Can literature be appropriative?

Can literature be appropriative?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dEVX42Pg1xw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can literature be unappropriate?

Literature is only appropriative, but that's not a bad thing. Literature is the redigestion of outside things like philosophy within literature is the redigestion of outside thought. Ideally, it adds something new. John Green, on the other hand, appropriates exclusively cuckoldry and thin-necked faggotry.

P R O B L E M A T I C
- millennials

cultural appropriation doesn't exist outside of the mentally ill psyche's of liberals, so no.

Is that OP image trying to imply that anybody should care about cultural appropriation?

Its a natural thing that has happened ever since cultures have met, only racist hypocrites have a problem with it.

Literature is often appropriative, but (cultural) appropriation isn't real in any serious context

Cultural appropriation = You cant dress the way my people do

Is that all it boils down to or is there more to it? serious question.

yeah it's basically bossy butthurt cunts

There are people who wont read a work of fiction or nonfiction because it speaks about a culture that is not inherent to the author.

No culture existing today has made it to this point in time without engaging in cultural appropriation. It is the main mechanism by which cultures develop and therefore yes. Litterature is always appropriative in the sense that it necessarily selects among items of appropriation (memes) by simply being a form of communication and as such a sorting of the items of that communication inevitably promoting some while undermining others.

Why is appropriation bad? If appropriation is bad, is segregation good?

Define racist.

Isn't the definition of culture basically just people copying other people?

no, appropriation isn't inherently negative

yes

I'm not sure of that either, but what I think most of the people using this in a negative context mean to say that you "use", or act in some way, without taking the emotional, historical, or whatever baggage along with you, that is, taking over a part of someones culture without acknowledging the rest.

I'm unsure if that is accurate, but from what I have seen this is what they think.

Of course literature can be appropriative. Think about Huck Finn, which most of us would agree is a deeply racist book, because it's a white writer using the n word to promote racism. But it's obviously different when black writers use it, like in Roots or Beloved, because they're using it in the context of fighting for their people.

>Huck Finn
>promotes racism

when you sparknote it for 11th grade English you'll see that you are mistaken

man if you don't like a book just don't fucking read it.

no, joyce came up with the laughing frogs by himself, everyone's just been stealing his pepes since

Didn't Mark Twain use the n word only to show how racist the South was?

honestly, it comes down the culture and generation of that culture.
Like if you wear Indian clothing, people from India won't care, but they're first-gen American kids will be all MUH CULTURE and accuse you of appropriation. Turbans are obviously different, it's a religious thing.
Once I saw an American clothing company design their sweaters with the markings of some Pacific islanders' tribal tattoos they use for the ritual for a when a boy becomes a man, obviously that wasn't cool. Same with coachella hipsters wearing ritual headdresses.

It turns into identity politics pretty fucking quickly because it's only first-gen descendants that complain because it's a misrepresentation of muh identity. People from the appropriated country don't care 90% of the time as long as it's not religious or ceremonial

Is there any literature that's NOT appropriative?

>it's a white writer using the n word to promote racism.
>white writer
>using n-word
>must be racist
when you log off of your tumblr and come to browse here, please don't take tumblr with you.

bruh i'm p sure that was irony

The white man appropriates my culture, my identity, my history, my land, and I appropriate his women

>It's a white writer using the n word
nigger was originally a white word, blacks appropriated it from white culture as a way to take power from the word.

Are you me?

>Shucking and jiving around a fire to the tune of crude jungle drums
>Culture

No. No. No. Huck Finn goes above just simply using the word nigger as just a pejorative. If you continue to read it rather than dropping the book after the first instance use of that word; you'll see that Twain humanizes blacks which at the time in the south was unheard of.

>obviously that wasn't cool

Why? People do not 'own' those things just because of where they were born. Being religious or ceremonial does not give anything any extra validity either. Its outright dangerous to pander to anybody who claims it does, superstitions should be treated as what they are.

Blacks appropriate shit from white people all the time; education, dignity, abiding by the law, clothing that consists of more than just a loin cloth, etc.

Identity politics is just a load of bullshit created by people who aren't smart but want to sound smart. Bandying around words like 'appropriation', 'problematic' and 'systematic racism' makes them feel worldly and intelligent even though anyone with one ounce of critical thinking skills sees through this bullshit.

Why is nigger a racist word? Niger simply means black in latin? Or are they offended because this word comes from educated white people who knew latin?

Bait

>the people who are the most vocal about the superiority of whites are the only ones who are autistic/stupid enough to bite every piece of race bait thrown their way
Like pottery

>>>/leftypol/

Nigger was originally a way of describing someone from Nigeria.

People began to apply it to all blacks in the US.

What the word means, what someone is saying when they call someone "nigger" is "I can hurt you and society will protect me and not you" "I can beat you, mutilate you, hang you, do anything I want to, and everyone will support me"

We're not leaving, and you have to get used to us.

Can questions be stupid?
Is the president a nigger?

>We're not leaving

You will, and from a great height too.

nIggggeER xDdDdD

Isn't white tears an euphemism for cum?

