Old Thread:

>Patrick Rothfuss

Why?

goodreads.com/new_releases/2016/6

The Dragons Of Babel.

Shit, does 2008 count as new?

>that feel when you're an adult and consider everything past 2000 new

>good

Yeah sure, anything 21st century-ish really. Looks cool.

The Iron Dragon's Daughter

If you like

>mfw the only Wolfe books my local book store has are The Knight, like 5 copies of Peace, and A Borrowed Man

Listen man, I like Swanwick and I love that book, but your relentless shilling isn't doing us any favors.

I don't want IDD to become a meme. It deserves better than that.

The Dragon Waiting

GW considers Peace his best work so dont skip that one

There he goes again.
Fuck off.

It'd be nice if he elaborated on it more often. I'm thinking of making copypastas for frequently inquired books.

is there a reason every response to this is something with 'dragon' in the title?

anyway, I'd suggest shades of grey by fforde

>shades of grey
ehhhh no?

The Eyes of the Dragon, 427 pages

why no? are you confusing it with another book of a similar title?

Have you read it? It's quite good.

It´s shitty erotica for women

Stop feeding the trolls plz

Is it possible to filter out books in goodreads? I Don't want female authors

Why are you such an misogynist? Are you mad that women prefer black men to you?

Try not visiting that awful site, or just using it for the occasional review.

The City of Dreaming Books

Is it possible to filter out posts on Veeky Forums? I Don't want whiny bitches

You wouldn't be able to see your own posts then...

>Procrastinating on reading Malazan by studying for the exam

Am I confused or shouldn't it be the other way around

Are you trolling or really this retarded?

That's fine, I already have to live with myself.

>I'd suggest shades of grey by fforde
Great book.

Interesting. I'm procrastinating on reading Malazan by reading Great Documents of Western Civilization.

You must be thinking of "50 Shades of Grey", asshat.

"Shades of Grey" is dystopian novel by Jasper Fforde.

Anyone read R scott bakker? I hear there's a new book comming out, dunno what to think.

One of the better new gen authors, I recommend him.

The Unholy Consult are pretty cool guys

Especially if you're a fan of black semen and literally perfect trapfus

Only wolfe books at my store is Sword of the Lictor, The Land Across, and the copy of Devil in a Forest I bought.

What books are you looking forward to this year?

None.

correct answer

The Great Ordeal comes out in 34 days

Get fucking hyped

Jerusalem looks mental, I'll pick up The Long Cosmos just because it's the last thing we'll ever get from Pterry, maybe The Last Days of New Paris too (love a bit of surrealism).

Grumpyguts.

Blood Mirror
Hopefully Winds of Winter but no way it's getting out this year

Baldr;Heart and Senmono

I'm glad Shades of Grey is finally getting some love.

It's like a dystopian Lightbringer except much more creative, with better prose and a touch of existential horror.

MAN EATING ROADS

>It's like a dystopian Lightbringer

But does it have magic?
If so, what is it like?

There's no magic (it's scifi rather than fantasy). It's similar to Lightbringer because of the heavy focus on colours and the properties that they possess and the importance of colour to their society.

That's a shame.
I'll give it a look when I feel the need for some scifi

I know it's a corny selection, and I'll probably get lambasted, but I really really want to re-read the Frank Herbert Dune series again.

So are dumping art

>You will never watch Jodorowsky's Dune

We're living in a world of unfulfilled dreams and fulfilled nightmares.

gonna reread it now.

How can you reread things after you already know what happens?

Any sf written before the 90s
Multi volume bricks are a recent development

He said new books though.

Come at me bro

oh look its my flashdrive

That's an old one, since added a borrowed man

For fun. Dune is a special series in my heart, it just becomes easier for me to visualize the longer I go on, more art I get into. Challenging myself to reimagine it differently.

How can you read a non GRI approved book?

He's probably baiting. Anyone whose read more than 5 books in their life knows that there are many books well worth the re-read, and truly, you dont even really know a book until you've read it multiple times.

Because I like reading. I haven't read Dune through Chapterhouse in around four years.

>Latro books arent together
>Shitty editions of BOTNS
>Shitty edition of Amber
>Shitty edition of 5HOC

At least you have the superior version of The Wizard Knight

Not everyone likes GRI you know

I'm not baiting, I haven't reread any book, the same way that I can't rewatch movies, it's just so boring, since you know everything that happens

The Latro books aren't together because the books are arranged in chronological order of publication you fucking retard

Gollanz fantasy and sf masterworks was not shitty, troll harder

I guess if plot is all you care about that's it then, not saying its bad, but that's as far as you can get with a book if that's your only focus.

When you first read a book as a child, you do your best to visualize it through the eye of film. The more aware you become of art history, or just art in general, the more you can see what an author is going for in terms of visuals.

Dune is drenched in just a smash of Baroque and Art Nouveau imagery. It'd be neat to reread it from that point, and get a better idea of what Herbert saw this convoluted and beautiful fantastical civilization looking like civilization

I've read through all the books except for his shit sons three times. I feel like I'm at a point where I'd like to reread them again to just, come up with a different memory of them. Something more beautiful in my mind's eye I guess.

Fifteen year old detected.

>Dune is drenched in just a smash of Baroque and Art Nouveau imagery.
Post some examples. I never imagined Dune through the lens of film but of orientalist, romantic and historical oil paintings. Only read the series once so it would be interesting to revisit it with a new perspective.

I have no real current reason to assume this is what he was going for, but I see a lot of Alphonse Mucha in the character descriptions. As for the Baroque it depends on the setting. I see a lot of it in the more higher houses, like Corrino and Atreides. I still see orientalism in the more exotic locales, but there's so much clashing setting, it makes it an interesting reread.

I can't get out of my head Paul looking like Mucha's depiction of Sarah Bernhardt playing Lorenzo de' Medici, from Alfred de Musset's Lorenzo

>you will never have a bro like samwise

I gave Dune a very Renaissance and Byzantine meets Star Wars look when I read it.

Why is Tolkien so based?

And why is all other fantasy so shit in comparison?

The Vindication of Man

They're only shit when they try to be Tolkien.

>Renaissance and Byzantine meets Star Wars
I always imagined it similar to the aesthetic of the prequels, particularly Naboo and the Jedi temple

God there are so many great ideas of Lady Jessica in Mucha's commercial art.

Not to drone on and on but I see a lot of Gustave Klimt in depictions of, Princesses, the Bene Gesserit. Royalty and so on so forth. Less as obvious as Lynch made them as Nuns of some sort, and more as they were described being easily to meld into Lansraad aristocracy. Having their own uniforms would defeat the purpose.

>Why is Tolkien so based?
I think there are many reasons, his education, fulfilling life, faith, slight autism and so forth all resulting in a very comfy author who wrote a great mythological work.

youtu.be/Tz9cETyteww

youtube.com/watch?v=m4SwFhfNh1w

Neat.
I wish Brian Eno had made the entire soundtrack, would have given the film a very different feel.

true/100

I've been reading Lovecraft's Dream Cycle and I want more in a similar vein, any recommendations? It's so different from contemporary fantasy.

23 actually

Yes I do care most about the plot, and what happens. Most of the subtext is lost on me, though sometimes I see references or metaphors about nazism, totalitarianism or any kind of feminist ideology being painted in a bad light somehow, even if subtly, which pisses me off. For example the instant travel in Stormlight Archives is a very clear reference to having open borders and it being a positive thing while the ones who are shardbearers (the one with the spren alive) are the ones controlling it ie the global elite

The person who influenced his Dream Cycle, Lord Dunsany.