting with literature is actually reading literature