France

Ireland/Germany

America

Italy

Spain

///POWER GAP///

Irrelevant

English for me, thanks

France = Russia > America = England > Germany > Ireland = Italy > Spain > Everybody Else

Spain = Argentina

For starters
>Ireland and Germany on same level
>Japan irrelevant

I pity you

>England>France>Ireland/Germany
So you're English, and hoping nobody notices you don't speak Russian or Greek?

You wish you could have this literary tradition tier: Great Britain

Unfortunately started to believe its own hype tier: France

We wrote something 500 years ago tier: Italy

Diamonds in a sea of shit tier: all of Latin America

So culturally bankrupt their only worthwhile work is written by expats tier: India

You have 1 billion people and you've produced how many great works? tier: China

All head, no heart tier: classical Greek

all heart, no head tier: modern African lit

Animals trying to be human tier: Russia

Literally just hundreds of pages of ululating: Arab literature

>Germany
>America
>Italy
>Spain
>at all
lol

>meme trilogy tier

Ireland, America

>God tier

UK, Russia

>awesome tier

France, Deutschland, Japan, antiquity Greece

>taco tier

Latin America, Spain

>generally irrelevant but with some outliers

everyone else

preety much...

Why does the American literary tradition suck so bad? Is it because Americans are retarded?

I know Americans are notoriously close-minded about other countries' literature, but you're no less close-minded for dismissing ours. I'm curious to hear what you think the best of American literature is.

Clearly I'm not a person you should be asking for "best of" recommendations since I think the entirety of the selection is garbage.
Thanks for proving my point about Americans being retarded, and being an asshole about it as well.

tao lin

Please, America dismisses its own tradition every twenty years and considers that generation done.

Stay mad that your poets suck major dick you filthy bong.

Russia

France

Germany

England

Oups forgot to put greeks on top.

>You wish you could have this literary tradition tier: Great Britain
Is it because GB wishes they could claim all the Irish authors? Gotta be tough when the people you colonised learn the language better.

No-one here honestly believes that X country's literary tradition can actually compare with works like Moby Dick and Leaves of Grass, not to mention a canon of writers including Faulkner, Pynchon, McCarthy, Thoreau, Crane, Pound and Eliot right?

Denmark > Sweden + Denmark 2 > Finnland > "Russia" (Chekhov + christfags from the time Russia was lagging behind the ROTW was therefore more SPIRITUAL. satyrists ignored save for Gogol.) > "Germoney" (Marx, Hesse, Nietzsche, Mann, Schopenhauer, 19th century philosophers) > Shakespeare > "France" (Existentialists and Sorbonnaut philosophers; contemporary authors) > "England" (Victorian women, Charles Dickens and Scotsmen describing Caribbean pirates. Also, Lewis Carrol and Bernard Shaw) > Dante > da Holy Writ > Soviet authors and Americans

der is oalso Rune Kipling. Add him to England.

Sterne, Swift, Wilde, Joyce, O'Brien, Kinsella, Heaney, Yeats, Synge, O'Connor, Stoker, Shaw, Beckett, Behan, Hearn, Burke, CS Lewis...

His question was perfectly valid since one can despise a tradition as a whole but still enjoy a few works within it.
>"best of"
Kek, this man can't into basic English usage but he thinks himself fit to judge art

Ireland is the only country that comes close to America in fiction.
America still has the greatest poetical canon of any nation.

>Clearly I'm not a person you should be asking for "best of" recommendations since I think the entirety of the selection is garbage.
>Thanks for proving my point about Americans being retarded, and being an asshole about it as well.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds: You misconstrued my post, and had the gall to call me a retarded asshole.

When I said,
>I'm curious to hear what you think the best of American literature is
I wasn't asking for recommendations, you miserable prick. I was asking what books you thought were "America's best" in order to understand what kind and caliber of books you're basing your negative opinions off of.

Look at a mirror before you start flinging around insults, shitstain.

Try harder.

Yes, that's why the majority of those executed as leaders of the independence movement in America were renowned poets too. pfffffftt

England is easily the best of those listed, it's not even close. Theirs is a tradition so strong that even their "internationally unimportant" poets are expert professionals: Landor, Housman, Cowper, etc

>try
You did all the work for me

>muh best
>muh favorite

If I'm trashing your shitty country's lit then obviously I don't have a high regard for it, retard. Why would you ask me what I think is "the best?" Would you show me a pile of turds and ask me to pick out the best?

