Why is it that a lot of people thinks if something is made under the influence of LSD and other shit its the most deep...

Why is it that a lot of people thinks if something is made under the influence of LSD and other shit its the most deep and experimental and really good shit? I see this in a lot of arts, even here. It sounds like a plus for a writer to have used LSD when he was writing.

Examples?

From what I understand, intelligent people are sometimes drawn to drugs and mind altering substances. If a writer used LSD or shrooms it probably has less to do with wanting to write something cool, and more to do with the fact that that's just what some creative people are into.

In music, trout mask replica.
In fiction, I have read the fact that Pynchon did use LSD as if was a important detail.

Because LSD makes you think in unconventional and interesting ways, and so, the result is usually unconventional and interesting.

this.

Fuck, I am such a mediocrity acid just makes me a non-verbal autist with the attached bonys of pretty pictures. I am so fucking envious at epiphanies and crazy logic chains or anything others experience, my thoughts remain regular, just a bit jumbled. And that's not just acid - 2C-B, DOM, nbomes, whatever, the results are comparable. I'd rather become a lunatic hippie shaman than just unconformatably stare at people for 8 hours straight.

Yep, this. It's not that hallucinogens make writing good, but a good writer might choose to use them to get new ideas. Also, some people have religious/mystical experiences while on these drugs, which can lead to deeper levels of thought.

From what I can tell only the idiots think they have religious experiences or something like that.

They instead just have their reality changed a bit. They didn't think they could experience life in the way acid affected them.

It's like people saying go travel in order to "find yourself". Both cases are thinking that your bubble of infancy will be shattered by "reality" hitting you while traveling or doing drugs.

It's pretty stupid.

Start with the basic Greeks and the Bible, then Plotinus' Enneads, the Corpus Hermeticum, the Tibetan Book of the Dead and the Tao Te Ching, then Aldous Huxley and Terence McKenna. You should find that your trips lead to more interesting experiences.

Confirmed for never traveling nor taking any drugs.

Because the entire 1950s-1970s were a gigantic meme in murrica.

???
>Neither psychedelics nor world travel will forcibly make you transcend limited subjectivity, so never bother with them.

Here's a hot tip: Neither will reading DFW over and over. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do any of those things tho. Maybe you should just evaluate why.

It's possible that Pynchon wrote while tripping, but he keeps it mysterious.

I feel like there's more of a correlation between writing and alcohol than acid, and while I do think psychedelics can provide writers with a broader frame of Perception in their work, you don't commonly hear about them writing while tripping.

And anyway, revision is the most important part of writing, and I definitely can't imagine people sitting down to revise after dosing.

NOOT NOOT

You don't necessarily need traveling or drugs to change your perspective on things. It can be something simple as daily observations of yourself and the people around you.

Because you hang out with twenty year olds who don't actually read.

That said, psychedelics are just used wrong. They're deconditioners and introspective catalysts. You don't just take them and get super awesome ideas. You take them and dissolve your own particular boundaries in intense and lasting and emotionally charged ways and then continue living life as a person who had that experience. It's just a little bit of being forced to face yourself for a second. It won't make you see god, unless you mean god as a psychological structure. And it doesn't make you 2deep4anything. It just makes your philosophical speculation seem less hypothetical to you.

This. Psychs are useful tools for self-examination, which can lead to more novel ideas down the road than if the user had not done that self-examination.

High-IQ people also seek out novelty in things like substances and sex more than less intelligent people.

>High-IQ people also seek out novelty in things like substances and sex more than less intelligent people.

I guess /d/ is a bunch of failed einstens lol

The real reason, actually, is that others try to justify their own usage of acid/drugs/etc by pointing at successful artist/writers/etc, whom drugs have "helped" create their work.

As someone who has experimented with drugs and whose friends have experimented with drugs and gotten themselves into many a disturbing sexual escapade, I have to doubt the legitimacy of these claims. If this is smart, I'd hate to see stupid.

Confirmed for trust-fund babby.

DUDE

You remind me of a friend I once had that was the nephew of a famous LGBT poet and the son of some well-to-do business executive, into psychedelics and "fine experiences" and My Little Pony that date raped me the first time I went to his dorm for vidya and scotch. The wealthy and spoiled were born into such hedonistic excess that they have to convince themselves that consumption is its own form of work, and that by experiencing they are automatically creating. I bet you feel real smug, every time you deconstruct the experience of molesting a 10 year old boy at a volunteer shelter under the influence of psilocybin, perhaps imagining yourself like one of the great Greek pederasts.

>Here's a hot tip: Neither will reading DFW over and over. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do any of those things tho. Maybe you should just evaluate why.
but hedonists take drugs explicitly to make them feel a higher reality

The psychedelic experience is a doorway which leads to a hallway which leads to only what you want to find within yourself.

In other terms, a drug is nothing but a high-yield (fast but not perfect) technique to reach partly what your reason and heart cannot achieve fully in your opinion. If anything, it is a total lack of confidence in your reason and in your abilities to philosophy to be at ease with life; ease which remains unlikely, given that the choice of doing these drugs with the goal of opening your awareness and opening your mind is already a sign of close-mindedness and poor ability to reflect.

You haven't listened to captain beef heart or read Pynchon, fuck off

You're a fool who is unaware of the difficulty of actually breaking through to new modes of thinking that were previously not possible. Drugs are not strictly necessary for any of this experience, but you sure as hell can't simply decide to simply sit down and 'find yourself' and actually achieve your full potential like that unless you are unaware of the nature of your actual mental limitations.

>molesting a 10 year old boy at a volunteer shelter under the influence of psilocybin
Because shrooms are known to make people highly unempathetic.

You just met a rapist. It's sad and all but go fuck yourself you idiot.

Someone who travels has a trust fund? I walked from austin to south padre with nothing but a backpack full of ramen and like twelve bucks. It was a five day walk followed by a four day campout followed by a beach rave, fucked a bitch, came back feeling like a man.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about it and you're terrible at talking about it. You sound stupid and you should feel bad

Nobody said you do dummy. But it's a lot of fun and there's few better ways to dissolve pretense and see through receptive eyes and mind than chemically forcing it.

Tripping is an introspective catalyst. Not a party favor. Stop using it as a social glue to hang out with people who are probably idiots, that's only externalizing yourself and resisting the experience.

These are the only insightful posts here and of course they go ignored. It's like my twenties all over again. Babysitting a bunch of assholes that don't know how to drugs.

>High-IQ people also seek out novelty in things like substances and sex more than less intelligent people.
you know that High-IQ is a disease, nothing to be proud of, right ?

Its sad that you were raped, but can you not see how this experience has clearly made you project onto this poster that he is a rapist simply because of some arbitrary parallels between him and your rapist?

MOTHERFUCKER

Don't forget about the baseball pitcher who claimed he was on LSD when he pitched a no-hitter.

That question is relevant 50 years ago.

>feel guilty about being richer and more accomplished than me
No, and keep your toxic ressentiment to yourself