Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UXMYrjMc6qs
mobile.twitter.com/dahgmahn
twitter.com/dahgmahn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Todays Prompt

Whats your favorite SFF battle sequence/fight scene? And as a writer, how do you handle them in your own work?

One thing, as a narcissist, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards my haters in /sffg/. Seriously, it's like nobody considers them. Especially given how little of a choice they had in being such insufferable worms and their parent's unwillingness to go on with the pregnancy. It's terrible horror shit. They're demeaned, inhuman, fucked up creatures. They break my ego in microfracutres. It's just, awful through and through with no positive elements.

But I don't like how they aren't explored, demented and subhuman trash I have no choice but to be forced to interact with is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's blissful ignorance of my qualities, or just their mindless "memeing" in the present, override my own autonomy and emotions towards myself, making me feel like I don't see in myself the perfect human being that I am anymore.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish you maggots would stop constantly posting "Le epic pregnancy copypasta!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit you are. Or how I'm forced to deign myself by those believing its acceptable to have my stupid ideas criticised, and for some people, and for many people, this appears to be the case. This was even more prevalent in the past because of those fucking dinosaurs lmao.

Severian versus Alzabo
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser against the rat army
The initial hours of the betrayal at Calth
Umm yeah I tend to forget them mostly.

>Whats your favorite SFF battle sequence/fight scene?

Don't know if it's definitively my favorite but the one that comes immediately to mind is the Battle of Dumai's Wells in the Wheel of Time. The gratuitous violence is just so satisfying after everything that has happened.

Thank you user for saving it for me

I'm writing a micro story for . Is lizardmen too much for a science fiction story initially set on earth? I'm talking about the conspiracy theorist kind. Or will my story get rejected because it's basically hate speech against jews?

>Or will my story get rejected because it's basically hate speech against jews?

When the ship is overrun by "miniatures" in The Mote In God's Eye. It kicks what is a pretty dull and procedural story up to that point, into fifth gear. It's great.

A lizard is running for president of America, mate it ain't science fiction at all.

Clinton and Trump are both lizards

I find the battle scenes in the Prince of Nothing series to be particularly good.

Ones that stand out are the Battle of Menggeda in the Warrior-Prophet and Conphas' attack on Joktha in The Thousandfold Thought.

Trump is an amphibian you fucking racist piece of shit

Yeah, Trump is running for president

Trump is a broke sociopath man bitch who can't even stand people mocking his hands.

Yep, we're doing great lads

>Liane sprang forward, planning to clasp her while her attention was distracted. The rapier sprang up by itself, darted forward, pierced the agile body.
>Mazirian uttered a spell of his own, and all the valley was lit streaming darts of fire, lashing in from all directions to split Thrang's blundering body in a thousand places. This was the excellent Prismatic Spray -- many-coloured stabbing lines. Thrang was dead almost at once, purple blood flowing from countless holes where the radiant rain had pieced him.

etc

Concise and simple, I fucking hate the trend of action packed anime scenes.

those hands are too big. make them the size of his cock.

How does a presidential candidate even trigger someone this hard? You an undocumented spic?

You want them even bigger?

How does mocking your hands trigger Trump? Is it because trump is a numalian cucc?

He has them in his pocket for a reason. He's ashamed

Of his humungous dick that threatens to rip open his pants. Yes.

Remember to report pol posts.
The mods ARE banning them.

please, his dick is about the size of a baby mouse. small hands small feet small dick

>/sffg/ - Donald Trump's penis size general

should be a short general

Just ignore them, they want attention and that is why they are doing it. Stop responding to the, even if they scream and shout.

I made one joke and it's a shitpost spree, we will never be safe

What a short and sweet song this is.

youtube.com/watch?v=UXMYrjMc6qs

who /bakker/ here?

Is bakker better than Wolfe?

Bakker and Wolfe are doing two different things

Talking about Dinosaurs and a guy named Bakker

has anyone read Raptor Red lmfao

That's comparing apples to oranges. Both are good, but for different reasons

Wolfe is a way more sophisticated writer overall, but TSA has a greater scope/vision than BotNS in terms of metaphysics.

Also don't get fooled by these two, they are actually very similar writers in that they have the same personality type. I'd expect anyone who liked one to like the other, unless you're autistic and have trouble reading anything new.

One 'fight' scene I enjoyed was the end fight against Orannis in Abhorsen, mainly due to Mogget being credit to team, stepping up, and going, "Nah, bitch".