So let's say I pick a book. Then what, you build a strawman in some unbearable pseud post about how I'm just not reading muh secret actual big boy americana lit.

"No senpai, that turd is clearly not the best. THIS turd, is the best."

It's quite obvious he's asking what the "least bad" books are, according to you.

You sperged about validity (as if this makes any fucking sense at all.)
I guess you mean "valid" in a logical sense, which is a dead giveaway that you're a pseud and also retarded, which is why I'm not really wasting time on you. All I'll reply is that you're wrong since can doesn't equal does.

Then you had a problem with best of. I'm sure you have a reason for why but I'm also sure it's incredibly autistic so I'm not really interested in hearing it.

Before you write your response you should know that I'm never going to read it because I'm bored with this and going offline now. You will always have to live with the fact that you didn't get the last word. You will always know that I casually rebuked you with finality. Your autistic little heart will shrivel with impotent rage as the chance to vent your frustrations against me via retarded trolling is denied.

>Pick out the best turd

>No, he actually meant "pick out the least bad turd"

Holy shit could you be any dumber

>You sperged about validity (as if this makes any fucking sense at all.)
>I guess you mean "valid" in a logical sense, which is a dead giveaway that you're a pseud and also retarded, which is why I'm not really wasting time on you. All I'll reply is that you're wrong since can doesn't equal does.
This is some of the stupidest shit I've read in my life. Yes, I was criticizing your logic, what else could I have been doing?
>Then you had a problem with best of. I'm sure you have a reason for why but I'm also sure it's incredibly autistic so I'm not really interested in hearing it.
It reveals your piss poor vocabulary "Best of" as an adjective- vulgar exceedingly
>Before you write your response you should know that I'm never going to read it because I'm bored with this and going offline now.
You'll read it, kek
>. You will always know that I casually rebuked you with finality. Your autistic little heart will shrivel with impotent rage as the chance to vent your frustrations against me via retarded trolling is denied.
This is true I guess tbqh

>some unbearable pseud post

That's funny, I would ascribe that designation to the person who's made three posts now without saying anything new, but rehashing the same one point—if it can even be called that—all the while evading my question with a bunch of angry, defensive hand-waving.

>Would you show me a pile of turds and ask me to pick out the best?

No, but I would ask you to pick out what you actually liked among a survey of such quintessentially entry-level American writers as Fitzgerald, Hemingway, or Faulkner. To compare the works of these writers to piles of turds is passably charming if ironic, and laughably pretentious if not. Any failure to find worth in even these basic works is just that—a failure.

I'm not here to have a dick-measuring contest. I'm genuinely interested in hearing you back up your claim that American literature is shit. Though if we're going with the turd analogy, I can't imagine you've read much American lit, unless you love consuming shit.

On second thought, it wouldn't surprise me.

So Moby-Dick, Mason and Dixon, Portrait of a Lady, and Jurgen are all trash to you?

>Before you write your response you should know that I'm never going to read it because I'm bored with this and going offline now. You will always have to live with the fact that you didn't get the last word.

I can only head this coming from a whiny 16 year old white boy trying to make his voice sound deep and authoritative. The effect is glorious.

whoaohhh...OP have cancer

kek, I'm saving his delicious pasta for future use

Might as well get what we can out of it

That last paragraph is pastaworthy, holy shit.

>India

Read Tagore in Bengali or Tamil poetry you fucking plebs. The modern novel in India is dead, but there are ancients that rival the Greeks and good colonial Veeky Forums that actually blends the works of it's oppressors.

Do you people not consider poetry at all and only focus on novels and other forms of european prose?

Being known by pleb americans isn't a valid confirmation.

Should we have considered African oral traditions in our discussion of literature?

Must cryptokikes such as yourself defile every discussion that excludes your precious niggers and other lesser races?

sad frogposter

Is this including poetry?

>awesome
kys

Russian classics are literaly 19th century /pol/

No, their skill is. That was the point of the post you mongoloid

Where are we situating the rest of the five eyes in this? In "English"?

Other than Joyce and Yeats (who was partly anglo) there is no one.

>he doesn't rate Sterne
wow, way to out pleb yourself

>Russia
Excellent XIXth century, but everything before is pretty poor

Spot on. Except America is in the lowest in the second tier.

