General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WXMASMvwqUg
imgur.com/gallery/rXfvn
goodreads.com/book/show/23847992-dragon-heart
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Requesting aramini or another wolfe fan for this

One thing, as a farmer, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of agriculture in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our social caste and unwillingness. It's terrible social horror shit. It's dirty, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like to others forever. The effort starts bending your spine. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated dissapointment of not breaking the family tradition's mold, that king's desires for cannon fodder in the past, or just the need to nourish an overpopulated planet, override our own autonomy and emotions towards others, making you feel like they don't see in you what you see in them.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish farmers weren't constantly written as "Poor people! That cultivate crops!", and not facing the dirty wirty disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable to look down on people as "plebs" when the aforementioned are, for some people, and for many people, vital sources of aliments. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the feudal system.

Dorcas is a woman, her husband is the man.
Both Sev and Dorcas are resurrected by the Claw, which Severian doesn't know he has.

can someone recommend any good swedish science fiction?

Repostan
Thoughts on this ?

It's obviously good, but I'd be skeptical towards a J-E translation.

Thanks, anyone else have some more depressing fantasy?
No happy stuff allowed

And whence do the claws powers come, if not from the blood of the Head of Day himself? For Triskele, "the smallest of those dead", seems to be mighty lively before the coming of the claw.

(the dude (who's been searching his wife's body for 40 years)'s) wife
->
the wife (of the dude (who's [more details]))

He didn't get anything wrong, he just autismo'd the details out, because he doesn't get enough feedback with others.

I'd highly recommend K. J. Parker (pseudonym of Tom Holt) for some depressing fantasy. For instance, after reading the Hammer I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. Or the Fencer trilogy, that fucking ending...

What are some good /sffg/-related Youtube channels?

Thanks man

I'm right wing, /sffg/. I friend of mine told me to read the Sword of True because of that, but everyone I know says it's pretty bad, probably the worst thing to happen to Fantasy since Eragon.

Is it that bad? Can it worth something because of my political views?

Stop being a politics cuck and just read good books, jesus.

>Eragon

Something I grew up hearing about, and never understanding the fuss.

It's literally just fantasy.
Keep your politics out of it

Sword of Truth is right wing and bad. John C. Wright's Golden Age trilogy is right wing and good.

The fuck? Your political views might prevent you from enjoying a book? That's pretty pathetic.

I'm an atheist and an anti-theist: I was still able to enjoy books like Alvin the Maker, even though it's literally full blown Christianity non stop all the way through.

Hun, suspension of disbelief, you aren't supposed to agree with everything in a book.

I don't really know what you expect, read some of the biographies of popular authors, they grow up in predominately liberal affluent cities and choose degrees where they come into as little contact with the working class as humanly possible.

He's asking if his political views could make a bad book good.

I didn't say that, I just wanted to know if this book can be more fun if you agree with the author ideas, even if it's a terrible book, like Veeky Forums thinks SoT is. You guys missed the point, or I wasn't clear enough on the other post.

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it.

Ohhh, yeah, I just read it again, my bad.

Possibly it could, not sure though.

>I just wanted to know if this book can be more fun if you agree with the author ideas, even if it's a terrible book, like Veeky Forums thinks SoT is.

The book is complete and utter garbage, user. Enough said.

I did understand that, and I think it's silly.

Why would you want a bad book that could humor you because of your views or whatever, instead of just picking up a good book from the start?

Is Wheel of Time good?

Because another friend said it might work?

If you like Stockholm syndrome.

I didn't intend to read it right now, just some day, if I'm bored and I want something stupid.

I have a spreadsheet that I use as a backlog, If it was any good, I would add it.

This too.

No. Save your time.

Is not as good as the world thinks, neither as bad as Veeky Forums thinks.
It has good books and bad books. 1-3 are ok. 3-6 are great. 7-10 are atrocious. 11-14 are very good.

Pretty much this; it's not incompetent, just uninspiring.

It depends on your taste. I like it.

If you like Lotr clones with that old good vs bad story and two dimensional characters, but great wolrdbuilding, you'll probably like it,

Looks like the GoodReads web API has a fairly obvious path to the information I want (book/series relationship), but harvesting that data is technically against their terms of use. Worldcat is also pretty good, but my understanding of the record relationships is still shaky.

>socks on, feet warm
>socks off, feet cold

How the fuck do I counter this fresh hell

>he doesn't wear sox 24/7

>I live on Plute

Piss off u Icey fuck I want advice

I live in Britbong land m8 and I wear socks 24/7

>thinks LotR is Frodo vs Sauron

I saw some guy on a YouTube video saying that there was a wheel of time book (can't recall which one correctly) that made him quit the series.

He said he had loved it so far, but there was so much stale politics into that one he simply couldn't go on.

99% of chance it's book 10, 1% is 8.

Say what you want, but this guy is amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=WXMASMvwqUg

Is there any good military sf?
I'm reading Storm of Steel and will be in the mood for more.

Old man's war, by John Scalzi

It's awful, easily one of the 3 worst novels I've ever read.

>John Scalzi
Oh no.

>
I think Rothfuss is comparatively has masterfully written prose.
Scalzi may be the most insulting author I've ever encountered.

Wtf, the Talan Aimasse is 300k years old in Malazan?
Wtf

Stop spoiling books you dumb cunt.

Fuck yes. Easily the best epic fantasy in the last 50 years. The only people who bash it are young adults with ADHD-level attention spans. Books 7-10 move slowly, but it's certainly necessary for the set up of the conclusion of the series.

Rothfuss' prose is extremely eradicate in quality, probably a side effect of him having taken 7-11 to write just the first book.

>eradicate
erratic*

Sigh.

