Opinions on Cormac McCarthy?

Opinions on Cormac McCarthy?

Other urls found in this thread:

avclub.com/article/harold-bloom-on-iblood-meridiani-29214
youtube.com/watch?v=dEVX42Pg1xw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's one of my favorite writers. I often reread his script for The Counselor and sit back in awe of how badly Ridley Scott changed it and fucked it up.

ye

I've only read No Country for Old Men. Found it tough going to be honest, great story but the writing was a bit quirky. Sentences could last for a whole page with "and" being every 5th or 6th word.

:)

Have you read or watched The Sunset Limited? It thought it was adapted pretty well once you get over Tommy Lee Jones' acting.

In the copies of The Orchard Keeper and Outer Dark they had at my library, someone had underlined every occurrence of the word 'dark', which got pretty ridiculous at times.
Still one of my favorite authors, though.

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shillelagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

It's his worst book I've read. It was written like it was meant to be a movie, and I think the movie was alot stronger. That said, Blood Meridian is a masterpiece and one of the best books I've read post 1980s. Child of God and the Road are also amazing.

I haven't seen it! It should be on HBO GO though I think I'll watch it.

I wonder if The Counselor has soured him on writing screenplays.

Jones' acting was phenomenal, Jackson phoned it in

Corncobber

>dude im a disciple of faulkner lmao
>proceeds to have absolutely none of the nuance of Faulkner

Tortillas YeCarthy, Corncob. A puffed up peddler of folksy yarns about spitting and murder. A total charlatan.

Cormac power ranking:

>The Orchard Keeper
Decent
>Outer Dark
Pretty good
>Child of God
Very good
>The Gardener's Son
meh
>Suttree
Excellent
>Blood Meridian
Sublime
>All The Pretty Horses
Great
>The Crossing
Great
>The Stonemason
Decent
>Cities of The Plain
Good, especially the end
>No Country for Old Men
OKAY
>The Sunset Limited
Excellent
>The Road
Good
>The Counselor
Meh

At his best, pretty good; at his worst, pretty bad. If you want consistently good corncob tales, take a look at the corncob king--Faulkner.

>all these faggots sucking bloom's dick

gaaaaay

you know bloom likes yecarthy right?

>he spat and rode on

>

I wonder if there was a formal ceremony in 1962 in which Will Faulkner physically "passed the corncob" to his younger acolyte Cormac McCarthy.

that's irrelevant.

>power "rank"ing
>isn't ranked in order

wew

anyway you list is shit

correct power ranking:

Suttree - Redeemable
Rest of the drivel by Corncob Tortillas YeCarthy-
All Shit

How

Of course he doesn't. YeCarthy fags tend to have an extra chromosome or two.

Bloom thought BM was the best American novel of the late 20th century though

Your life is a meme

idiot

Source?

No, he gave that honor to Pynchon's Mason & Dixon:

Well, we have four living writers in America who have, in one way or another, touched what I would call the sublime. They are McCarthy, of course, with Blood Meridian; Philip Roth, particularly with two extraordinary novels, the very savage Sabbath’s Theater and American Pastoral, which I mentioned before; Don DeLillo’s Underworld, which is a little long for what it does but nevertheless is the culmination of what Don can do; and, of course, the mysterious figure of Mr. Pynchon. I don’t know what I would choose if I had to select a single work of sublime fiction from the last century, it probably would not be something by Roth or McCarthy; it would probably be Mason & Dixon, if it were a full-scale book, or if it were a short novel it would probably be The Crying Of Lot 49. Pynchon has the same relation to fiction, I think, that my friend John Ashbery has to poetry: he is beyond compare.

avclub.com/article/harold-bloom-on-iblood-meridiani-29214

If I'm not mistaken he mentions that in his introduction to it in the Modern Library edition, he considered Gravity's Rainbow, Sabbath's Theater, and Blood Meridian the top three novels written in the US in the late 20th century. I think he ends up putting BM slightly higher than the other two though.

Amazing pos5

This is why I come to this board

I thought Sunset Limited was great. For an almost 2 hour play with only two old guys in one room it was very engaging

>In the copies of The Orchard Keeper and Outer Dark they had at my library, someone had underlined every occurrence of the word 'dark'

when will this meme die, it's not funny at all

Decent ranking, but I think The Crossing is McCarthy's best

you guys confuse me

I don't know which side is the meme one now

you've all been praising this cunt for years and now there's a bunch of you calling him a meme and a hack

so what the fuck? is he good or not? I've wanted to read him for a long time, but I don't wanna waste ten euros on a shit book

It's in my top three for sure

What does it mean to be a "meme"?

