Has anyone on Veeky Forums read the whole of In Search of Lost Time? Is it as good as they say? How difficult is it?

Has anyone on Veeky Forums read the whole of In Search of Lost Time? Is it as good as they say? How difficult is it?

I read the first few pages on the internet once and nothing about the style seemed difficult, I think I'm apprehensive about starting it purely because it's so long.

daily reminder that you have to read it in french

Just got them half an hour ago, I'll start reading on it tonight.
I've seen people complain about it being difficult or 'boring', but that were mostly people who only read YA or chicklits otherwise.
It seems to deal a lot with inner monologues and stuff, but if you're remotely well read, that shouldn't be anything new.

>Veeky Forums
>Actually reading books and not just talking about them

did you get all of them?
seems like a big investment

Yeah well, it seems like they could keep me busy for a while, and books are one of the few things I spend money on.

This and only this

>This and only this

daily reminder that you have to read the ancient greeks in ancient greek

Me and yes.

It's occasionally boring though. It's tough. It's still the best thing I've read.

>Moncreiff translation considered since it's publication by great critics and wirters as one of the greatest English translations and a masterpiece in its own right.
>"NO LISTEN TO ME"

Can we please just kill all the pseuds?

seriously

>I think I'm apprehensive about starting it purely because it's so long.

You know the amount of shitposts you read daily probably match the length of the novel, and you get absolutely nothing from them while Proust will actually have insight and wisdom.

>folio society

RIP mommy's credit card

THEY ARE HIGH QUALITY BOOKS user GTFO WITH THIS SHITPOSTING I LIKE THEM OKAY DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND SOMETHING LOOKING GOOD ON THE SHELF IM NOT A SHILL FUCK YOU

They look tacky as shit.

But i can't read French

then you learn it, it's not mandarin

I have and it is, though you have to get to the end of the last one to understand why. Check Henry Miller's essay on the book in The Cosmological Eye; it's what sold me on reading it.

Teach me it then

Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?

I picked up the whole of it for four dollars at goodwill. The books themselves are in good shape just the boxset was a bit beat.

No. I read the first volume, Swann's Way, and decided it wasn't for me.

The Overture is very, very good, but it quickly loses its flair and begins trying to set up lots of details probably for some far away payoff. Some of it pays off by the end of the first volume, like the pianists's daughter, that's a decent connection, but that doesn't happen often enough to make it worth it.

I haven't read it entirely. We had to read extracts in Dutch and French in high school and I loved it! (But maybe it's just because I had an excellent teacher who had the ability to transfer his passion to his students.)

I plan on completing these once in my lifetime when I'm up for it.

Little fact about Proust: He slept during the day and worked at night and always wrote on his bed while he was lying on his tummy.

I read the last page. it is shit.

>Little fact about Proust: He slept during the day and worked at night and always wrote on his bed while he was lying on his tummy.
sounds comfy af
and wasn't he basically a NEET as well? I remember reading that because of his chronic illness his rich family never expected him to work and paid for all his expenses

Top kek don't know French but know the song

That's how I read but you get a fairly sore lower back if reading for ages kinda have to vogue around a bit every now and then. Is it 90% poo for fuck all decent story?

It's not really plot driven, but there is a story to keep you going, especially in the middle section.

Just read it, the characters are amazing and there is a lot to relate to

I'm the #1 Proust scholar in the world

Read it OP. The prosr is obviously beautiful but that is not its only strength in any way. The plot is tremendously engaging, you'll meet a wide cast of fascinating and colorful well-constructed characters and the philosophical ideas on art and life in general explored in it are truly compelling. It's the kind of book that can change you as a person and the one that is sure to follow you through you entire life. It isn't hard at all, the phrases are long (and by that I mean really long) but the secret is to let yourself go and you will find youself floating through those pages in the comfiest way possible.