>English literature
>being second highest

Beckett, but i'm not sure even Ireland can claim him over France

Nah they can have him.

FRANCE STRONK!

Behead the anglos

Greeks>Russia>france/Germany>england/irish

TOP TIER (THE GREATEST 50 YEAR PERIODS OF ALL TIME):
1880-1930 French
1930-1980 American
1880-1930 UK
1800-1850 Russian

SECOND TIER (STILL ELITE)
1590-1640 England
1830-1880 France
1880-1930 German
1950-2000 German
Ancient Greek General

THIRD TIER (STILL GREAT)
1960-2010 Latin America
1900-1950 Russian
1920-1970 Eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary, etc.)

>americans (including you) are retarded
>thanks for being an asshole

lol
pretty good bait

>Pynchon

what the fuck?

>not 1640-1690 France
Please

Yeah, I agree I should have included that somewhere.. threw this together real quick im sure im missing other good periods as well..

>Spot on.
>Russia above England
Not even close

>Russia
>posts pic of Gogol

the O N L Y conceivable reason for ranking high is limiting your scope to the pernicious form we call "the novel," which is not only already far past its expiration date, but also one of the youngest literary forms we have. even granting the novel, though, America and Ireland are much higher .

Well, he was born in the Russian Empire after all

He's russian

He was Ukrainian by ethnicity. (A current example would be a writer like Azad Zal, who is Kurdish) For what it's worth, I would put Russia up toward the top of the discussion, even conceding Gogol to Ukraine. Also I wonder whether today's Russia would even want to acknowledge Gogol anyway.

why wouldn't they want to acknowledge a great. He was probably the biggest influence to their literary domination of the 1800s

>Ireland/Germany
Just end yourself, OP.

You disappoint me.

Because he was gay.

source? and dont say that flaming fuck Karlinsky

>france
>anywhere on the list

>spain so low on the list
>Joyce lifting the weight of his own country

>countries

>>Joyce lifting the weight of his own country
>Wilde talking over your head about classics

>joyce and wilde aren't british

>Russia
LOL

Russian literature is fucking garbage

>samefagging this hard

Ireland>>>>the rest

>He was Ukrainian by ethnicit
Who gives a shit senpai

>wilde, son of speranza, considered himself british
>joyce, the marx quoting nationalist, who lived past the declaration of indepence, the free state, and into the republic of ireland being formed, was british
man, england really gets upset when ireland and russia are the superpowers

shut up, ireland. we own you.

name 10 decent irish authors

come over here and we'll talk about it. we promise we will explain all the big words and we won't take all your bins away again this time, really.

Owning NI is literally fine by me Nige. Enjoy.

you keep talking shit and we'll send hordes of syrians into your country, potato nigger.

Swift, Beckett, Wilde, Sterne, Yeats, CS Lewis, Flann O'Brien or whatever he calls himself, Synge, Stoker, Moore, Burke, Banville, Kavanagh, Behan, Heaney, Kinsella. I dunno how many that is but some are poets and philosophers and playwrights, and Joyce really isn't that great.

come over we're building one of europe's largest mosques

enjoy your cultural enrichment, britcuck

>Joyce really isn't that great.
lol

Compared to half of those, no he's not. Some of the better ones you have to learn a dead language for so I only included the ones which English readers might get. Joyce's second languages are tourist guide tier.

Ranking countries on something like this is cringeworthy.

Hi England, it's too late to take your language back.

>and Joyce really isn't that great.
>
>
>

I'll add a few Irish language ones since nobody else will
>Merriman
>Raftery
>Ó Cadhain
>Mac Grianna

O Cadhain's going to fast become a meme but it's been bugging me that it gets cited as the introduction to modernism when An Beal Bocht is like seven years earlier and fucking perfect.

Joyce really isn't that great. The bearlachas in Finnegans shows he learnt Irish second, compared to Myles' grasp on native Irish and linguistics. Joyce writes in Norweigan and it's phrasebook type shit; O'Brien writes in German like he lived there. Joyce is the hipster of style, and while he knows all the technique, he's none of the finesse of a Beckett, O'Brien, or Sterne.

Why do you keep saying Joyce is bad because he doesn't use other languages well?
This is just the worst defamation of an author I've ever read.

i think he means through the lens of him as an irish author.