Bookshelf Thread

Post 'em anons!

Built this makeshift bookshelf last night. I find it very motivating and inspiring.

>GRRM

>Only gardens of the moon
Try harder

>Only looking at my designated Reddit shelf

the rest of your shelf is filled with Veeky Forums memes you haven't read, shut the fuck up.

I know females more stable than that shelf looks.
Buy a real shelf m8

You haven't read the Odyssey nor the Aeneid, they're completely unbent and without a cracked spine. Not sure if you've even read the Iliad although it has a slightly bent spine so I'll give you the benefit of doubt.

looks like it'll start to sag within a month

reddit

K O O N T Z
O
O
N
T
Z

I've read the illiad and the odyssey. You can't see the wear on the books because the pic isn't high quality enough.
I've read quite a bit of it. More than half of the entire shelf.

Robert Penn Warren is being crushed by the collective weight of his plebby neighbors.

Midnight bump

read your books fuck head.

Why do you assume he doesn't?
Let me guess; his spines are nicer than yours?

I really like this

non-bookshelf books

right in the wallet

very nice though user

Is the bookshelf a metaphor for your life?

1/3

2/3

3/3

>bookshelf soley comprised of textbooks and coffee table books

>bookshelf comprised of things i like to read

wow fucking reading police

I'll spare you the comics and Harry Potter tier shelf, don't want to give anyone an aneurysm

>tfw these threads are intrinsically anglican because those with majority non-English shelves are too disparate to find an audience
pls no bully

Enjoy the bonus DVDs and stylish lens flare

How is Moberg and his Emigrant stories?
The movies were GOAT - some of my favourite Swedish films besides Bergmans.
Also how is Harry Martinson? His suicide after giving himself the Nobel Prize was pretty hardcore.

Also neat that you have Ronja Rövardotter. I watched it so many times when I was a child.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what they're like translated, but in Swedish they're great. After starting the first one, all I did was read and work until they were finished. The characters and places are alive and even now a year later they're still vivid in memory. I don't think there's another series I remember as much from as the Emigrant-series.

Harry Martinson, on the other hand, I've found a rough read. Friends of mine recommend him but I could barely finish Nässlorna blomma. I find his style bloated and jarring and he simply has too much stuff thrown in, events that I couldn't see matter at all. However, it's semi-autobiographical and its interesting in that sense. I'll read the other two in the series for that reason. I tried reading some poetry of his too, but that's plain bad.

Sometimes I think it's because of his background, but I've read Albert Viksten as well and he's brilliant.

he's posted his shit before and has admitted to reading less than 1/4 of his books.

you tell by looking at the spines he doesn't read them.

I'm the user in question. I've actually caught up, and have read a little over half now. There was a period where I didn't feel like reading, but now I'm averaging one a week (though, I've been taking my time, and rereading Ulysses for the past two)

Bump

(1/2)

so much pleb

Are you an Aussie? Or did you make an anti Gravity Generator for your books?

>Shoujo Manga
>Swedish Noir novels
>Books stacked in the back

Are you sharing your bookshelf with your family?

Just shitloads of glue desu

Are you a germanfag? If so, why did you fill the three bottom shelves of the shelves with expensive, mostly English trash when you have access to all kinds of cheap, German, literary publishers?

>two layers
triggered as fuck

If you and I were friends, we would never discuss books.

How are Bukowski's novels? I've only read his poetry.

the only one in this thread organized by author's last name

thank you

can you give me the ISBN numbers of your books?

You took a semester of Sociology and english literature?

>it's the cracked spine kid

oh fuck off you clumsy club-handed imbecile

>delillo
>franzen
>russians
>gaddis
>sinclair lewis
>salinger

all these books are so based except the fantasy stuff... why have you betrayed me, anonymous user?

tell me about that sherlock holmes box on the middle shelf
is is a box set of the books or something? what publisher?

i get the impression you are a follower rather than a leader

Sometimes I'm not really hungry, but I still like to chew bubblegum.

Flimsy ass shit. Looks like it's about to collapse in on itself.

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

Not everyone behaves like a toddler and causes ruin on everything they touch.

>translations

>not reading translations

>not knowing every language

>knowing anything

interesting, elaborate

>Are you a germanfag?
yes

>mostly English trash
mix of things I needed for university and things I read ages ago as a teenager. I'm bad at getting rid of old books. The last time I gave away some was during my last move and only because my old city had public bookshelves where I could just off-load them.
>expensive
well I dont know about that. Most of that stuff was sub 20€ which I dont think is too much to ask for a book.

