How does it compare with Mason & Dixon and Gravity's Rainbow?

How does it compare with Mason & Dixon and Gravity's Rainbow?

I would also like to know

Good, but not as good. Definitely better than Bleeding Edge, The Crying of Lot 49, Inherent Vice, and Vineland.

seriously. no one else has read this. I thought you guys like pinecone. your all a bunch of pseuds.

well it's alright

It's his best novel by far.

It's inferior to both. In fact, I might go as far as to say it's my least favorite Pynchon novel.

Vineland is his best

I'll get around to it

I've been telling myself this for 10 years now

opinion discarded

I like your contrarian tendency. I'll move Vineland up in ye olde backlog.

bump

I really enjoyed it. The setting, events, and characters are less interesting than in GR, but if you like the long rambly journey you get in a pinecone novel then there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy it. Hope you like anarchism, mathematics and descriptions of young women's asses.

Also Westerns.

Crying was pretty fucking great

bilocational

the side-story with the friendly sentient ball lightning who lights the guy's cigars is probably one of the cutest things in all of lit.

It's probably my favorite book I've ever disliked.

I can see how it would be great for the right audience, like, some autistic post-hippie Steampunk cosplaying History major who loves Westerns and twirly moustaches.

But is it essentially Gravity's Rainbow applied to WWI?

So far I've read 4 of his books and I'd rank them in this order:
Vineland >= TCoL49 > Inherent Vice >>> Bleeding Edge
I absolutely hated BE, but it could be because of reading it in translation. Inherent Vice felt lacked a little bit of entropy, but was highly enjoyable nonetheless, while the other ones were amazing, with Vineland carrying more feels. So help me Veeky Forums, which one should I choose next? I thought about following the chronological order from now on.

Not at all. It's a hard comparison from ATD to GR
ATD feels mainly like an urban fantasy Victorian Western

Go V or GR next for sure

GR is the kind of high stakes madhouse, V is a bit more laid back, a rambling beat novel with seedy peripheries

I've read every other book of his, and have loved all of them, but I just can't get around to this one somehow. Maybe it's because of the length, or maybe it's just because it's the only one left and there's something depressing about finishing an entire oeuvre.