Think we'll all still be speaking English in 500 years?

Think we'll all still be speaking English in 500 years?

1000 years?

2000 years?

What about Latin? Or French? Chinese?

What's the future of the spoken and written word?

Who cares, honestly

Probably some fucked up version of English that replaces "er" with "a" and that sort of thing.

it a betta way tok!

There's no conceivable way to know, and even if there was: who cares?

I think blade runner called it with Cityspeak. To me, that's the most logical conclusion when it comes to language. Especially since mandarin and English are still the most used languages for business. The two being married at some point isn't the most ridiculous idea.

I care.

I think English will become the new Latin, with directionless faggots learning English in 3016 to try and impress their robot professors. People will put English quotes in their yearbooks and forum signatures.

Or this sorry affair could happen.

No one care about what you think. You're dull

They've been married for a while. Google Chinglish.

>counter-thread meming this hard

What do you think then? Do you think there's any possibility of English being completely eradicated?

At the current rate of the English languages evolution, we won't have any of the current words in 1000 years.

Don't hate, kid. Eitha ya accept that the Bostonian accent is the masta accent, or youah a fuckin' failya with no prospects or nuthin'. Now get the fuck outta heah befoa we take ya down to the bay and let ya swim with fishes. And the tea. Foahgot about the fuckin' tea.

Sadly, you're right.

I read an article about it. Purists will remain, but the majority of the cyber-meming twitter generation of English speaks will slowly become redundant.

Gaps will emerge in the English language in your lifetime user, wait and see.

I learnt a lot of English from a Bostonian Youtuber, and it's not helped my friendships with english speakers so far.

In 1000 years, we will only be communicating with emojis; or whatever the alternative might be.

They will ironically assume the role of Chinese characters in whatever language we speak; which will probably be Mandarin.

get a load of this prestoopnick

oh wow, I had seen pictures of the funny signs but I had no idea how much theory was actually behind it. Thanks user.

I don't care at all

That's a truly terrifying thought.

I recently had such a discussion with a co-worker and we got to the conclusion the future would probably be much darker than expected. First, a technology will surely emerge so it gives the possibility to translate in every language. This would be bugged, deficient, unable to bear the comparison with a real, assessed translator but whatever, this would lead to the majority to drop off foreign languages, and slowly slump into some technologically-embellished sloth. We already delegate a lot to computers. Soon, this inactivity would evolve in a felt inability to do so, as it it already happening with people thinking it's impossible to wake up on a regular basis without a clock, organizing his time without an application or moving without a car. I already imagine people thinking learning a second language in school is pointless or complaining it's impossible to be fluent in another one. On a long-term perspective, I'm afraid the culture could never recover.

Japanese and other ambigous languages are virtually impossible for machines to translate without having human levels of artificial intelligence.
Which will probably only be twenty years after easier translation bots are made

It will be a language made entirely of brand names

I can just imagine a foreigner trying to talk in a boston accent and getting mad. It's shitty enough on its own, but someone attempting to do it and failing? Shit man I hope you aren't a barber.

*memes
run towards the light on the horizon comrades for it is dawn of a meme golden age

It won't be long until a context-dependent software will be figured out, and once again, this doesn't need to be a proper translator so this scenario could be triggered.

Providing that the human race doesn't destroy itself and continues with a more or less exponential rate of technology growth, I assume that verbal communication and written language might be transcended. Two people will be able to communicate in a floodlight of conceptual understanding, creating a luminescent understanding and deep cognition of a subject. I kind of hope it doesn't though.
I enjoy deciphering words.

language conveys whatever is relevant and only that.

l don't think there is any more to it. you'd have to guess what the world is like to guess what kind of language we have

It's not good. I type fine but speaking is dreadful. I don't live in English speaking country so I get bye

I don't know, nobody does. We can't predict what's a couple of days in the future, let alone thousands of years. As far as we know we could all be dead by then.

bye

I wonder what he was getting.