It's really amazing to think, Stalin killed more fascists and fascist sympathizers than any other man on Earth. He practically annihilated the Eastern European academic presence of Fascism, preventing it from any kind of growth. Literary, philosophical, all of it burned gone, and shot.

Without his help, maybe the right might have been more prevalent in academia? I doubt it. The Alt-Right will always be, the Alt-Right.

The funny thing on cultural appropriation is that in most cases, the accuser admits to their own racism. You're saying "what you're doing offends me because of your race".

It's understandable that certain usages of cultural elements can be seen as mocking, or diminishing the meaning that element holds in it's own culture. But if a member of that culture does it, that act still just as demeaning. If people are more offended because the act is commited by someone of a specific race/culture/etc., then that's because those people have biases against the acteur's group.

So yes, literatue can be cultural appropriative, but I don't give a fuck what racists think.

>What the word means, what someone is saying when they call someone "nigger" is "I can hurt you and society will protect me and not you" "I can beat you, mutilate you, hang you, do anything I want to, and everyone will support me"

Then it doesn't make much sense when Blacks call each other this word

This old argument lol

I'm not le edgy atheist, but it literally does not matter at all. In the end it is all bitching about clothes. The only context where it matters is if someone within that culture is misusing it. ie Native kid who wears a headdress he didn't earn.

I come from a country where there are almost none Black people, so I don't argue often

That doesn't make much sense when you would go to jail for beating, mutilating, hanging etc. a black person.

I see a cultural parallel between African American cultural resentment towards the way they were treated in the past, and the Korean cultural concept/affliction of Han that's also prevalent in Korean American circles. It's not totally unheard of to have long lasting resentment from events long in the past.

It's bullshite. Consequence of a liberal 'multiculturalist' system that annihilates culture, robs it of all meaning, reduces it to a mere 'identity', a series of hollow images. Living culture is replaced by sacralised mass market kitsch. Think liberal elite media's hysterical praise of Beyoncé as some sort of 'civil rights' demigod. Within this system, being a Muslim has nothing to do with a sincere belief in the Islamic God or adherence to the precepts of Islam, but it's an 'identity' which can be combined with other components.

>liberal elite media's

>implying culture at it's very basis isn't about appropriation

I do admit those ebony women really do it for me. Let's make a trade my brown user, you take the white women, I'll take the brown women and we'll live in harmony, it'll be Greece all over again

>implying I give a shit about the game

I just want that ebony snatch.

also, the game

You can spot the psueds inability figure out how any of this works.

You got caught in a trap, buddy.

Think CNN, NYT the Guardian or one of many online think piece factories. Combination of capitalist hyper individualist values with neurotic identity politics.

They're popular because they're speaking on a specific issue, have large media presence, and genuinely make well produced music.

There is no fucking conspiracy by the spooky convenient-definition "Liberal Elite" to shove Beyonce down your throat, you just don't like other people.

A 'liberal elite' does exist, though not in the /pol/ sense of muh Jew cultural marxist conspiracy, but merely as the product of class self-interest and the prevalence of a certain culture in media circles.

It's territory marking. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, see the rebranding of corporate values as 'empowerment' or whatever.

>A 'liberal elite' does exist

Rich liberal people exist just as much as rich conservative people. You can't throw around definitions so loose to people who act in their own self interest who are rich, while throwing around loose definitions of people who consume media. All your argument is loose, so it's really hard to argue with you.

The fact is what I'm saying. Black women feel the way Beyonce feels, and women relate to Beyonce. Beyonce isn't cynically trying to do this, I think she's the only woman in the industry to have her presence and consistently produced material.

I don't know why you even want to argue about Beyonce and decry the world for some vague conspiratorial "liberalism". It's ridiculous.

I can't control that people are resenting me for something people did to their ancestors.
Most black people have deeper roots in the US than I do, I'm only second generation.

Nice quints

Btw, the culture industry is not your friend. I'm not a /pol/ack or believe in spooky 'traditional values', but you can't deny there's a tendency to moralize the product which is very much a part of the marketing strategy.

>those digits

yes. What a stupid question.

how else would they deweaponize it?
its venom was designed specifically for them, so they made it their own to dilute it.
Stifling or demonizing the word would only make it more powerful when used

Corncob "Tortillas" YeCarthy is a prime example of appropriation in literature, abducting """"""Biblical""""" and Mexican themes for his cheap, corncobby chronicles.

And he ate the tortilla and spat and he looked at the sun and he ate another tortilla and wiped her chin and thanked her.
Ye.
Thank ye.
She spat too.

Fucking hack. If any of you like Corncobs McCarthy just do us all a fucking favour and kill yourself.

If there's a type of "culture industry" I fear more, it's probably country music.

youtube.com/watch?v=dEVX42Pg1xw

please stop shilling your unfunny video you utter embarrassment

It is more pretending to be something you are clearly not. At least to me. Idm foreigner appropriate my culture but a lot of time they do so with emulating the 'theme or ideas' behind it

>a red is trying to act like he is stronger then his betters

Its more when people take visual elements while being ignorant to the meaning behind them. People in here get mad when people have a bookshelf full of unread books, its the same.

quints of truth