Lolita

Recently just read this book for the second time. Not a pedo, but I cried somewhere around 3/4's of the way in. It's just so sad, he loves her so much. She's everything to him and....yeah bros. I wish I could have what he has, but I don't believe in love anymore.

Anyway, did anyone know what he meant by "the nerves of the book" that he mentioned in the afterword? He specifically mentions certain parts - such as the list of Lolita's classmates and the way Charlotte says the word "waterproof", among others. What, unironically, did he meant by this?

Also, in a more general sense, I get this feeling like I'll never know all the ideas and levels of Lolita because it is simply such an elaborate piece of art. I'll never know why Nabokov wrote it, nor what it means at its heart, or anything like that - it gives me a sense of dread. I feel as if extremely high-art books like these are the most complicated puzzles known to man - and anyone who is able to solve their mystery will have an almost mythical power. I read because I'm still looking for the way out of this place.
Anyone else feel the same way?

if this isn't already a pasta it just became one

>Doritos, light of my life, cheese on my fingers. My hunger, my munchies. Do-ree-toes: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Do. Ree. Tos. It was chips, plain chips, during lunch, weighing one-point-eight ounces in one hand. It was Cheesy Nacho for snacks. It was Cooler Ranch at school. It was Salsa Verde in the shopping line. But in my mouth it was always Doritos

it is natural for men like you to crave the validation of their existence and get depressed if they fail to feel relevant, responsible.
The best way for a man to cater his need for approval is to serve some woman (and some of her children) through emotional&financial support.
Men are pleased to contribute to someone else life, to support their family.

Why women are a good way to feel relevant? Because women love to be provided for and each woman will always find a man ready to please her.
[for most men, the best feeling of feeling real is when the girl moans from your cock in her pussy]

THe problem for men is that they are disposable in the eyes of each woman, since all men wish to serve the few women who talk to them.
Men must thus invent several ways to please women, invention and creativity which strengthen their feeling of being worthy, relevant, in touch with reality.
Men are too impotent to find other way to feel real.
Once that the a woman replaces a man by another provider, the man gets very upset and depressed.
THis leads men to think that they are better than women, stronger, smarter and that they must built a life outside women. Some men manage to indeed built an empire, but they will always loos it for some women.
Women give meaning to men and betas, no matter how successful outside women, will always give up everything for some relationship with some woman who claim to fancy them.

Nabokov said Humbert was a prick who had a rather selfish concept of 'love' - i.e., he didn't really love her.

You're a tiny bit pedo, if inactive.

Piffle.

Hahaha

Who's going to tell him that Humbert Humbert is a prime example of an unreliable narrator?

>all those references to her soulless eyes
I have sympathy for him by the end when she tells him he has no chance despite years of searching for her but he was a complete and utter nigger to be frank

Youre a fucking idiot if you think love had anything to do with it. That or youre a teenager.

Si.

Humbert memed all over you, sperg.

Ever consider what his motivation is for writing the manuscript?

Being a pedophile really changes how you see the book. Apparently normal people think Humbert is a monster, and when they feel sympathy for him that's just because he's clever. I just thought Humbert was a lucky bastard who fucked things up by putting his happiness before Lolita's.

I'm not saying I agree with what he did, but if I were in his situation I doubt I would have done anything differently.

u on a list now senpai

he's on trial for murder. i don't think the manuscript is going to earn him any sympathy

He doesn't care about jury sympathy.

He cares about presenting a precise narrative that he wants in print.

I've been on a list. I kind of like the idea of an FBI agent having to read through my posts to see if I hint at committing a crime.

You fell for it m8
it was just a decrepit lust and all the "love" was his narcissism and literary pretentiousness trying to justify it
there is no essential difference between what he did and that Josef Fritzl guy who chained up his daughter and raped her repeatedly for years, it's just that he is literary author and is able to make what is ugly seem beautiful

you can tell that his contrition is not sincere at the end because he spends his final days in prison writing these masturbatory memoirs where he relives his fantasies and shows off his literary talent - not exactly the stuff of true repentance

Sounds like you fell for the "pedos are evil" meme and are just ignoring the entire last part of the book.

>reading for plot

I recommend the annotated edition, it helps a lot with the levels and the nerves and all that shit.

I am attracted to little girls and I still think Humbert is a monster desu. I would never actually touch or harm an underage girl.

Where have I read this before?

Humbert's harm didn't come from the sex, it came from his bad parenting. He cared about his own happiness more than Dolly's, the rest is just details.

I can't blame him for his first night with her. I think he was less capable of saying "no" than Dolly was of saying "yes". I can't even entirely disagree with his initial purpill plan; it was designed to protect Lolita from him. The problem started when he knew that she was sad, but instead of worrying about how to make her feel better he just worried about how to hold on to her.

Yeah he let his lust overpower his love and forgot that the object of his desires was a person, but I don't think that makes him a monster. He's just a flawed human.

Did Hummer kill Charlotte?

Not putting his happiness before Lolita's means never porking her. That should be obvious, even to a paedophile

she learned how to engage in sexual play at camp and propositions humbert

she obviously wanted it

she never gives a fuck about them having sex, she just gets bitter because he wont let her have friends or act in the play or generally have a life of her own.

true

this is shaping up to be a really pointless argument . I'm out