Why is modern art hated, Veeky Forums?

Why is modern art hated, Veeky Forums?

> mfw that grammar

Because most of it is the epitome of pretensiousness. Post modern art is garbage because it comes from special snow flakes who can't believe they arent individuals. I'll be the first to admit still visual art in general does not move me as much as other forms of art, but I have seen a painting or two that has moved me, none of them post modern trash.

thanks for you opinion, senpai

Some of it is quite loved, Francis Bacon for instance practically has universal currency

people are stupid

honestly would rather live in a world that looks like the top one t b h

Because art has been reduced to be a factory of ideas instead of a guild of ideas + talent.
And not really that status quo shattering ideas either... I went to an exhibition that was all about evoking solidarity for muh refugees.
Now anyone with a liberal idea can produce art. Doesn't require any skill.

because of what you just posted. One clearly took more effort than the other and is therefore worthy of consideration.

how's being a liberal treating you

Because it's conceptual art which means you don't need to experience the work of art for yourself. You can hear about it and understand it in a way you can't hear about a Michelangelo without experiencing it.

So modern artists just think of an idea, usually social commentary that ends up being ironic because the artist doesn't actually want to risk anything, and they make the work. The critics immediately get the gimmick and see its potential for easy writing. They write about it and hype it. Everybody gets rich.

fuck jeff koons

Leftists

Because STEM god tier.

I am too a man whom is intelligent and nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor

late capitalism happened

People are getting bored with realism. They want to do something more,

proper liberal or american liberal?

also what does that have to do with my taste in art?

That's exactly it, people are 'bored'.
That's why you had this enormous proliferation of isms in the 19th and early 20th century.
More like fads than schools they were.

liberalism means 'everything is subjective, a feminist who shits and periods on a canvas is as good as Michaelangelo becaues of muh feels of EQUALITY and women are great xD'

It's pure Marxism

It never required skill.

It's just the easiest target for the anti-intellectual crowd to go after because the merit in it is harder to see than the merit in mocking it. Basically people are stupid fucks and would rather make fun of art than try and understand it, even though seeing the perspective of other people is basically the point of art.

I'll give you three reasons why I hate it.

1. They are not philosophers but they attempt to materialize philosophy in their works. Say you come across a pure black painting in a museum.

Before you know anything about it, you start to wonder what is going on. Before you get to any idea, any conversation with yourself, the artist will be patting themselves on the back because they "made you think". You may later come to some idea of what it means but it already doesnt matter.

It is symbolism so vague and loaded it can mean anything. There is no courage to create something specific that the audience can realistically find.

2. Most works are treated at stock. It will go up in price because it will be older in a few years, and thus more valuable as art. Because of reason 1 it is difficult to devalue the work because it is so vague.

3. It is generally not aesthetically pleasing in the most basic sense to me.

Because it's worthless, end of story.

Fuck you. People are bored of the avant garde which has been the same since the 70's.

/thread

>le capitalism happened
FTFY

Because it's dishonest. It has nothing deep going for it other than complete and total subjectivity. Subjectivity is fucking boring and shallow.

People don't know how to derive the layers of meaning within art that isn't abstract subjective trash. Old art was art that was created with a stern purpose of expressing an idea to an audience. And not only a singular idea, but layers of meaning hidden within the skin of the art. Meaning that may never be unlocked by those who experienced the art many years later. It wasn't created hoping the audience makes up their own minds. It was created with true meaning and purpose.

The difference is that a pure work of art will forever express something solid to an audience thousands and thousands of years later, that same meaning will be held to those throughout the ages. This "modern art" doesn't even convey a decent point to an audience 10 years after it's creation.

What does that mean?

Because people can't comprehend it.

french capitalism

Because it's far less deep than the artist imagines it to be.

Because it's all nu males and third wave feminists now. The majority of working class people can't get into that shit.

Like honestly, try dating an "artist" nowadays and she not being a fucking islam apologist and going "omg Drumpf xD"

LIBERALS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

will they ever recover?

#TRUMP - 1
#BERNOUTS - 0

As Iong as it doesn't lead to a holocaust, burning witches, etc, I'm cool with this.

Also this meme is pure false dichotomy, but you won't let that stop your circlejerk, so have at it.

So sarcastic, funny.
But even more funny will be how Bernie Gutman won't get the nomination.

Trump will make America great again!

Can't wait to see the looks on the spics' faces when the wall is built.

It's hated by the sort of reactionary turds who frequent Veeky Forums and /pol/

In the real world, there is bad "modern art" (however you define it) and good "modern art".