Obligatory mention for Kaladin vs. Szeth too. Kaladin's arrival, line, the subsequent fight in the Everstorm, and Kaladin completely outclassing him.

Some of the ending skirmishes against the Inhibitors in Absolution Gap were pretty radical, what with all the hyper-advanced technologies employed.

And, of course, Kelsier vs. Inquisitors. I remember God King vs. Everybody Bad at the end of Warbreaker was pretty fucking hype too.

Metaphysics in New Sun are superb, the whole novel is soaked in it.

Most of it is pretty stupid, actually. Catholicism is completely incoherent.

>Catholicism is completely incoherent
Could you expand on this?

It's crap for braindead pseudo-intellectuals. Just look at Veeky Forums on any given day.

Erm, ok, I was sorta expecting you to go a little more in-depth than that.

Is this coming from someone who compares Bakker to Wolfe and doesn't find one to be a juvenile attempt at teh true nature of religion?

>Also don't get fooled by these two, they are actually very similar writers in that they have the same personality type.

They really dont. Bakker is much more forward in his writing and the way he handles his characters and scenarios is very diffetent than Wolfe, more colorful and protracted, wheras Wolfe is almost always keeping things low profile and meditative.

>thinks Bakker hates religion when the big bads in his series are hedonistic God denying atheists

Catholicism is pure contradiction. It's for people who don't really care about truth... or goodness at all really.

TSA is just a straightforward gnostic/hermeticist setting, except with eliminative materialism shoved alongside as a competing philosophy.

You think that's what I'm comparing them on? Their series appeal to the same type of reader (at least they did to me)... since the authors are the same type of people with the same interests.

You said personality type, if thats not what you meant then you should have been more direct and said "subject matter", but even that there is debateable.

What you're saying is equivalent to me saying John Hawkes has the same personality type as Bruno Schulze just because I happened to he drawn to them both...its not really happening.

If you like moralistic/erudite/religious fantasy series, you'll like both of these series. Also the authors are both moralists. What is so hard about this to grasp?

The fact that people who like one don't have a tendency to like the other.

Based on what, bitch?

Based on the fact that people who like one quite often dislike the other a lot.

Based on what, bitch?

>last book of "The Drenai Saga"
>David Gemmel died in 2006

fuck, what do I do guys..

Why are you getting pissy when you arent even bothering to be clear on the terms you're arguing in the first place? You change it up with every post. Do you know the basics of communication?

And again, no they do not have the same personality. Hell many GW fans either dislike or dont even bother with Bakker. You're essentially arguing your own taste as the authors characteristics.

>And again, no they do not have the same personality

You're right, they don't. They have the same personality TYPE, which is a completely different thing. You think every RWA, for example, is alike?

>Hell many GW fans either dislike or dont even bother with Bakker

Yes, people dislike a similar author for... barely any reasons at all. I didn't even like BotNS the first time I read it, and I dropped TSA for over 2 years. I don't care about your circumstantial evidence bitch, I care about theory.

>You're essentially arguing your own taste as the authors characteristics.

No, I'm arguing the authors characteristics.

People who like Wolfe I know either don't bother with Bakker or dislike him.
People who like Bakker don't like Wolfe because he doesn't explain stuff.
This is based on me talking with people and goodreads threads.

I don't care who you've talked to you retard. I've witnessed people who like and dislike both series as well. Doesn't change how similar they are at all!

Your "type" is so poorly defined I'm having trouble taking it seriously, but I guess everyone needs their pet theories.

>No, I'm arguing the authors characteristics.
No you're not. You have an idea of what they write about and consider that the final word on what "type" they are, which is naive at best.

This was great, any other fantasy based on Byzantine court?

Also Styliane Daleina did nothing wrong

It does change the "persona who likes one should like the other" thesis.

There are a few actual Byzantine novels out there, which you might find if you try a lot.
And on the Byzantine note, New Sun was supposed to riff off that aesthetic, but no one seems to get the idea.

Strangely enough, Bakker hits on the Byzantine aesthetic too in many places.

Byzantine themes never riff on Codex Iustinianus to satisfy my legal autism, but Wolfe actually does a great job at the whole law system according to the time/place feel.

mobile.twitter.com/dahgmahn

Non-mobile link: twitter.com/dahgmahn

Has anyone heard of this guy before?

This looks great, will definitely be submitting something.

Though I've never written something as short as 750 words. Will have to get my mental cogs ticking.

