Dyson spheres

What does Veeky Forums think about dyson spheres?
personally i think they are a possibility and that human civilization will probably build in the future

Is the enerhy budget for this sort of thing even possible? It takes a huge investment, not to mention mass. Is that possible? And when it's done will there be sufficient return on said investment?

The amount of energy "generated" by a the sphere makes it all worth it, i believe.
Although the materials and the engineering is the problem

Anyone who could build one wouldnt need to

just some dumbass meme shit

What would be the point?

Why is there 1 red triangle

i don't think the colors mean anything

But if you want massproduction you have to think big and invest your resources

Dyson spheres should be small and made for gathering sunlight and power.
Making them any bigger for living is retarded since you'd need gravity generators or some shit.

>build round star
>star dies
>lol gl getting it around another star

Also. It'd have to be hella strong to withstand asteroid impacts on a regular basis.

obviously you wont be building your dyson sphere around a dying star

True that

>What does Veeky Forums think about dyson spheres?
They're a product of the Kardashev Scale, which is itself absurd.
Why would you consider a society more advanced if they consume more energy.
Per-capita energy use in the U.S. is going down.
Does that mean we're becoming less advanced?

no it doesnt. But as a whole humanity needs more energy than 2 thousand years ago

Yes and in the future we will probably need a huge amount of energy to take care of our growing population and technological evolution.
In the last 200 years the energy used per-capitia energy have gone upwards

For things like space travels we will need a humongous amount of energy

>in the future we will probably need a huge amount of energy to take care of our growing population

More advanced societies don't grow indefinitely.

>For things like space travels we will need a humongous amount of energy
Sure, but the galaxy's biggest solar farm doesn't seem like a good way to about it.

What a worthless comment.
This is the type of garbage neil tyson would say if he couldn't think of anything useful

but it is probably right, you pop-sci faggot

No, if anything
This is an NDT reply.

Anybody who thinks they are remotely achievable doesn't know how big the sun is. Anybody who thinks they'd be useful doesn't know anything about solar energy generation or power transmission.

The only thing worse than popsci is fantasy-tier scifi.

I know the sun is 1,300,000 times bigger than earth therefore we will we need to gather whole planets of mass if we want to build the sphere.

The engineering we will probably figure out in the future, taking care of meteors, gravity on the sphere etc.

But all this is worth it, because of the energy the fusion on the sun releases

>we need to gather whole planets of mass
if we could do this without the dyson sphere, for what exactly do we need the sphere?

to gather even more planets of mass