1984 Thread

Discuss:

/thread

bretty gud

reddit general?

i read it when i was 12 or 13 and i popped a boner reading the sex scenes. I read it in school so it was super hot.

Just read it this year and popped boners at the mcdonalds I work at. It was also super hot because my manager looks like Julia except she's 78

I thought it was a good book. I also read it for the first time after reading Brave New World and the deeper themes of the two correlate with the whole free will of society. Go ahead pleblords and call me shit or whatever and get it over because we all know your gonna do it

Good book even liked the idea of newspeak changing the language to direct thoughts a certain way. Good-ungood. The idea makes sense. Did you like it?

It is a travesty that they have highschoolers read this instead of Orwell's nonfiction.

Great book, and it's a real mind trip if you read this with Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World (even We).

The most hilarious and ironic part is that we actually live in a dystopia right now but we're all pretty blind to it (lmao i bet i sound like a nut saying this)

Giant corporations abuse third world countries and have infiltrated our government (this should be fairly obvious onto why there are so many tax breaks and horrible laws pertaining to the average joe)

and on top of that

they control the media. 6 companies own over 90% of TV channels and as a result you won't hear the truth most of the time since they profit directly from wars and bad politics.

Hahah i've said too much, theyre prob tracking me now...

hopefully your skeptical and will look this up for yourself...i'm a lowkey faggot for writing all this out lmaooo

user pls

this board is basically a subreddit now

Don't care if it's "reddit" or "pleb" to do so, I love this book.

Alright book
Probably gonna donate my copy to the library, don't see reason to keep it

Its definitely a book that everyone should have read, if not just because of how relevant it is nowadays.

Hus prose isnt really anything special, but it gets the point across and is quite engaging, so I cant really complain. Making political commentary accesable is always a good thing imo.

The ending was pretty bleak though, and having just read Down and Out I feel like Orwell sort of portrays everything as pretty inevitable - without ever really outright sayoig so. Then again, I havent read much else of hia.

The book's extremely relevant nowadays. Especially seeing all these fucked stuff going on lately. Prepare your anuses comrades.

I really hate people who make references to this book and then try to seem smart because of it.

Even though it is high school required reading

>Well, in Orwell's 1984...

wHy

why
wyh
whyw
hyw
hyw
hy
whywhyhw
yhwyhw
yhwwhy
wyhw
wyh
wyh
wyh
wyh
why
why
hwy
hwy
why

is the WORST cover of 1984

ALWAYS the one that gets posted

Can't wait to fight for Eurasia in the great european race war

race war? are you high?

You should read Island by Huxley. It's much better than BNW

eerily captures the virus like nature of facist/oppresive ideology, would love to have seen orwell deal with the implications of what mass media has become, as well as the legacy of all the post-structural stuff; idk was he alive for the panopticon?

I also think we live in a dystopian like setting if you're talking about America. Keep talking about it, spread ideologies counter to dominant narratives!!!

fuck, i'm dumb this is a reply idgaf!!! so not scrolling back up

>eerily captures the virus like nature of facist/oppresive ideology

It's funny that left-wing ideologies became the most oppressive/fascist of all in modern times.

well it's all meant to keep us contained, war is peace is like the hillary clinton vote. We're blowing apart fifteen year old kids with predator drones for no real reasons other than ideological ones, and at home we're arguing left vs right on things like trans bathrooms

Yeah, I mean, letting mentally ill freaks share a bathroom with our kids/etc is a totally minor issue.

e.g. ^

I really hope you're joking.

>If you care about A, you don't care about B

It's not a bad book by any means, I actually kind of like it, but it's over-hyped beyond proportions. Also, too many edgelords only care about the dystopian aspect of it while there's a lot of more interesting aspects in this book.
I read it when I was 19, my dick was diamonds

Is this the most hamfisted book of all time?

more pointing out the immediate and intense engagement with B rather than A, which is what I was saying was happening throughout the country. Also while we are doing fallacy exercises, saying fallacy logic equations as arguments is a strawman

>Wow, so spooky and Orwellian.

>this is so Orwellian...

George Orwell was a Trotskyist.

...but I preferred Huxley.

sorry

You're a giant fag no one cares

nice love that, war is peace....so true for America hahaha

Favorite part about the book was the whole double speech nonsense, shit was genius. The plot was pretty basic, the love aspect was good can't lie, twist with the Thought Police wasn't to amazing but it worked fine.

Just wondering, but if it was required for your class in HS (wasn't for mine), were you taught about how it relates to modern times like or was it just another book that you read and write essays on like zombies

>The ending was pretty bleak though, and having just read Down and Out I feel like Orwell sort of portrays everything as pretty inevitable
Reading that one right now. I read Animal Farm not too long ago. It ends on a fairly sour note.

Is there a specific edition I should look for of this book?

people who meme this book are probably not british

reading it as a brit is very scary as the Britain Orwell presents is very similar to the one we are currently living in

here have a better one