Where to start with him?

Where to start with him?

Guide me Veeky Forums

Notes from the underground

Then just don't read anything else by him because that was the high point of his career.

Notes -> C&P -> Brothers K -> Move on

>www.amazon.com
>search "dostoevsky"
>click on one or more of the result
>click "add to cart"
>click "proceed to checkout"

The only reason people recommend Notes first is because it's short. It's nothing like his other work and it's just an over glorified Catcher in the Rye for 20-somethings.
Start with C&P.

Are you so thick that you have no initiative of your own?

Start anywhere except MAYBE the Brothers Karamazov.

Notes and the Double from Penguin, trans. Jessie Coulson

That's why it's good

Hah, I thought we recommended Notes first because The Idiot was a bit too self affirming

His longer books are incredibly tedious even if the payoff might be worth it. I had an easier time reading Ulysses than Crime and Punishment because Ulysses was a lot more engaging.

Why should I start with C&P?

I started with the karamazov brothers

Probably going to read notes next. then the idiot. then c&p

B/c dude it's SO fucking epic the plot twists are like hella crazy lol

By learning Russian.

Not exactly related.
What's the recommended translation of Dead Souls here?

LEARN RUSSIAN MY MAN LMAO

Is the idiot really that bad? I am 100 pages in and there's nothing noteworthy in it so far. It does feel like it's the same person who wrote Notes but it's just shame and regret in every single character dimension that i don't like. All of them do something stupid and then cry and feel self-pity. Does it change?

This guy might be joking but you really should learn Russian if you want to read the works of Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol.

no, that's most of dostoyevsky

But trying to git gud at 3 languages is enough to make me suffer

Which languages are your studying, famalam ?

Leave Karamazov for later. Novel-wise, start with C&P or The Idiot. Demons is also very good but not a good one to start on. Or start with something shorter, such as The Double, The Gambler, or House of the Dead. He also wrote some very good short stories that often get overlooked, including 'White Nights', 'Bobok', 'The Crocodile', 'A Gentle Spirit', and (the best one) 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'.

>English, Japanese, Chinese
I am including my native one because I am a shitty stemfag

What are you?
Are you a Chinese or Japanese?

My first langauge is Chinese but I am actually a Thai who can't speak Thai

I envy you

Do not start with the idiot. Stupid advice

Oh no! I thought i wasn't wasting my time. Anyway thanks for the heads up.

>The Double, The Gambler, or House of the Dead. He also wrote some very good short stories that often get overlooked, including 'White Nights', 'Bobok', 'The Crocodile', 'A Gentle Spirit', and (the best one) 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'.
It's a shame that no one here talks about any of these.

Lol look at all these noobs. Just start with BK senpai, that book is crunk AF fo real senpai.

Are the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations actually bad or is this a meme? I was perfectly satisfied and incredibly moved by their translation of Notes but I haven't sunk my teeth into any of Dosto's novels yet.

Their translations feel very clunky to me. They retain maybe a bit too much of Russian sentence structure that doesn't translate very well into English. It's entirely up to personal taste though, because I guess that sentence structure does add something to the work aside from making it feel a little clunky.

I just finished tbk

illyushas funeral got me good

DEMONS

just open your ass to the enormous amount of names and characters and go.

no lube needed it's the funniest to read(but not the quickest)

>illyushas funeral
yeah :(

C&P -> notes -> demons -> idiot -> tkb -> other works

Read some sort stories before c&p or after demons

C&P or Notes -> whichever of those you didn't read -> The Brothers Karamazov -> The Idiot or Demons -> whichever of those you didn't read -> short stories or The House of the Dead -> whichever of those you didn't read -> his other novels

under rated. Anyone know some other eastern writers who are under appreciated in the west