Literary Confession Thread

Literary Confession Thread

I think the opening chapter to Atlas Shrugged is the best one I've ever read.

Fuck Catholics

I think DFW is one of the worst authors that I've read.

Y senpai

tribune of the plebs

I don't like a lot of Tao Lin's work, but "Tai Pei" is actually pretty good. It feels like he worked extra hard on it, or something like that, but for whatever reason the iciness and alienation comes across very poignantly and strongly in the story. I really do think Tai Pei is a great book, and if our generation has to have a book to express its zeitgeist, I wouldn't mind Tai Pei being it.

I disagree, I'm reading IJ atm and there's definitely some good stuff in there. What do you consider patrician in comparison? Serious answer please.

Hemmmmmmingway is a decent author.

Zettels Traum is harder than Finnegans Wake.

Ezra Pound is the greatest poet to ever live.

Harold Bloom is a pleb.

Tolstoy was the only good russian author.

>has never read Pushkin

Stay pleb, faggot.

Forgive me, I touch myself to the sublime form of the female and have lustful thoughts of being with a harem of ultimate pleasure and perfection. Sometimes I lie to avoid embarrassment, like what grades I score on some assignments that I lazily avoid doing.

Lol I will never understand why people ask what others got on an exam or an assignment.

>Ay mayne what did u get

repent

I've read 7 books and only Tequilla Mockingbird can be considered a classic.

America is currently the greatest literary nation in the world, even accounting for 'marginalized' literature from the third world and the global south. The failure of Europeans to acknowledge this is nothing but asshurt.

He said the "sublime form of the female," not some ugly 3D skank

i bet that chick is a complete pain in the ass

no need to be rude user

That isn't a confession; it's a fact, user.

god i want to crush her self esteem

I like the jewels under her eyes, but she'd still be better if she were in the anime art style

I like the Beats way more than they deserve to be liked.

truth: the post

Fuck you too.

^ Amerifat autists chiming in

Do I even need to say it?

I said I finished a book on goodreads, but I didn't actually finish it.

Fair call.

Probably correct.

You haven't read enough poetry.

I disagree.

You should read Turgenev.

>mediocre "our culture is money and freedum" dimwits who convinced themselves they could build anything while disregarding any substantial cultural base
>greatest literary anything

Then again mouthbreathing US trash reading nothing other than US writers and Dostoyevsky are the bread and butter of Veeky Forums.

I like some of his short stories and his poetry interesting, at the very least.

also, I like Ann Beattie.

This is the confessions thread, not the opinions thread.

It's been a few years since I read a book all the way through.

I'm impressed by Ann Rice's knowledge of geography

I'm only halfway through a book I started three months ago. The book is only about 250 pages long and not a difficult read by any means. I've been reading like ten pages a week.

I started with the germans

I think about papercuts on peeholes.

I only read two pages of Finnegans Wake yesterday.

I have never read Catcher in the Rye, and I don't know if I want to.

It's an alright book. I think the rambling narration would work better if it was read aloud in an audiobook.

I'm worried about my protagonist being enjoyable to read about. He's off on a quest to research his childhood and he has a side job with prostituting women.

And he abandons both of those things to chase a mysterious monster around out of revenge.

I wrote fanfiction.

So did Dante. No need to be ashamed.

I wrote BAD fanfiction.

I read this
I thought it was fabulous
and I masturbated several times while reading it

And I'm probably going to buy this on the day it is released too

No regrets

Many of us have, friend.

Did you ever write any explicit sex-fics, 'lemons' as they used to be called?

Yes.
With Aragorn.
And a lady orc.

Fantastic. Was it rape?

I always read this as "literally" and the realization of why that is kills me a little inside each time.

No.

go for it user

I write the ayn rand sex fanfiction you sometimes see in ayn rand threads

Post it

Oh, so Aragorn seduced the orc lady and they had a healthy relationship.

The total overuse of the term by mouthbreathers to the point it has come to signify both itself as well as its opposite?

I have about 60 books on my shelf and I've only read 8 of them.

I don't save them, I make them up on the spot. It's a good writing exercise and a way to ease myself from a literary mood to a masturbation mood.

And that by now I use it that way myself, because that is how language works. And I know that. It still feels like a loss.

