Writers of Veeky Forums...

Writers of Veeky Forums. Did you already realize it's easier to write a bunch of novels for yourself than being published and read all around and that most of us will die without being acknowledged even by a small group of friends (if any)?

I had a huge let down last week and I don't think I'll spend anytime trying to get published anymore. Actually, I don't even know whether I should keep writing or not.

Let's face it. Nowadays the only way to be read is being known before publication. So, if you're like, a youtuber or some shit like that, you'll probably have more influence on people than spending years studying literature and writing trying to produce a decent piece of art.

Share your experiences, if you feel like it.
Good luck for everyone.

sorry you're bad at writing m8

If you're writing for "acknowledgement" then you're driven by the same desires as an infant and it's clear why you're no good

I'll give up anyway.

>I had a huge let down last week

What happened?

I came into the thread for this. What was the let down OP?
being two digits from trips?

You must be young. So, you are probably writing for no more than 10 years, probably no more than even 5 years, and you are already giving up? I am sorry, but with that attitude you don’t have the necessary willpower to become a great artist.

It takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, many disillusions and disappointments, and that with most names, even with most famous historical names. There are always exceptions, but it dosent matter, since you are probably not going to be one of them.

Sometimes I wonder if the real great artist are simply those that don’t give up and keep learning, keep facing their own mistakes and correcting them, keep having the courage to see that they are still far from acceptable and patiently wake up day after day knowing that they must learn yet another thing, correct yet another aspect of their craft.

Writing is not pleasurable, and it is not a guarantee way of being recognized. It is a very demanding activity, even a nightmare. It drains you, it chews your nerves, it consumes time and energy, and all of that while not offering certain fame or fortune. You need patience, humility, resilience, strong will: it is not only about talent, it has a lot to do with personality, with the way you see the world and lead your life.

Some people simply are not strong enough to travel the whole distance.

That said, it is normal to feel bad when you have initial disappointments. You eventually get used to it, for it is a normal aspect of an artistic life. Art is simply not a greatly demanded product, and it is a thing that most people can live without, so the market is very non-inclusive, the space is very disputed. But keep walking forward, be strong: you will need to learn how to deal with defeats.

Thanks for that. Whoever you are. Thank you.

this. I am curious

>having the "courage" to be cucked out of your self esteem by the publishing industry
I know you're trying to help him, but eat a dick fampai.

I'm not that guy but fuck off. He gave good advice and you respond with irrelevant memes.

>saved for when I find myself in need of a pep-talk

What good advice? Humility? Fuck humility. There was never a single great artist who was humble. Ever.

Confirmed for not knowing anything about art.

Either way the guys advice is solid, but at the same time I think its a mistake to believe the publishing industry is the final word on what makes things publishable. Moby Dick was considered gutter trash when it was first published, now there is not one person alive who dosent consider it a crowning achievement.

So first and foremost as an artist is to know your shit and keep it level headed, believe in your vision but at the same time dont get delusions of grandeur. You may not be discovered until after you're long dead, and that's terribly common.

Art is long, life is short and success is very far away. - Conrad

Read Dostoevskys letters before you think you should be above humility because of your super cool space world science fiction extravaganza.

First of all, you're completely full of shit. Second of all, his advice wasn't based on humility at all, it was based on making huge sacrifices for art and the fact that it requires devotion to truly become great. Go be edgy somewhere else.

user, I was where you are once, or where you seem to be.

I was once on the doorstep of signing with a literary agent. She had requested the first 15 pages of my novel, then the first 50 pages, then the whole thing. THEN she rejected me. It was one of the most painful things of my life. I worried I would never be published, that I would die with no one knowing who I was.

But you can't stop, if you really care about writing. That great failure forced me to ask myself how much I really loved writing, and I discovered that I loved it more than I knew. I realized that I couldn't go without writing. I couldn't stop, so I kept going.

Since then I've gotten three short stories published, and I'm hoping for more. I've gotten a little of the success I dreamed about. I wouldn't have achieved that if I'd given up. More than that, I've changed for the better as a writer. My failure has caused me to grow and develop.

