Any french Veeky Forums fellows here? I came here a while ago for reccomendation on french litterature...

Any french Veeky Forums fellows here? I came here a while ago for reccomendation on french litterature, which I have followed and expanded upon, but feel free to suggest more obscure titles or dense works.

I was here called a pleb for liking Voltaire and, upon verification, it was true.

Can French people be plebs?

What did you read so far?

Léon Bloy - Le désespéré
L.F Céline - Mort à Credit
Pierre Drieu La Rochelle - Le Feu follet
Honoré de Balzac - Le Père Goriot
Gustave Flaubert - L’Éducation Sentimentale

Candide and Zadig are good, don't know what you're talking about.

French guy here. Yeah, most French people are total plebs. The aristocracy is almost dead.

Candide is based on a strawman directed at Leibniz. Zadig was irrelevant, I read it in highschool and don't remember it at all.

Andre Gide is a nice read.

Since writers like Voltaire or Hugo are taught in middle school and high school, they're considered pleb-tier. Voltaire also sounds like a pretentious contrarian. OP, I would recommend François Mauriac, André Gide, Léon Bloy, Jean Echenoz, Anatole France, Georges Duhamel. Céline is also great but it seems pretty hard to get into. On poetry, you should definitely read Saint-John Perse, Charles Péguy, Émile Verhaeren or Jacques Prévert.

BECKETT

Que des classiques, longs te rigoureux... Is Veeky Forums that pretentious ?

Rimbaud
Celine

Trash
Read Queneau, Flaubert, Proust, Robbe-Griller etc

Molière
Voltaire
J.J. Rousseau
Chretien de Troyes
Diderot
Coudrette
Hugo
Vigny
Maupassant
Flaubert
Sartre
Colette
And much more tbqh
Great suggestions, very original too, I'll note it down.
Zadig was shit, Candide was petty. L'ingénu and Micromegas are his best work imho.

Il demande des œuvres denses et les écrits de Bloy ou Drieu La Rochelle sont loin d’être des classiques... Is Veeky Forums that foolish?

J'ai lu rapidement, mais je faisais référence au passage sur Voltaire. Je me suis trompé de message à vrai dire...

>Le Nouveau Roman
>Good
>The guy who wrote fucking Zazie dans le Métro
>Good

Your tastes are "première année en fac de Lettres" tier.

En quoi Louis-Ferdinand Céline est-il « rigoureux » ?

Frankly, I'm not sure going through the classics is worthwhile unless you really like a particular style. You should read some short stories and decide whether you want to go deeper or not.

I've read Maupassant's shorter works and was left unsatisfied. His novels were great though. Baudelaire's prose was great too, and so was Vigny's.

…then is your answer high school-tier rhetoric?

Hahaha, magique !

J'ai généralisé, je n'aurais pas dû.

Joachim du Bellay - Les Regrets

le travail et l'usure

Grosse merde.

>Voltaire
>Rousseau
>Diderot
>Sartre
>Colette
>wasting time on all these shits
Well at least you know more about literature now. Proudhon's Les Femmelins to get your literature staight.

All of these are great.
You can add Stendhal, Barbey, Bernanos, Huguenin, J. Green for prose, but you may also need poetry

+ the rest of the Pléiade, some of the Grands Rhétoriqueurs, d'Aubigné, Scève, La Fontaine, Corneille, Racine, Boileau, Malherbe, Chénier, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Moréas, Verlaine, and so on.

Looking at how they vote right now, at least half of the country must be radical pleb.

Can someone name post-revolution French Veeky Forums that has done anything other than propagating other French Veeky Forums?

Beckett

I see no post-revolution authors who have contributed anything to non-French Veeky Forums.

I'm just stating facts.
Anyone with a certain sensibility for literature would never prefer Queneau or Robbes-Grillet and diss Céline or Bloy.

> muh tastes

All of them derserve respect and attention.

nice how you skip over Beckett, the one author who is a clear exception to your rule

Des choses que j'ai lues récemment :

>Histoire comique de Francion - Charles Sorel
De bonnes grosses farces et des histoires de cul. Un poil long, mais c'est des barres.

>Le Page disgracié - Tristan l'Hermite
Pour un aperçu des rapports entre les gens au XVIIe. Et bien sûr pour l'aventure de Robert le singe.

>Un roi sans divertissement - Jean Giono
Parce que Langlois est un BAMF et parce que la dernière phrase en vaut la peine.

ne pas déclamer La pucelle de voltaire en prenant ta chérie en lele...

>ne pas déclamer

[Spoiler] I own the entire work of Colette, some of her corespondances, a biography and an essay on her. [/Spoiler]

No, I saw that.
But is there really only one exception?

I mean, who else? The insufferable Lacant, who spawned the chucklehead Zizek?

What is this supposed to mean

rip

the only valuable thing with her was her relationship with De Jouvenel son

It struck me that there aren't a bunch of French authors that are very relevant outside of French literature.
This includes philosophers, which are often mentioned, but rarely seriously considered outside of France.

i would say beckett, celine, sartre, maupassant, balzac and proust are definitely heralded worldwide

honostly i'm not sure i understand what you mean. lots of relevent literature came from france

S'en aller! S'en aller! Parole de vivant!

only because you're not in France

>relevant
So you're talking academia
>philosophers, which are often mentioned, but rarely seriously considered outside of France.
On the contrary - they're not seriously considered by anyone in France (maybe their brand of swindling requires a patina of exoticism, or maybe the national arrogance is just immune to it), but in the US the humanities fell in love with them back in the seventies and still haven't woken up. They seem pretty popular in Japan too

>but in the US the humanities fell in love with them back in the seventies and still haven't woken up

Only in pseudo-intellectual fields like "Cultural Studies". Not in legit fields like Philosophy.

>mvq je me retrouve avec des gens de trois ans de moins que moi en L1 de droit
quoi faire?

Ne pas aller dans une filière que tu abandonneras.

Maybe French culture ought to just stay artisan and leave thinking to the Brits and Germans.

Hey French fags - do you still hate the Cagots?

Why are you such bigots?

Wikipedia just taught me what a cagot is. I'm an adult french.
Did you hear about the cagots through your sociology or history teacher? Serious question.

>csq je trouve des gens 3+ ans de plus que moi en L1 de droit.

merde

Strange. I'm German and I had the same experience when someone asked me about "Sinti and Roma".

>inb4 hitler jokes

Weird. I'm American and had the same experience when somebody asked me about so-called "black people". I don't see color, so I'm completely baffled.

toi tu n'es pas français

What about Chateaubriand's memoirs? Just bought the whole thing for 10$ (4 hardcover volumes, mint condition.)

same as

comment peut-tu la observer, brillant grenouille dont j'en ai beaucoup de respect pour.

Vewy baffuraring. I am from greato Nippon and had-e se same experienc-e wis FILSY DISONURUBRU "Barakumi". I know not what zat is.

I can't even remember why they're famous, historical value likely, but they read like a novel