Some people, myself included, really like his work. Some people really don't.

he's a great author, Veeky Forums calls him a meme partly because he's popular and thus is not acceptable to be a laudable figure on Veeky Forums, and partly because Blood Meridian is extremely violent which attracts edgelord teenagers who are just one rung removed from jerking off to Chuck Pahlaniuk novels

He's a corncobber. Unless you like stories about dirt n' tobacky n' spittin he's not worth your time.

I'm pretty sure it's just literally one guy

>a meme
>not an accurate satire of mccarthy's cringe inducing hack writing

there are people here who've been praising infinite meme and GRRM for years too. means nothing. he's a meme.

Why haven't you killed yourself already?

you have a shocking lack of ability to discern talent. Why are you even here? To ruin other would-be readers' time with your turdish, idiotic opinions? You must be very unhappy

>this is what yecarthyfags try to make you believe

>accurate satire
>not just some dumb faggot being a dumb faggot

What's a meme?

except it's true. In the last 10 posts the unique poster counter has risen by 3, meaning the memer is just samefagging all over the place

He's an average author who writes some really unremarkable books and some decent stuff. Very provincial, half a step away from genre. Slightly better Stephen King, but not as famous - but still very much a "mass market" author. Attracts a lot of insufferable fans.

>getting so mad when your tastes get attacked that you project your loneliness

How fucking embarrassing

Such is the existence of a Corncob tortillas YeCarthy loving pseud lel

Btfo

To be honest, I am a little mad that you're spewing such faggotry which actually might deter somebody from reading a good author. Like some three year old smearing his shit on the walls so mommy will notice he's special

> yfw the samefagging is transparent af

>good author

Spat out my earl grey right there

samefag

>ye spat

I hate new lit so much lol, everything's a meme war between autists

>dude violence lmao
>dude texas and mexico lmao
>dude no punctuation lmao

How the fuck is the old corncobbing shit a good author?

how do you kill that which has no life

(You)

(autism)

>Yecarthy redditor still thinks autism is a hot insult on Veeky Forums

Predictable.

>says yecarthy for the 83rd time and accuses of reddit
>not predictable

McCarthy is redditcore.

>is a mad pleb

hot insults

Is this autism?

so is this board officially /mu/ pt 2 now?

class, observe the wild cocksucking faggots. see how they can't leave each other alone. watch their noxious idiocy.

fascinating, isn't it.

dubs confirm inferior bantz

Leave the obnoxious "lol so smart" vernacular on reddit you annoying faggot.

Also, you can't check your own dubs

what a hateful little weasel

I hate that people like you visit this board. You are literally a suck on whatever enjoyment people could possibly get from discussion here

>I hate that people like you visit this board.

Haters like you will never find love. You live in a prison of your own making.

k. I still hate your presence on this forum

While I disagree with your opinion, I will fight tooth and nail for your right to express it. Go in peace, ye blustery fopdoodle ye.

Does anyone have a link to that cringe-y YouTube video where (if memory serves) this guy is drunk and standing in his bathroom, reading off some copypasta he taped to the ceiling ridiculing Blood Meridian/Cormac McCarthy? (Whom he keeps calling "Corncob Tortilla Yecarthy"; fucking epic lol!)

Anyway, he posted it to Veeky Forums a few months ago, but I haven't been able to find it since. Maybe he deleted it out of embarrassment.

youtube.com/watch?v=dEVX42Pg1xw

Love him. A giant. One would have liked to watch him adjust his belt buckle after a hearty dish of beans.

Is the 3 hr extended directors cut or whatever any good?

He created:

One for the critics (Blood Meridian. Considered a masterpiece by all that still care.)

One for hollywood (No Country For Old Men, a screenplay-turned-novel, won Coen the 'adapted' academy award)

One for the kids (All The Pretty Horses taught in high-schools)

One for the masses (The Road)

And one for the boys (Suttree. A cult classic)

And pre-success he wrote professionally for 28 years without cashing a royalty check. An admirable man. A NEET's NEET if you will.

is this pasta?

Based user. Thanks.

go to bed bloom

pynchon is even worse than mccarthy

His very memey but is honestly a great writer.
BM, Suttree and ATPH are all top books.

Suck it up you little bitch. This isn't reddit.

How is this cringey? He doesn't say anything that isn't true. He doesn't even seem drunk.

>t. / lit

I've only read Suttree. What other books of McCarthy should I read?

Rather that than reddit, you fit that bill nicely

No, stay away from the film at all costs.

He's good but he's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Pick up Child of God and The Road cheap on Amazon and make up your own opinion on him - those are pretty short reads.

AND HE ATE THE TORTILLA

Could you elaborate on how Scott's version is different?
I hated the film and couldn't bring myself to read the script because I figured it would be just as bad.

k. I still hate your presence on this forum

Every time I watch this I consider finding this guy and jerking off on his massive faggot forehead. Nothing worse than someone who is completely unfunny but thinks he is being clever as fuck

Nobody cares.