If you really love to write you'll keep going, and you'll be glad you did.

>MFW everything I write and post online gets bashed to hell and back
>mfw my friends say it's really good
>mfw I send bullshit to my friend
No matter how bad I am and how fruitlessly I pursue my hopes I keep. Going. Back. I'm young and I think I have talent. The only person I share anything with besides on poetry threads that no one responds to, is to my girlfriend. She thinks I'm decent or something but that doesn't matter.

I have the constant gnawing feeling that reminds me I'm not good enough, and at the end of every day I hope "maybe."

I have even these desperate insecurity that begs to write in some way interesting enough to pique some fucks interest and have them ask for my poetry. I'm a starved fucking child and feel disparaged constantly. But I'm addicted. Thoroughly.

Just wanted to have feels with you OP.

I've felt that way many times, if you're addicted like me, you're crawl right back.

It always helps to remind myself that writers are storytellers. Publishers are looking for stories that readers will want to read. There are all kinds of stories, all kinds of publishers, and all kinds of readers. I think sometimes I get caught up in the size of the industry, and the intellectual prestige of its history, and forget that I'm just telling stories, and my goal should be to get it in the hands of people who will enjoy it.

Getting worked up about leaving a legacy and producing a worthy piece of art, that's poisonous to me. And I think it's the same for a lot of writers, even very successful ones.

>this many slave moralist faggots

>Writers of Veeky Forums. Did you already realize it's easier to write a bunch of novels for yourself than being published and read all around and that most of us will die without being acknowledged even by a small group of friends (if any)?

>implying i have friends

>"art requires huge amounts of work and sacrifice, and you have to love writing enough to power through that"
>lol cucks
The word cuck is destroying every board on this site. Literally every debate about every topic is derailed by /pol/acks like you that for some reason think this shit is edgy and offensive here of all places.

I've written 4 books so far and haven't tried to get published. I just love it all, the process, getting high off good ideas. I like my books and wish I could read them without knowing what will happen next but that's the catch when you write the book that is created exactly for yourself.
I hope my point of view will remind you of what yours was before you hit this stump.

Its like working out. If you do it for girls/publishers then there is no point. I will enjoy the massive pumps/gitty writing moments other people just look at it.
If other people get off to your getting off then you make money.(they should never get off more than you do since you are the rock creating the ripples)

Well anyway, what are ya'lls motivations?

>reverse search OP's pic because its so fucking charming
>No results at all, let alone a higher resolution one for background

OP pls halp

if you ignore the cuckfags they don't derail anything

>motivations
out.

I have secured my niche legacy, not through my fiction, but through literary criticism. About 6 years of active rejection for fiction, then success on one short story written in a day or two after a decade of not trying. When one has not the chops to do, then it is time to talk about those who can ... more than one way to skin a cat. (Caveat emptor: money, on the other hand, eludes my needy, greedy fingertips. I suspect that an inscribed copy of a book from a particular author to me will one day fetch more than the actual gross on my work)

Nice thread and this has been playing my mind a lot. For years I was burning with ambition, and I spent almost every night writing. I submitted one book and the publisher accepted it but I withdrew. I then wrote another but it was rightly rejected for being boring and event less. I now have two separate distinct ideas that I feel would each be great in their own respect. However, I don't feel that same desire as before, partly due to being worn down I guess and partly because the literary culture itself doesn't appeal to me or encourage me to continue writing. Again this may just be a failure on my part, but with so much content flying around and so little of it actually being read I feel hopeless in a sea of loud voices. I honestly believe that one way to overcome this is to post stuff on Veeky Forums that people enjoy reading or feel entertained by. I've read novellas recently that were not half as funny or profound even as the stuff I see on here and other boards from time to time. I see the MFA folk coming out with novel after novel and receiving a lot of mainstream credit but then quickly falling out of sight and it bothers me. There seems so little reward now for the risk of committing to becoming a published author, a risk that in my case would likely entail finding less respectable employment and suffering the social consequences of such a decision.