“It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth...

>“It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.”

Is this actually a metaphor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=642lKXC97c4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nah

that's not what a metaphor is

a foolish young character telling another character something doesn't have to be correct

It's symbolism

When it convinces impressionable teenaged you would hope it's correct

I always thought that was a fatuous and showoff thing to do.

Hey Augustine either light up or throw it the fuck away you retarded pseud. I'm embarrassed anyone found this deep.

so you want them all to be mary-sues?

No the text in OP's post is just a bad description, it names the objects eventual result and calls it a thing. I sat on the sitting thing (chair) is not a metaphor.

Yeah I don't know what you're actually talking about

It's John Green

muh impressionable tennag

>It's a symbolism

ah the old "its bad on purpose!" meme, love that one

That's just teasing the cigarette.

>Is this actually a metaphor?

no, it's tryhard newfaggotry

john green should have fucking lurked more

He is explaining why it is a metaphor.

Calling it a "killing thing" is a metaphor because when its merely rolled up tobacco its not a "killing thing"

better than a everyone is a genius at the authors level of intelligence meme .

do you really think john green doenst know what a metaphor is? my 12 year old brother knows

No, it's personification and paradox.

>cigarettes turned into a serial killer by the media

>alcohol still sexy and sleek

Civilization has some funny memes.

it's a chemical addiction thing.
Anyone who smokes a pack of cigarettes in a week is going to start craving them.
Alcohol is more of a psychological addictor than a chemical addictor.
Fast food is more chemically addicting than beer

what does alcohol have to do with anything? why bring it up?

stupid fucking tripfag tobacco is a killing thing since it is actually poison. take one of your unread books from your shelf and go fuck yourself with it

This thread is a grenade. Ill go smash some trophies.

>They still think tobacco is bad for you

Heh...

FUCK
OFF
MONTIE

>Fast food is more chemically addicting than beer
Really? Is there any source on that?

On a meta-level, yes, it's a metaphor that John Green is a shitty writer.

>psychological and chemical addiction are different

What's the difference?

That whole thing pissed me off. Most of what they say and do is idiotic and insufferable, but actually we have to care because the fictional idiots have fictional terminal cancer.

The one saving grace was where she's mean to that author because she's in denial about her loved ones being okay after she dies.

>Alcohol is more of a psychological addictor than a chemical addictor.
No, they're both pretty similar on the addiction/self medication front. Alcohol you're more likely to die from a withdrawal or relapse tho. Cigarettes polute the air.

Psychological is p much self medication - you do it to cope with stress or depression or w/e

Chemical is where you get withdrawal symptoms.

It's a terrible metaphor, but still a metaphor.

Yeah, kids... don't give the cancer the power to do its killing! It's all about how you look at it!

I sat in a lecture by a toxocoligist just yesterday. Addiction to tobacco is primary psychological. The physical addiction is minimal.

no, a metaphor is distinct from a simile in that it is a comparison between two things but doesn't use like or as.

For example: she is the sun is a metaphor. Obviously she is not the sun, but we are drawing a connection between a quality she has and the sun
she is like the sun is a simile
it is a killing thing is a literally true

Not sure why you guys think different
I learned this in like 9th grade

a-after the f-first month of withdrawal surely?

durr

It must be. Smokers want to smoke again for for years after quitting.

It can be appropriate to call all metaphorical language metaphors including simile.

youtube.com/watch?v=642lKXC97c4

>1.3 million views

>but you don't give it the power to do its killing
Handing over dollars for a cigarette company's product *is* giving it the power to do its killing.

The act of keeping the cigarette in his mouth is not itself a literal metaphor, since metaphors are linguistically defined. However, it can be understood as the same principle, since the act of holding the cigarette between one's teeth is representative of restraining what he calls "the killing thing." It's like a physical metaphor sort of I guess. Anyways, I thought this and most of Augustus's dialogue was cringy af.

>metaphors are linguistically defined
They aren't solely to do with language which I think is what you're trying to get at. You can talk about visual metaphors in art or w/e.

Sure, looks like a metaphor to me. Not sure what it's a metaphor for (how he views cancer, I guess, from context), but it seems to work alright. Why does everyone seem to think it isn't?

It's a metaphor because you're smoking (hot)

He's probably talking about that "sit on one chair, eat what's in the other one" joke

I fell out of love with a girl because she liked this line so much.

seriously, montie is here too? why won't he just leave what the FUCK

Fuck off Montie.

i like the movie... hehe

haha

young /mu/ crossposters pls go. no one cares about your tripfag drama on Veeky Forums about some young /mu/ trip who barely reads.

>it is a killing thing is a literally true
You're assuming the cigarette is a metaphor for itself. Why could it not be a metaphor for something else?

What about this sentence by john green is it that really sets you guys off? I'm not supporting it, it sounds fucking stupid, theres just so much wrong with it and i feel like im missing why its so shit. Is it a copypasta because you hate John green or just because its shit?

>"He's literally me!" - John Green

Hating on John Green is a meme around these parts.