All art was "modern" at some stage, and some of it was hated. For example impressionism was despised by the art establishment of the day. The good bits of it have survived, the shitty bits have not.

Tate Modern (London): 4.7 million visitors per year
MoMA (New York): 3 million visitors per year

damn, i only needed a "sjw" for a line on my /pol/ bingo card

>All art was "modern" at some stage, and some of it was hated. For example impressionism was despised by the art establishment of the day. The good bits of it have survived, the shitty bits have not.

Did you feel nervous when typing this out, because this argument is sketchy as fuck.

Most artists I meet tend to be mediocre minds that use to many commonplaces and silly doxa when explaining their outlook.

The last decent piece of art was made in the 1950s which was paradise on earth, a literal Utopia.

Back then, gender roles were perfect, and the white man was in his rightful place.

Since then the world has fallen to Marxism, and soon we'll have world-wide communism.

We need to wake up and recapture the glory of the 50s. Take the redpill and spread it

The 50s was such a shitty time period. I bet you are some fat neckbeard anyways. You would get laughed at in the 50s, probably sent to some military camp for rehabilitation.

Obvious troll is obvious.

If not trolling see

how does you know???

And yet now we coddle such neckbeards and tell them that their autistic opinions are valid and that they are not worthless pieces of shit... Thus said neckbeard is correct, the 1950s were a better time.

Because there's no skill in it anymore. Literally anything can be art if you come up with some bullshit symbolism behind it.

Some cunt can smear her period blood on a canvas and claim it's about women's struggles and people will eat it up. Some douche can piss in a jar with a crucifix in it and claim its a criticism of religion, and people will eat it up because of the supposed "meaning" behind it, which is purely constructed by the artist as a form of self masturbatory satisfaction instead of actually looking to move people emotionally.

When anything can be art, then nothing is.

>pic related is evil according to modern day nu-male feminists

Because it's a meme shared by a minority of people that everybody hates

Notice how you got no replies from the assblasted lefties

Why? It's clearly a polyamorist relationship.

Serrano's Piss Christ is pretty good though.

>there's no skill in it

Word for word the answer that came to my head when I read OP's question.

Not at all. For example, pic related was rejected when it was first submitted to the Paris Salon, because the nude included was not allegorical. The Salon rejected a number of impressionist works now considered classics.

Is it really difficult to grasp that it is mainly good (and/or popular, well-funded, hyped etc) artists whose work has survived? In the past bad artists (or those who fell from favour) were forgotten. There are exceptions, of course.

Of course now in the age of mass media and popular culture, anyone can produce any old shit and someone somewhere will like it. That explains why so many people still own Thomas Kinkade works, for example.

the captcha system appears to be totally fucked today

If there's no skill in it, why aren't you a famous modern artist?

It's not. It's two white couples, with a child each. And as you can see, there is an absolute innocence and no degeneracy or filth or sin between the two children yet. It was a period of innocence and love of fellow whites.
Later, they will develop feelings for each other, get married, and have intercourse and thus ensuring the next generation of white children.

THAT'S WHAT AMERICA WAS ABOUT.

Now it's degenerated into a veritable Hell on Earth

And I forgot to mention, any legitimate criticism of it can be handwaved as someone simply "not getting it", which creates this nebulous later of artificial depth that the artists think they're representing, thus preventing their work from facing any true criticism unless the critic wants to admit to their own stupidity.

Less than 1% of americans visit the MoMa each year.

Shameful.

I wonder how many of those visitors are foreign.

ALL

KITSCH

MUST

DIE

It's one woman with her cuckolded husband and her male and female lovers. The children are hers and her lovers, not the husbands.

>being this much of a positivist

In fairness, although I would actually like to visit it sometime, I'm sure it's an absolute pain in the ass to get to, and then you have to cough up whatever it is now... 20, 40bux? for the privilege of Pollock. Most people are uninterested, and if you're even-handed about it, you can hardly blame them.

Get a load of this relativist.

>fedoras

Yeah, pic related took absolutely no skill to make. It's like you people don't actually have any understanding of modern art and are just attacking this vague notion you have of it instead

People don't get modern/post modern art. Art is not supposed to always look like naked women in the sky or war depictions.

I'm positive about my white, European heritage. Only liberal see something negative about it.

You calling me a positivist is a compliment. I'm redpilled.

This sums it up beautifully.

