Is this even worth reading in English?

Is this even worth reading in English?

I want to get a head start on the new Veeky Forums meme trilogy but I don't want to blatantly waste money either.

>head start

nigga 2666 went through at least 2 cycles of memed -> ignored -> memed against already

You don't understand, user.

These new memes represent an entirely new school of literary thought for us to idolize, and a refreshingly daunting example that we can use to appear superior to other boards.

I, for one, welcome our new memetic overlords.

you haven't read this yet?

I think the translation is really bad. There's an interview with Wimmer and a guy in the audience asks about translating the puns that some character was making and she didn't know there were any.

I question her command of the Spanish language.

Gass and McElroy are shit.

You will miss a lot of stuff, like the vocabulary and expressions he uses: he switches to the Spanish that is spoken in the region in which the action takes place not only for dialogue, but also for narrating: mexico, madrid, basque country... Pretty amazing. Bolaño's command of the Spanish language is incredible.

It's still worth reading in English though

>Gass and McElroy are shit.
Nah. That's just a bad opinion.

>two six six six
>twenty-six sixty-six
>two thousand six hundred sixty six
>dos seis seis seis

Didn't Hemingway do something similar with switching between the different regional dialects of Spanish and displaying the differences through English?

if you havent read all of these books before last week you're already a pleb forever

give it up it's hopeless

>Gass and McElroy are shit.
Wow, nice opinion, bruh.

lol are there really people who have actually read Women and Men

evidently not, since they don't even print it anymore

Academics don't write masterpieces. Plus On Being Blue is better than The Tunnel.

Women and Men is so bad even the author is preventing its publishing.

English is the only language worth reading anything in

>Academics don't write masterpieces
Undoubtedly the dumbest thing ever said on Veeky Forums. In fact, it's so bad, I don't even care about how dumb the rest of your post is.

I get what he is saying re: Gass though. His fiction is dry shit. Guy is much too smart to write a masterpiece

How could you even read a sentence of The Tunnel and come out with the opinion that it's dry?

That's silly. Read The Pedersen Kid and tell me it's not the greatest short story ever written.

DFW loved Women and Men...

Memed by old, halfwitted, shit attempts at memeing.

Which is nothing like the MemeQuads.
I'm with this user. They restore our beloved superiority.

Stop constantly saying meme, you underage faggot

He said reading it was like drinking canal water.

I know. He did, but that's shit in terms of meme propaganda.

Glad there are some critical anons out there.

On that note, he also loved Omensetter's Luck.

It is, read it faggot

I've wanted to start Bolaño for a while but I've been putting it off until I learn Spanish properly.

My native language is Portuguese so I could probably understand the Spanish already but I'm afraid of missing things. Do you know if the portuguese translation is any good? It's bound to be right? the languages being so similar and all...

there's no point in reading a book if you're not the author of it otherwise you'll miss out on most of it

i kekked

>Dosmil seis ciento sesenta y seis

The prose is not very complicated. He goes into some surreal dreamlike bits, but it's mostly symbolic and philosophical and it's all very open ended, as one of the themes of the book is chaos and random violence.

I tried reading Lispector in portuguese and I was surprised to understand quite a lot of it. I'm not sure hoe they compare but it felt similar, so you might have a not so difficult time with it. There is a collection of his poetry put out by New Directions which is dual language, english on one side, spanish on the other. take a look at that and see what you can take from it.

Stop saying faggot you edgy virgin

So tru bruh

faggot

It's a long book with shit everything, bad plot, bad prose, bad narrative.
It has no redeeming qualities other than being long and tedious. Any doorstopper is better than that shit

t. pleb

go back to reading infinite meme

>reading translations

>I, for one....
Reddit

I read the portuguese translation and I think it was good. There are translator's notes once every few pages to help out with some regional stuff.

If only the originals were as cheap and as easy to find as translations...

so how is it in English you stupid fucks. answer the man's question jesus christ.

It's not worth reading because it was written in a filthy fucking language.

Simpsons actually, but thanks for outing yourself, redditor.

On Being Blue and the Tunnel are completely different books. One is a novel! Why compare them?