This. America is a literary and all round cultural embarrassment. The only country to go from barbarism to decadence with no civilisation in between

I did that once.

you're allowed one per year

I will usually read around a half dozen books at once and oftentimes not finish some of them due to being preoccupied with one or two that I'm especially enamoured with. I have a bunch of books on my shelf that I've only read part of. I don't really ever get the plots mixed up, but I'll often put one or two of these books down for so long that when I finally come back to them I need to start over. I've read the first half of Catch-22 so often that every time I come back to it I don't know what part I'm at, since I've practically memorized the first half of the book. I rarely use bookmarks either (although I occasionally do, if I bother grabbing one when I start the book [I don't ever use random bits of paper however; I always use dedicated bookmarks, although they don't need to say anything specific on them]).

I never started with the Greeks and probably won't. Although I love Greek food, women and cheese I won't read their shit.
Read Zorba the Greek tho to impress a girl

shakespeare is an unenjoyable and overrated hack that the british still try to convince everyone through academia that he is some kind of genius. he had a style, and wrote with pedestrian ideas. he is nothing but a faggot, and the schools need to stop forcing their post colonial classics down our throats.

Fuck off, Shakespeare is indispensable.

>t. 12 year old contrarian

posting to see if F A M still filters as "desu"

senpai

>I'm in high school and teach is making me read old shit
>why can't we discuss Game of Thrones instead

shit I forgot it's T B H who filters as desu
guess f a m still filters tho

I don't know if I'm just retarded but I read The Myth of Sisyphus and some parts were just gibberish to me. I didn't really understood certain points like how passion is a result of absurdity. If someone asked me what the general idea of the book is I wouldn't be able to answer clearly.

Maybe I need to read it again.

I haven't read any of the meme trilogy and never plan to

I also don't own a single book written by a woman

I've never read a book

I reread Twilight when I was younger because I can enjoy someone heavily inserting themselves and wish fulfillment in my special way. It's the equivalent of watching a bad movie to make fun of it.

That's more progress than I've made.

i hate pynchon and think dfw is better

>i hate pynchon

>i hate pynchon

I hated every second of Walden and Anna Karenina.
Also, Ender's Game a shit.
I unironically enjoyed the Hunger Games series.

sorry i just hate your 'literature', nothing personnel

he doesn't know because he didnt read it at all, just another memer

I like Murakami.

You are a pleb, but if you enjoyed Hungry Games you might want to check out the Gregor books

It's by the same author and very similar, it's about this kid who lives in New York and when he wants to do the laundry he accidentally ventures into an underground country where pale people live who never see the sun, and all the animals are gigantic and they have to fight giant rats with swords while they ride on bats

The similarities are in the style and the thing where in Hungry Games, especially the last one, you have a group of characters wander about dangerous territory where they encounter all kinds of traps and shit and they have to watch close friends and relatives get murdered in horrible ways or sacrifice themselves and all that, and then he goes back home between books and feels all horrible about not being able to go to the local swimming pool because his body has creepy scars all over, it's similar to the whole "but i shot someone with my bow" memery from Hunger Games
Compared to Hungry Games the romance aspects are underdeveloped

I read best while at the park or beach. I usually find someplace away from people where I can sit down in the grass and shade and read my book in peace. This is why I always read the most books in the summertime.

how is shakespeare post colonial? he's pre colonial if anything

don't encourage him user

I unironically agree

I used to read tons of books, but life got busy and I only enjoy immediate gratification things now, and havent read a single book this year. Feels bad, all I enjoy are big literary giants but they take so long and so much effort to read. The most enjoyable book I've read recently, the end of last year, was Heart of Darkness

I had this for a while.
The way I got back into it was with something easy (Kafka on the Shore, not great lit but it was interesting enough to read on) and on my phone so I could read more easily on the go/in bed.
YMMV, but I'd recommend not starting directly with a Faust.

Pretty much everything I write is basically anime.

John Green is a genius. He knows how to appeal to teen girls and exploits the fuck out of it for fat stacks of cash.

Forcing children to read "classic literature" in schools only deters kids from reading altogether.

No, it just filters out the plebs early on.

Read something accessable then, like some David Mitchell or some Orwell. Something easier to read to get back into it.

youre not wrong

I had a teacher start reading The Executioner's Song. The students seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. Though I think they only were half way through when the board forced him to stop teaching it.

I spent a week "reading" Atlas Shrugged but really I was getting high every single day and looking at each line without taking in any meaning at all.

I got nothing out of that book but I flipped through every page and if people ask I'll say I read it.

what are you confessing here

So did Dante

Cute blog post

Kafka on the shore is one of my favourite books.

I have had a blank Scrivener document (yes I bought meme software) on my computer for about a week, and I continue to lie to people that I'm writing.

End me.