Yes so what?
There is alot more history then that though.
Many different races have lived in the past centuries.
That is literally not a spoiler.

It just seems weird.
I'm almost at the end of book 1 and I STILL have no god damned idea what the Genna Packies campaign is about or what it even is

Is that supposed to tell me something?

>end of book 1
>who is shadowthrone

I don't know?

Read the first poem (call to shadow)
The "genabackis campaign" is the name for the conquest of the continent genabackis through the Malazan empire.
Led by high fist dujek one arm.

Is it normal to have no idea what is going on in the book for Malazan?

That's not normal.
You're likely pretty stupid

No.
Only in the first one.
The second is alot better and less confusing.

Have you figured out who shadowthrone is yet?

The first book is literally a unreadable jumbled mess that has entire blogs dedicated to justifying its existence, It's normal.

I have 79 IQ according to my psychologist, so maybe

No, everyone has so many names, I keep seeing The Tista Andy and some others who get called this and that and it's confusing

Yes, it's called shit writing.

I didn't think the first one was that bad. You just have to patiently absorb facts until everything comes together. Granted I was confused about places not being on the map... They really should include all mentioned continents.

I posted about it in the previous thread. Just use ctrl f to find it.

Basically the anime stayed extreamly close to the novel, but about halfway through you start to get to some interesting new things. Since the first novel covers what seemed like more than a third of the anime the books after the first should probably be much better.

As far as the writing goes it seems pretty ok for a j to e translation. It moves very fast.

>call somebody stupid to trip his ego
>he's actually a fellow double digit IQ masterrace
S-sorry

First book of Malazan is just badly written, later ones are better

>First book of Malazan is just badly written, later ones are better

Aren't the last five quite bad?
Haven't read any.

Any of you read criticism on cyberpunk? Point me.

>Aren't the last five quite bad?
Where you've read that?

Erikson is a consistent writer.

>Reading Recommendations from George R.R. Martin
imgur.com/gallery/rXfvn

this is the top trend on imgur right now

>Scott Lynch
>Patrick Rothfuss
>Joe Abercrombie
I know theses 4 are best-buds but Jesus George, have some humility, that's some Tor-tier incestuous self-jerking.

I don't know how anyone can stand to be in the same room as Rothfuss

With a few exceptions, he's just shilling for unrecognized authors.

>unrecognized authors
Uhh, what? they're all well recognized and popular authors.

>Uhh, what? they're all well recognized and popular authors.

Tell that to the people sending him those e-mail asking for books.

I've heard good things about Hammer's Slammers, but IIRC it's mostly a collection of short stories.

Written by a guy who did some time in Vietnam, so it's supposed to be pretty grounded despite having fusion powered supertanks.

>Fafrhd
>Conan
>Gormenghast
Holy shit GRRM was the Dinosaur poster all along!

What's your point? every /sffg/ thread is filled with people who beg for recommendations despite not having read anything in the "selected" chart.

I'm not trying to make any point. What I think is, he's deliberately not promoting authors like Sanderson and Steven Erikson due to their success.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I mean I'm not one to judge by goodreads ratings but...

goodreads.com/book/show/23847992-dragon-heart

Seems like he's shilling it for the sake of it, instead of recommending a good book.

Next up, "Why don't bad book reviews exist", the answer won't surprise you!

The GRRM post it's based on is over three years old...

Have you read World Without End? That book goes into quite some detail on the medieval agricultural system, including how arbitrary and unfair it is.

That book was written by somebody educated in pseudo-history by the history channel, it couldn't even get the mediaeval social hierarchy correct.

This is great. 10/10

I mean he's totally wrong and doesn't understand how mediaeval society worked, the concept of being a "farmer" didn't really exist, everybody farmed, they weren't dirty and had pretty good hygiene, didn't really deal with much bullshit caused by the aristocrats, villages were mostly autonomous from the manor, aliments weren't common for adults because they only worked 8 hours a day with at least 2 of those being naps and meals, fucktons of holidays and festivals, clean water and plenty of ale.

Do I need to go on?

yesss goy become a medieval peasant, we will provide ale

user says they are farmer. Even if they've never been plowed know all about these things. Seriously.

>user says they are farmer
user should've gone to University and studied agriculture science then, who the fuck believes in overpopulation in 2016? have you seen how efficient we can grow produce now?

Prose is the cancer killing Veeky Forums

>who the fuck believes in overpopulation in 2016
>It's 2016 guise, don't believe there's too many people and too few resources, the singularity is right around the corner, I promise you goys!

Not that guy, but there's clearly not overpopulation. What there is is dysgenics, where the less developed breed more than the more developed. Don't confuse them.

You're dangerously stupid.

What would that be about? High tech cuck sheds? Gay niggers from outer space? Time travelling nigger breeds someone's wife?

>trying to write a kitchen-sink fantasy novel
>one of the characters is basically supposed to be baby jesus 2.0 in another universe
>realize I have no idea how the hell the church of that universe is supposed to react to shit like that, what the child's place in the hierarchy would be, what their freedoms or responsibilites would be, etc.

Why don't you look at real life reactions? The Jewish response to Jesus and the Christian response to Islam for example.

Yeah, I recommend watching The Passion of the Christ. It's really the only way to understand Jesus' selflessness and the vitriol of the Jews.

So I always liked Tolkien, I know he's about as mainstream you can get except maybe for GRRM at the moment, but I'm still in love with his works. This is troublesome for me since I can't seem to find anything more like it.

I have read many fantasy novels from different authors but none seem to capture that same spirit or breath as Tolkien. So I'm asking you guys, which authors are the inheritors of Tolkien? As in people who were inspired by his stories directly and didn't just superficially copy him or tried to subvert his works but authors who wanted to do what he did. The only thing I've read that feels vaguely similar is greek and norse myth.