Why do people do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010994120
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Nilsson
geni.com/people/Sven-Nilsson/6000000018186616397
johnjamesstanaway.com/ihapere-isabella-stanaway-1847-1887/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why not?

It leaves a pleasant reminder years down the line. Why not? Maybe it's a cultural thing. In my country people would do this in literally every book that was a gift.

>you've always been my Pheobe

Uh oh

Well, the one in OP's photo is kind of overkill, but I lived it when relatives wrote a quick 'happy birthday ' or 'merry christmas' in the front cover. Especially if it was an older relative who has since passed away. It's just a book, if you want a pristine copy buy another one.

>for cheese's sake

i like finding inscriptions in second hand books. i have some 100+ year old books that have them in and when i find them i wonder about the people that wrote them

it's even better to find them in nearly-new books where obviously the recipient either hated the book or the person who gave it to them (or both) and couldn't wait to get rid of it. i rarely write inscriptions in books that i give to people (mainly because i tend to give nice editions of books and don' want to ruin them) but i wonder how i would feel if i found a book in a secondhand shop that i had written in

I like how a book like that has a history and how it reflects that relationship, the hope of the giver, the potential of what the recipient will think about the book and because of it

Definitely appreciate this stuff.

he raped katherine

>writing in a birthday gift book

You might as well let me open it, see the joy in my eyes, then snatch it out of my hands, piss on it and ask me to say 'thank you'.

Fuck this shit, that's what the card is for.

Thankfully my family's just as crazy with this shit as I am so no one's ever done it to me.

Not only did she write all that shit, not only did she make it barely legible, not only is what she actually wrote a cringy pile of garbage, but she switched pens over and over with no rhyme or reason. Fucking why?
This is the most horrific example of writing in a book I've ever seen.

This. I love it when there's writing in there (excepting spoilers).
It's a living piece of someone's personal history.

Jesus. What made you two so precious? This in no way makes the book illegible.

Do you read books or just collect them?

I don't like it when people write all over books, that's why I have a system where I take notes in a separate notebook and not margin-note. It's still nice to have a brief line from myself or someone in the cover page though, it reminds me of the time that has passed.

Holy fuck, the autism in this thread...

An inscribed book is one of the most intimate and thoughtful gifts you can give someone.

You sound like an ungrateful twat. If I was your senpai I wouldn't even send a card.

I have a bible from a WW1 soldier but I can't make out the handwriting

>dont be le phony!

as the conclusion to an extremely phony message

NOW I CAN'T READ THE PUBLISHING HISTORY REEEEEEEE

It's probably very earnest, it's just really cheesy too.

That sounds pretty cool, would you have any pics?

you suck

opening a book and seeing an inscription is primetime cozy, either one to you directly or seeing one that was written to someone else long ago in a second-hand book

>buy used book
>previous owner wrote notes on it

You write in books so that the pleb that's reading it 150 years later knows he's not a unique snowflake. What has been done will be done again.

Because most people don't give personal presents like books away, you fucking heathen.

>check out Hunger by Hamsun from library
>frenetic, poetic and highly evocative stream-of-consciousness passage detailing the increasing hunger of the narrator
>entire thing underlined
>see note in margin
>'he is hungry because he does not eat'

A sobering reflection desu famalami

Bth Birthday?

hexadecimal mate

I know, right? I was M before I read The Catcher in the Rye.

I like it when you get a secondhand book with an inscription. Interesting to see what sort of people read it before you.

A more important question would be why would whoever recieved this ever part with it. Seems kinda rude

> you must keep everything your rapist gives you

That's quickly defeated when you start having to cut most of the pages

this page looks like it says "you do no might"

there is stuff like this scattered through out it

that's a name mate. Gordon Wright (or possibly Wight)

Very cool illustration thanks user.

>there is stuff like this scattered through out it
Post more pls

how do i make notes for a book when i'm uncomfortable with my own thoughts?

