Hey Veeky Forums what are some mythological stories where the hero is judged on virtue alone and not strength/...

Hey Veeky Forums what are some mythological stories where the hero is judged on virtue alone and not strength/ intelligence etc. I'm putting in some tasks for the hero of my novel and I want to make reference to some of these. I'm mostly familiar with Greek heroes

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannappa_Nayanar)?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Antigone? depending on your interpretation

I'm thinking more of specific tasks the hero performs, but thank you for reminding me of Antigone

>Hey Veeky Forums what are some mythological stories where the hero is judged on virtue alone and not strength/ intelligence etc.
aeneid

obedience to the gods i.e. virtue was literally the only positive trait of aeneas

King David is probably the best example of this, but also he's such an important figure that writing with him in mind will probably be cliched

I dunno if this helps, but perhaps read the story of Buddha's enlightenment? Or maybe the story of Kannapan (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannappa_Nayanar)?

What do you understand virtue to be? I myself am of the socratic incline - the good man is the wise man is the virtuous man.

what do you mean by 'virtue'?

Diomedes

By virtue I mean trials not based on ability, but on kindness,courage, wisdom and other such qualities.

Ah... but what is the nature of virtue itself?

What about Orpheus

Diomedes is the prime example of this kind of figure within Greek Mythology. He is defined by his humility, honesty and wisdom in contrast to the massive hubris's and vices of the other Greek Heroes of the Iliad. He is the only Hero able to disregard all petty grudges and personal insults levied towards him and maintain clear focus and discipline throughout the entire war effort.

Baucis and Philemon (Ovid).

that guy who was killed by women for being gay?

Orpheus was a romantic martyr kitty.

Hmmm, but in my opinion, wisdom and virtue are to a degree inseparable. In order for someone to be able to make a moral choice, he must have a knowledge and understanding of the situation, of the choice he's making...otherwise, he's just reacting. Therefore, to be able to act morally/virtuously, one requires a certain degree of wisom.

I'd go even farther and say that virtue IS wisdom - i.e. knowing and understanding what's the best (most good) course of action, and taking it.

strength and intelligence are virtues

>mfw people on Veeky Forums do not know what virtue is

How is it that I, most likely the most dissolute and corrupt among you understands virtue and yet you well to do yuppie faggots cannot?

>hey guise i want to make a reference to something i dont know about so it looks like i know something thanks guys

OP here. Thanks for the responses guys.

>Not even Ulysses was mentionned

It has been accepted that Heracles was the most virtuous hero and I totally agree.

Don't troll the people who haven't read myths.

Sir Gawain and his mythological successor, Galahad.

You are the most capable of cmprehend it virtue because you most of us all have lacked it.