English/Creative writing major

Is it still worth it to major in English/Creative Writing if I want to become a fiction writer? For context, I'm planning to double major in Music (which is non negotiable) and something humanities related, but I want to make sure that I pursue the right path to become a writer. Would it be more beneficial to use the time reading and writing on my own, or majoring in philosophy to help better my "ideas"? I've heard a lot of crap about English as a major, and want to spend my time as efficiently as possible, so I'm a little reluctant about fully committing to it. What do you semen demons think?

think about how many writers you've read that attended creative writing classes

i will guess: 0

>Would it be more beneficial to use the time majoring in philosophy to help better my "ideas"?
Of course fucking yes.

>Would it be more beneficial to use the time reading and writing on my own?
Of course fucking yes.

A good literature major would be great to have, but judging by the stories there literally is no such thing in the US, and possibly even abroad.

Oh yeah, and the creative writing part of your question, obviously the answer was "no"

You can just take the relevant and write without fully committing to the major. Thats what I did (Major is Marketing)

From my own experience in CW classes, they're very good as a social experience and learning how to give and handle critique, and also making connections with other writers, but its only as good as you make it. Treat it as a testing ground and you'll learn many things. Do you best with each project, but avoid being that guy who wants to impress everyone or thinks he's above what others say, because if you were really that good you wouldn't even be taking the class and would be published already. There's always something to learn.

To be fair, there actually will be times where it's clear that someone half-assed their critique, but take it in stride, and be sure to do your best when you give critique to others. Trust me when I say it means alot to anyone who is serious about their writing.

Take the relevant classes*

Probably only do it if you can get into a very good school, ivy league or one of the top english ones. And study something like literature or philosophy.

Otherwise I'd be cautious, you need to feed yourself and chances are you're not very talented, sorry.

>Majoring in music and being stubborn about it.

Do you want to be a musician or a writer?

>Think how many writers you've read that took classes. Surprisingly many, who went to college. You don't have to be the greatest author of your time to be an author and help is help.

think about how many living published writers attended creative writing classes

i will guess: nearly all

lol this

I dont know where these Veeky Forums pseuds get the idea that a writer is born in a vaccum away from other writers and just absorbs classics until they feel ready to drop a big shit on some agents desk. Its hilarious.

>Do you want to be a musician or a writer?
Yes, Joyce?
Yes, Burgess?

i've nothing against university or normal education by any means, just think that creative writing classes tends to be shit

i doubt that

>i doubt that
I doubt you read a single living author that isn't a Veeky Forums meme.

Here's a real answer for you. If you want to write fiction, the best thing you can do is to constantly read and write (cliche). Majoring in English will give you innumerable opportunities to read and write. Thus, yeah, English Majors are undoubtedly better writers. However, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to spend $40,000 on English classes. If you really want to, you can major in anything and still put hard work into reading and writing. It's up to you to decide whether you need classes to force you into spending your time on what you're passionate about.

Writing theory and rhetoric is actually very useful in creative writing.

>"want to spend my time as efficiently as possible"
>said the person planning to major in Music and English

ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahha, enjoy that $150k of student loan debt while you're unemployed after graduating friendo

>$150k

land of the free

>you're unemployed

>he isn't NEET

I'm an English major and particularly enjoy it, though my goal career is to eventually teach it. It's worth it if you plan to utilise it.

STEM degree here.

English is a teach your way into poverty degree. Any major that isn't STEM is a bad investment objectively speaking at current tuition.

Writing is a hobby unless you're one of the top 10000 or so writers at the top of creative, news, and copywriting. There are less people worldwide with writing jobs than their have been since the 18th century.

Please don't major in English. I wasted 3 years and $30,000 on it, man up and take calculus before its too late.

>non-humanities
>human

I've done both.

Sophomore science and math curriculum is higher time commitment than anything in English till you go post-graduate.

It's a better, more useful, and much harder discipline. I love English, but most english programs are a joke.

This is me. I want to major in english/creative writing, but I know I can be a teacher as well.

Get a real job and write on the side.

> There are less people worldwide with writing jobs than their have been since the 18th century.

"fewer"

And that bullshit - every start-up company, marketing agency etc. will need copywriters and SEO's. There are more people making a living from writing (writing shite, but whatever) than ever.

>tfw comparative literature
>tfw peers actually know philosophy
>tfw nobody is called racist for reading continentals
>tfw foreign languages mean not having to read boring British trash all the time
>like all the fucking time
>tfw can still use real English (American) lit whenever I want

English programs are shit. Do world literature. Learn a language. Learn a couple languages. The only theory English students read is post-structuralism so they don't even know what they're deconstructing. About 75% of them should also probably be in sociology instead of in a literature program. Then there's all the people studying rhetoric and composition who are literal robots. Creative writing programs are also essentially summer camps full of exactly the kinds of people you'd expect.

There's nothing wrong with a humanities degree if you know what you're in for job-wise (100% plan on going to grad school) but avoid English. Comp lit and majors like it are super flexible and you can work on anything from music to cinema. They also just open your schedule up in ways you wouldn't believe.

how is comparitive lit different from straight English besides the added language study and different choice of texts?

Usually no difference at all

kek

>Writing is a hobby
STEMbot alert.