You have some gross faggot fantasy that the 50s was exactly like Stand by Me or exactly like a Norman Rockwell painting. You sound exactly like one of those fags like Stephen King who obsesses about their childhood in the 50s except you are a 20 year old neckbeard. You are sick in the head dude. Fuck off back to /pol/ you small minded shitstain.

>third wave feminists now
They're 4th wave and even worse they're revisionist swine.

This thread is embarrasing to even look at.

why is anyone buying this terrible argument? are you just samefagging?

For comparison the Metropolitan gets about 6 million.

I lold

>art have to be representational
>art have to be beautiful
>art needs purpose
>art have to be realistics
GET OUT UNCULTURED SWINE

>"this was such an evil time!"

Everything you listed is a product of an advanced culture, and yet you are calling us uncultured. You wouldn't know culture if it smacked you across the face.

Well yeah it was. Just look at that pedophile in the bow tie. He's bribing those kids not to tell anyone he had sex with them by giving them a cake and his wife is enabling this sick behavior.

He was being ironically facetious. I don't think you get it user.

>art can be whatever I want
>art should be whatever I want
>Me me me me me

>"this is SOOO problematic, look at all these happy white people!!"

Because I don't want to be one.

exactly
dont you know danto and dickes
my main men

If you think this an accurate representation of what the 50s was actually like you are a fucking fool.

I saw that painting at the Botticelli exhibition at the V&A recently.

Remember that Botticelli was commercially successful in his lifetime but was largely forgotten for 300 years until he was rediscovered and repopularised by the Pre-Raphaeliltes

Not a part of the cult it seems.

Happy? That family is $30,000 in debt to the bank. There's no way they can ever pay that back.

dickies, sorry

In contrast with today's era of mass divorce rates, the resulting broken families and attention craving narcissist dickholes as a result, social alienation, dark triad evil shitheads dominating every aspect of social life and unemployment all around.
Not to mention the European ghetto's filled with salafists that are just ticking jihadi time bombs and the declining portion of whites in all white countries. What is happening now is a postponing of a bloody civil war of which Syria is just a foretaste.

Calling someone /pol/ and then going on a rant about how great life is today makes you a conservative by all standards.

There is no time that is inherently evil, and there is also no time that is inherently good. There was a lot of fucked up shit happening politically in the 50's in America. I am not saying the traditional white 50's conservative family is evil, but of course it's not some mythological perfect family either. /pol/ is just full of neckbeards who grasp to periods of history they never experienced as a way of expressing their lofty alt-right ideals in progressively deteriorating American culture. There are better things to latch on to than the 50s if you are in opposition of extreme leftism. You just make yourself look like an idiot if you paint the 50s as the perfect ideal period.

But you are trolling anyways so theres no point.

Even blacks were living prosperously and happily.

This is what liberals want us to believe was an unjust time to ensure that Marxism will win

>Things weren't better in the past, not even in certain ways; now pass me that cocaine! We're going on a wild ride kids, buckle up! The future awaits, utopia no less! And things can only get better! Change is always good, remember; nothing was better in the past, so throw away those rose-tinted glasses! After all, we don't need eyes where we're going!

>"look how unhappy they are! They're clearly fake smiles"

dude if you think the 50s were so much better switch off your computer and go and die in a minor car accident that would be easily survivable today

Except that clearly took skill to make and has aesthetic merit. If I lack understanding of modern art perhaps you could explain it to me? What makes art modern?

I samefagged once to add to it. And more people are disagreeing with me than agreeing. I'm fully open to arguments but if you're just gonna name call you can fuck right off.

This reads like my stereotypical idea of Hunter S. Thompson shit. Fear and Loathing, I like it.

Liberals do this with everything in the past.

It used to be that the right was the "muh present day is deh best" faction and then started naming all the bad shit that went on in previous centuries, but nowadays they have become the ones who will go "LOL NOTHING IN THE MIDDLE AGES WUZ GOOD U DUMB EVOLAFAG ENJOY THE BLACK PLAGUE".
All admitting that they want you to glorify the current era as much as they do.

>going to new york

>"look how unhappy they are! They are even Christian, ughh! The woman doesn't even work, she just has to stay in the kitchen all day, and take care of her husband and kids, and that's terribly oppressive!"

>This is what liberals want us to believe was an unjust time to ensure that Marxism will win
How is It's A Wonderful Life even possible unless you mean it's time travel propaganda.

I think the 50s was a great decade but it wasn't a conservative decade by a long way. The 60s was much more conservative in a lot of ways.

That's a fucking painting