You have 5 seconds to explain why you haven't read it yet

You have 5 seconds to explain why you haven't read it yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/what-happens-when-you-drink-an-entire-bottle-of-weed-lube
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_(novel)#Summary
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because i'm not a pleb

But you are a pleb, because you haven't read it.

How long is that shit?

248 pages. Don't call it shit.

>claims to not be a pleb
>hasn't read Tai Pei

Because the author keeps nagging about it on a Cambodian basket-weaving website leading me to believe that he's a pleb.

I don't read books by plebs.

Do normies really do as many drugs as paul does?

Tao Lin isn't a pleb, you're a pleb.

Haven't read it, and never will. It's fucking dogshit only hipster chinks like himself can appreciate

It is not dog shit.

as a hipster I'd like to just let you all know that we don't like him or his little whore mira gonzaga.

You're right, it's dogshit.

Because after slogging through Shoplifting From American Apparel and Eeee Eeee Eeee, (both of which I didn't pay for, mercifully enough) I was done with Tao Lin.

It's better than you.

It's better at being a dogshit book than I am, sure.

Mira's occasionally so retarded she's funny in a laughing at you, not with you sort of way. Like that one vice article she wrote about drinking lube because it had thc in it.

I highly doubt she ever did that.

You'll never be as successful as Tao Lin, you are jealous of him.

honestly I'd rather never get published than get published and be hated.

She made a bong out of Infinite Jest and posts pictures of her feet on Instagram. I wouldn't doubt that she drank a bottle of lube.

I'd gladly wager that Tao Lin is only trivially richer than I am, if at all. Nobody outside this shitty board and hipster chink circles give a damn about it.

He also has the handicap of having written a shitty book so that places me comfortably higher than him.

I have

the kafka of his generation

no paul had a serious drug problem.

>slogging through Shoplifting From American Apparel
that book is like 80 pages, i don't think that counts as "slogging"

ultra pleb

>I'd gladly wager that Tao Lin is only trivially richer than I am, if at all. Nobody outside this shitty board and hipster chink circles give a damn about it.

Tapei was reviewed by, The New York Times among others. That's bigger than you will get.

Why do people constantly spout this?

Jealousy has absolutely nothing to do with whether a book is shit or not.
Is nobody on this board allowed to criticize a single book because we're all just jealous of the author for having sold more copies than us?

>Jealousy has absolutely nothing to do with whether a book is shit or not.

You are biased against Tao Lin because he's a successful author and businessman who posted on Veeky Forums.

is this one of the new meme books this board is gonna spam like yall do with infinite jest

I don't think she's clever enough to make this kind of shit up, user. Have you seen her writing? She's not very creative.

broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/what-happens-when-you-drink-an-entire-bottle-of-weed-lube

Yes

because I value aesthetic worth and complexity over obsession with escape from/reveling in post-modernism.

>because I value aesthetic worth and complexity

That's funny because only simple people don't like Tao Lin.

Tao.
YOU
ARE
NOT
RELEVANT

Don't say things you don't mean.

Length is irrelevant when something is terrible. Even one page of terrible shit is a chore to get through.

>being THIS new

Fucking stop mocking Tao Lin you son of a bitch

i flipped through it. it was ok

what a whiny cunt you sound like

Look who's talking

i actually had a very constructive and enjoyable argument with someone about this book on here the other day

Posters: 14
Replies: 40

if Tao worked this hard offline he'd have finished Taipei 2 Return of the Hipsters and TaiPei 3 Merry Christmas, Taipei

>That's bigger than you will get.
>will get

Who says I've ever aspired to be a shitty writer?

Also

>New York Times
>credible

lmao

>he'd have finished Taipei 2 Return of the Hipsters and TaiPei 3 Merry Christmas, Taipei
i really like Tao Lin but top fucking kek

The New York Times doesn't have to be credible for it to be the point where you've crossed the boundary into success.

You're still dogshit, Tao.

Are you literally him? I know "go to bed tao" is a meme in its own right, but I've never seen anyone this passionate about his books before. You either have to be Tao Lin himself or his mom or something.

I'm not Tao.

I'm his Mom.

I like to wonder whether or not Tao actually comes on here any more. Because it's hard to imagine that every time Taipei comes it must be Tao, but then again I can also see Tao coming on here to let people berate him because he hates himself sometimes.

I don't think Tao is in this thread, or if he is he isn't the poster you think he is.

He probably does occasionally, because no one ever leaves this shithole for good until they're dead.

Because I don't own the book.

I read it. It had been posted about here hundreds of times and I finally decided to check it out from the library. It's shit. It's so fucking shit. The only reason I made myself finish was so I could justify saying all of it is shit, though the first 50 pages are the same as the second, and third, and fourth, and fifth so it doesn't matter what part of it you read. It's empty of absolutely anything substantial and if you need 280 pages of choppy scenes and disorganized dialogue to understand the ennui and listlessness that much of the developed world experiences then maybe this book is for you, because you're a child and haven't lived through, experienced, or thought about anything substantial in your life.

It's on libgen I think. Though whether it's worth reading or not is another story entirely.

>It's shit. It's so fucking shit.