>access to all kinds of cheap, German, literary publishers
sort of fell out of love with German lit in those teen years, that was also when I decided to study English lit. I'm aiming to get back into it but there was other English stuff on my to-read list before that. I was thinking of reading something light first before reading the classics. I really dread reading Thomas Mann for some reason.

yeah, it's a box set of the stories in pocket book size. They look nice enough but if you actually do carry them around to read somewhere, they get a lot uglier fast. Also, one of the books had multiple misprinted pages, most that was missing was maybe half a sentence. Just fyi.
Publisher is Collectors Library / CRW Publishing

Nothing here unless you're into climbing, biology or motorsport :-/
Most of my novels wind up in storage or get dumped.

But I at least get to read them with a view ;-)

Seems to me like you ought to be reading more German considering your apparent interest in Shakespeare, for example, as the Germans were the ones to revitalise the study of Shakespeare in the late 17th/early 18th Century (cf. Herder and Goethe), and brilliant articles continue to be published in German periodicals, such as Haverkamp's classic 'Hamlet Anamorphose' on Hamlet and Goethe's Wilhelm Meister (in Arcadia, 2000).
It's also worth noting that the study of English is more of a German invention than anything else as the English themselves didn't really find most 'Anglistik' interesting until later.
And what's more, German literary essays, in my experience, are usually just better written than English ones and don't exhibit the same tedious insistence on writing 'academically' and holding your hand through the whole ordeal ('In this essay I will...'; 'Now I will prove...'; 'Having shown that...').
Finally, if you dread Thomas Mann, just read one of the other ones, like H. Mann's Professor Unrat or K. Mann's Der Wendepunkt (published first in English, but a German work in its own right (according to the writer himself)).

>Germans were the ones to revitalise the study of Shakespeare
yeah, heard about that and it's still crazy to me.

>are usually just better written than English ones
eh, don't know about that. For students, that kind of style can help them formulate a proper argument I think. Maybe a typical German essay would be more entertaining to read but I doubt I'll be reading a lot of essays at all from now on, or at least in the near future. What does annoy me about English essays and writing them in English is the insistence on short sentences and paragraphs, at least that's what I always struggled with. It irks me when I feel I have to chop up my argument because the sentence might seem long-winded.

Anyway, I'll start a list of authors and novels I want to read. Something a bit more cheeky like Professor Unrat sounds more up my alley than Tod in Venedig.

How many versions of the divine comedy do you need?

Felix Krull would also be a better Thomas Mann to begin with because Felix is a cheeky cunt and not some anaemic, decadent intellectual.
As for English academic writing helping students structure an argument, it's the exact opposite because the phrasings like the ones I quoted are a complete waste of space and only serve to make the paper more natural sciences-like, and this is also an English disease just like the completely asinine thought of fitting articles written inside the humanities with an abstract.

Nice view user, BC?

>Fishes of australia's southern coast
>chapter 1. poisonous fish
>chapter 2. more poisonous fish
>chapter 3. fish that would have your leg off as soon as look at you

We just had two fatal sharks here too, this week. How appropriate.

Western Australia. That's the Indian Ocean.

cottesloe?

Yeeeeup

It takes a man to admit when someone else has better taste than you. I'm proud.

You have a bunch of banal shit everyone has read and nothing with any personal value. I'm not that user though, so this is just a guess.

are you a qt

Oh well, I'm just getting into lit. It's all shit I'm actually interested in though, not buying things purely for the meme.

I'm a 29 year old male...

and so? ;)

I'm straight :-p

a-ok brotha

>don't own a bookshelf
>would rather spend my limited disposable income on more books, half of which I will probably never read
who /stacks/ here?

I thought it was BC as well when I saw that picture.

why does BC look like Perth

>2k16
>still using physical books instead of ebooks

Damn you guys are hopeless

1/2

2/2

Extra

>flipping through pages on an ebook
I guess if you don't own poetry collections, a bible or similar it's not as much of an issue.

>search functions exist
>go-to-page functions exist
>page sliders exist

-10/10 shitpost, try harder next time

Sometimes you're not sure exactly what you're looking for before you've found it. I hate not being able to flip through books.
Maybe you just don't know what you're missing out on, maybe you're just a pleb fag who sees no reason to flip through his John Green ebooks (which I can fully understand), who knows.
To each their own, but I'm not giving up on physical books. I often buy the ebook as well, because it's more comfortable on the go, but I like having a proper book I can pick up from time to time and flip through.

did you smear grease over your camera lens before taking that picture?

however, i commend you on storing your javascript book next to your matisse book.

You're calling me a John Green reader after shitting out platitudinous nonsense like:

>Sometimes you're not sure exactly what you're looking for before you've found it.

Are you on fucking crack? Also, do you still not understand what a slider is? It would allow to you do your little autistic ritual of flipping through the book to find some magic words just as well as flipping through an actual book would.

>inb4 'I like how it feels'

If you're rich enough to spend $20 every time you want to feel a new book, go ahead, but otherwise quit being a complete faggot.