.txt file

kek

University library books have depressing annotations sometimes

I have a copy of Pascal's Pensées where anti-theistic refutations are in a lot of the margins and passages seem furiously marked, it's pretty funny. At the least it's useful commentary as a dialectical shortcut.

I have a "Life on Iceland during the Age of Sagas" (free translation) from 1867 signed "Some Name J.H. Kramer to A. Nilsson, Christmas Eve 1868

it's my top cozy book. I picked it up for 50 cents at a charity store. in fact here's a picture i just took.

>Some Name
does that not clearly say "professor"

I just like to take notes, to feel like I'm having a dialogue with the book / the narrative / the concepts I'm reading - it just makes it easier and more natural to formulate my own opinion on the writing.

Plus it's nice to write stuff when you gift a book, to tell something to the recipient and tell them again and again, forever, whenever they pick it up.

>Humourless

Two letters unassigned.

Probably P
first r P(r) doesn't match final r sso(r)
first o Pr(o) doesn't match final o ss(o)r
Letter or smudge after ff indiscernable

Looks like Af (av) which might be old way of saying från.

Af Professor J.H. Kramer
Till
A. Nilsson
Julafton 1868

dude just compare the "r"s in "professor" with those in "Kramer". they're the same. it's just his handwriting style

You both intrigued me and guess what I found
catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/010994120

It's clearly “professor”. You know, many people don't close the “o” when it doesn't link the next stem, and have two glyphs they alternatively use depending on the following character, with the less likely one to bound often ending in final position. I do have this distinction with “r” and “s”. It's an extremely common feature in handwriting.

>You've always been my Phoebe

I would be scared, OP. Holden raped his sister.

When is your Bth birthday?

If you click on Kramer's name there's an 1868 work done with this guy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Nilsson

On The Primitive Inhabitants of Scandinavia. Kramer did the French translation there

Mar liek where is the Bth Birthday

>pay extra for used library books with old and long records of previous loans and writing/notes scribbled all over them
Am I the only one who does this?

>pay extra
just buy a used copy on amazon in poor condition tbo

All those words just to say "believe in yourself and you can do anything!"

Am I not literary because I believe in brevity? Literature is often filled with irrelevant noise like this.

>All those words just to say "believe in yourself and you can do anything!"
My take home is that it's someone in their late teens with an unhealthy interest in someone in their preteens going on early teens. A good chunk of the words are dealing with that.

Maybe it's from her brother but if anything I think that'd be more creepy

>Pay Extra
You mean your library just doesn't get rid of them for cheap?

You're right.

I wonder what it can be then. The fact that he calls himself Professor to (name) without title makes me it's more of a gift to a student? Or maybe that was just the way. Maybe A-something was a nickname for S. Nilsson. Who knows. He completed the translation the same year the gift was received.

I suspect it may be a relative. I think S Nilsson was in his 80s by that point.

He had quite a few siblings and children, but all I could really find was a Carl Nelson (anglicised name, Sven's son) that spoke like 17 languages allegedly and married 3 times, twice to Maoris. Some of his kids were in their 20s by 1868. So I would think Prof Kramer got tge translation gig through a friend related to Sven. Maybe a child of Sven's but also quite likely a grandchild.

geni.com/people/Sven-Nilsson/6000000018186616397

Lots of women relatives there. So if it's a nephew it's one of Nils' kids. Or there's Carl and Nils (and Lars would be too young) out of sons. No A Nilssons tho

fuck my dad does the same and writes my name on this shitty message.
and I cut the page as soon as I wish to sell the book

fucking normies

johnjamesstanaway.com/ihapere-isabella-stanaway-1847-1887/
Charles Nelson was married at 35. I made a mistake it was his wife's dad that married 3 times.

I found this poem in a second hand book and I loved it

KeK. Was it a college library?

Where are you from?

Quel livre est-ce ?

>mispells his own (presumably) daughter's or girlfriend's name
Lolol

I wish someone cared enough about me to do that.

>holding your cover like that

it's erotica, i doesn't really matter