>trump posts got deleted
>my posts mocking trump didn't

Thanks buddy, I quite enjoyed this one.

When it comes to writing, is it a good idea to write something taking place in a rather generic fantasy setting in the hope that you can then further develop ideas, or should one strive for more authentic and unique world building from the very beginning?

False dichotomy, those aren't your only two options, and you should write according to the demands of your story, characters, and themes.

Just write a setting that actually interests you

and this

Can someone who works at overlook leak The Great Ordeal please??

Just buy it when it releases senpai

Only 1 month and 1 day to go brother!

I submitted a story to this.

Would anyone on Veeky Forums want to read?

It's more magical realism than fantasy or sci-fi though

>magical realism
So, sci-fantasy?

What's the fantasy story you've always wanted to write user? Be honest now, we're anonymous after all.

I've always had this idea for a story about heroic chariot racers engaged in a mythical struggle against one another that ends with my narrator character taking up the chariot reins for Apollo and the ideal of Life and racing for the life of his King Theseus against his rival racing for Hades and the ideal of Death in a shattered, haunted Hippodrome in the Underworld filled with the spirits of the dead.

I'm already writing it, but its sci-fi.

Science fiction isn't worth anything unless it's based upon spiritual Tradition and mythical archetypes.

Lotta effort for a dubious claim, but maybe one day you can prove it.

>based upon spiritual Tradition and mythical archetypes
Disgusting.

Are you one of those guys who think the Heroes Journey is some mystical formula?

Well lets look at which stories last thousands of years and are subject to intense study and which are disregarded in a few decades.

Explain your points or don't say anything at all.

Absolutely.

Didnt know Dune was written thousands of years ago, anything else professor?

No fiction is worth anything if it dosent touch upon the truth of life, thats all youre really saying. Or attempting to say.

Your mythical structures and models dont mean jack shit if you yourself dont grasp and live out those truths in your daily life one way or another, and that very much will show in your writing.

What truths of life are you referring to user?

I thought you would know Mr Myth Man

Magical realism and science fantasy are different things, user.

>Well lets look at which stories last thousands of years
How are you planning on doing that?

I do know, I was just trying to get a clear picture of what your misconceptions were so I could dismantle them for you.

Since you seem so confused on what I just said, I dont think you do.

That sounds like it should be an anime rather than a book. Fucking cool idea though.

I've had this weird fantasy-western idea for ages that explores industrialization and expansionism, but I'm nowhere near good enough to do it justice yet.

This is true. Slapping Greek names and Hero's Journey over your work will not make it good. The core of any good story or work of art is character, humanity expressing itself.

You really don't need mythical structures to do that, although they can help point to higher virtues (which again, are born from the human spirit, the form is not its content). In the end your work is only as good as your knowledge of yourself and life.

This namedropping of "spiritual tradition" is so vague I'm not even sure if I want to touch it.

I've always found chariot races and the concept of the Hippodrome to be so much more interesting and exciting than gladiator battles and Colosseums. I've never understood why Hippodrome based stories haven't been more popular. Chariot races of the ancient world absolutely fascinate me.

I'm not advocating for mere name dropping, but for deep seated and intuitive understanding of these archetypes.

>Slapping Greek names and Hero's Journey over your work will not make it good. The core of any good story or work of art is character, humanity expressing itself.
This is very true. A lot of the time people mistake the events of the hero's journey for literal descriptions of events, which leads to the metaphorical "road of trials" as a series of challenges to the hero's psyche, becoming the hero fighting a series of robot scorpions or something with no real narrative purpose.

>I'm not advocating for mere name dropping, but for deep seated and intuitive understanding of these archetypes.
You realize that the Hero's Journey was a tool for analyzing myths and not writing them right? Archetypes arise as a result of character, not the other way around.
If you start writing characters as plain archetypes you're not adding anything to the storytelling tradition, you're just imitating it.
There are plenty of better guides to writing than the Hero's Journey.

>but for deep seated and intuitive understanding
pick one. Especially concerning the Greeks. You'll have a real time of it since the culture that gave birth to these types is long gone and the forms themselves have been mixed to hell and back. At best you're working with an echo.

Its gets to a point that you might as well go full Tolkien and create your own mythology if its really that necessary.

Either way, I think we've settled that it's not necessary to make conscious use of these things. If anything it can easily become a crutch.

There are also a great deal of archetypes outside of the archetypal hero of the heroes journey user.

Or you could just learn Koine Greek and study the writings and philosophy of the Greeks in depth.

test