The Bell Jar and the poems of Sylvia Plath

Hey Veeky Forums. I'll be starting my summer reading of with Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I've decided she's a writer I'd like to spend time on studying/researching independently this summer because of how much her work interests me. Any thoughts on Plath? Praise? Criticism? What am I getting into if anything substantial?

she's great
she's shit
she's a woman
now you can delete this shitty shit of a thread

Sylvia Plath is a classic. There isn't much to say aside it's difficult to separate her work from her life. Which isn't necessarily an issue, but some people find it overly sentimental. Considering what she was going through prior to her suicide, it's hard to blame her really

Aside from invalid, sexist comments that you're making simply off the fact she's a woman writer, what else do you have to say? If you don't have anything intelligent or substantial to say don't contribute.

nobody cares of her outside of the usa

i like how you so easily considered his opinion invalid because they didn't fit your own, also added that modern insult which automatically makes any opinion invalid

But what was the argument that user was even replying too?

Yeah, I agree with you. The poetry I've engaged with thus far is deeply sentimental and personal. I'm hoping to find more from her work than just a deeply sentimental and introspective poet. From conversations I've had with people that have taken courses that covered her, I've gotten the impression that there's something more to Plath than just the sentimentality.

they both didn't have any arguments to support their opinions but one of them also called the opinions of another person 'invalid'

An argument is automatically invalid in my mind if it's created with sexist intent. It shouldn't take a genius to identify the illegitimacy of sexism in academic debates and conversations about the merits of given writers or poets.

>An argument is automatically invalid in my mind if it's created with sexist intent
you are heavily brainwashed

Elaborate. I'd really like to hear what you have to say about this.

oh, and to explain why you are heavily brainwashed - an intent of the argument has nothing to do with credibility of the argument, it's ad hominem fallacy on your side

So much for discussing Sylvia Plath.

People read one of her books and maybe a book of her poetry while somehow forgetting almost all of the western canon of poets, and every classic poet.

Like you.

What?

Huh?

>I've decided she's a writer I'd like to spend time on studying/researching independently this summer
>summer
>a time of infinite capacity for studying
>of a good writer
>in the summer
>which is infinite
>an infinite summer

>>Sylvia Plath

"no"

It's pretty clear that the post you're replying to isn't actually saying anything about Plath one way or the other, but just predicting how this thread will go. I'm guessing this is the first Veeky Forums thread you've ever seen, so I'll explain: any discussion of women writers on this board will include trolls who come through just to say "she's a woman so she's shit".

I read Plath in my mid twenties and couldn't shake the feeling I would have enjoyed her writing, were I still in my teens.

She's either going to seem like she's on to something, or she's incredibly juvenile. Plath herself was sort of fascinating, being a manic depressive and all.

that person didn't say she was shit because she was woman, read the thread

It's inevitable, though.

She is great. Bell Jar is one of my favorite novels. I read some of her collected journals earlier this year and they were genuinely very interesting in a kind of terrifying way.

if you're looking for additional materials, one of the best books i've read earlier this year talks about her at various points. The Art of Cruelty by Maggie Nelson.

When writers speak of jews in a negative way i immediately contact the publisher and tell them to remove them.

I just le hate seeing writers from literally every civilized nation make fun of jews up to the mid 20th century. I've burnt a large pile of books I've been assigned in my class

Sexism is nothing compared to antisemitism. You know nothing op xd!!!

Pardon?

she only wrote one book you dumbfuck.
and one of her collected poems was awarded the Pulitzer prize. pull your pants back up, fuckin teen.