No it's not.

I like you

>I read it. It had been posted about here hundreds of times and I finally decided to check it out from the library. It's shit. It's so fucking shit. The only reason I made myself finish was so I could justify saying all of it is shit, though the first 50 pages are the same as the second, and third, and fourth, and fifth so it doesn't matter what part of it you read. It's empty of absolutely anything substantial and if you need 280 pages of choppy scenes and disorganized dialogue to understand the ennui and listlessness that much of the developed world experiences then maybe this book is for you, because you're a child and haven't lived through, experienced, or thought about anything substantial in your life.
Yo are wrong

>I read it. It had been posted about here hundreds of times and I finally decided to check it out from the library
Does this really work? I've seen other contemporary books spammed here and they don't seem to have picked up this much meme steam.

I mean I guess, read Infinite Jest last year and found a .50c old paperback of Gravities Rainbow I'll crack into this summer just so I can have an opinion on them.

Read it again. You failed to understand the subtle nuances and deeper meaning Tao hid and used to connect and inscribed within the "choppy scenes."

I read it a couple weeks ago and really liked it. I cried at one point

Maybe I did, but at less than 50 books a year and ~60 years left I feel like there's a couple that take higher priority in my life than rereading something I honestly didn't enjoy a page of.

Hi tao

I don't know what libgen is. If it's a computer thing then I'm not interested. I read paper books mostly.

It's a website that you can download free ebooks from. Normally I prefer things in print too, yes, but if it's Tao Lin I kindof don't care enough to spring for a copy of his shit or even to hunt it down in a library.

I buy all my books used and they usually never get over 4-5 dollars for one book. Usually I spend 10-20 dollars at a time and pick up 3-6 books each time I purchase multiple books. So buying this book wouldn't really matter to me because I'll buy it cheap.

>I read paper books mostly
luddite

Used books are fun but I wouldn't buy anything that I think has a good chance of probably being shit, like this book. Why waste the shelf space?

My shelf is small right now. I'm going to donate some books once my personal library grows. I'm in the slow process now deciding what is going to be in my library till I die. I'll get an ereader some day so I can read books that might not deserve to be in my personal library first. But for now I got a lot of shelf space and I don't mind buying a variety of books that might not stay on my shelf.

Good question, imma go buy tomorrow.

Paul isn't a normie. Did you even read the book

he has friends/acquaintances, he's a normie

When you're a drug user none of your friends are actually friends. They are just tools to get you more junk.

explain why it's worth re-reading, user

Why do you attach so much weight to Veeky Forumss opinion of this novella, user?

Why does it mean so much to you?

is the girl in the book megan boyle?

yes

i like to watch her youtube channel. she is batshit. the book makes a whole lot more sense now.

Whatever happened to her anyway? We had a thread about this a month or two ago and everyone assumed she was either dead or in a looney bin somewhere because her online presence completely vanished and a book of hers that was due to come out never did.

I've never read anything by her and probably never will, but I'm genuinely curious.

> You failed to understand the subtle nuances and deeper meaning Tao hid and used to connect and inscribed within the "choppy scenes."

Read actual literature, you pretentious cuck

she recently started posting on her twitter again but not as much as she used to.

i was interested in liveblog, the book she was supposed to publish last year, but it never got released, i dunno why

Wasn't it just 350k words of her talking about what she did online each day? That doesn't sound like much of a book.

> successful author and businessman

lol

>new meme books
>new
This book was relevant in 2013
Tao was relevant in 2012

>2012
>more like may 2009 amirite

not saying it's worthwhile or that people should like it but for better or worse i'm interested in 'alt-lit.'

Go to bed Tao Lin you sperglord gook fuck

Oddly enough, I am reading this now. Not because of Veeky Forums but because a friend of mine whose tastes I respect suggested it to me. I was surprised to hear him suggest it to be honest.
About 30 pages in or so. I don't really like it very much. It reads like a much less creative and less talented Marukami, which just makes me wish I was reading him.

I'm vaguely interested in Sam Pink. Other than that, none of the other "alt lit" types sound compelling at all.

Sam Pink is tight

As much as I don't like the book, there is a point to the style of writing.

>Why does it mean so much to you?

Why does it mean so much, to you?

>almost 300 pages
>novella

Racist dumbass

I have never seen anyone discuss anything but the quality of this book and it is really good to me, I would like to see someone say things I didn't see/think about it when I read it or something :(

Someone sell me on the literary value of this, because the summary on wikipedia makes it sound like a mediocre movie at best
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_(novel)#Summary

I don't find a lot of meaning in things and taipei was one of the first books that made me feel like other people felt the same way. There are cynical books but they're usually too visceral if that makes sense, taipei didn't have a fall from grace type feeling; uh in conclusion the baseline of experience for reality was really flat in the book and that made me feel less alone. There is no literary value if you are looking for stuff like in the brothers karamazov, which made me sleepy and sad and more alone and confused , but I have higher self-esteem because reading it made me feel smart so I'm not dissing the book. The end.

I don't want to spend money on it and I couldn't find a pirated ebook, that's why.

It probably is on libgen if you want to read it that badly.