Was Mr. Dubois wrong about literally anything?

Was Mr. Dubois wrong about literally anything?

Starship Troopers general I suppose

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs

This is the best sci-fi if there was a sticky for sci fi this would be the pic. Fuck he did a good job on this book for its day.

The novel is a fascist piece of shit.

Cap yourself

Agreed, absolutely excellent. How are his other works?

Will we ever stop having people who don't know what words mean calling this book fascist?

These people would read one of his other books and declare him a free love hippy.

Heinlein was an anarchist, you clod.

Actually haven't read any others backlog is a mile long already. Would like to but.

If anyone else has read any could you share thoughts on his other works

Shitty book

Anyone else find it hard to understand and picture what was going on in the battle scenes?

what battle scenes lol

you mean the two sentences a the end?

Former lover of sci-fi who lost his passion for the genre here, will this book rekindle the flames of my heart for science-fiction?

no it'll bore you to death will military slogans from the cold war spat out by dull drill sergeant stereotypes.

No.

mainly the whole first chapter and when they fight the bugs later on by blowing up their holes or whatever they did

Tunnel in the Sky was good. Read it right after Starship Troopers.

Kinda Lord of the Flies-y.

I'm agree with fascism and I find the theme of this book to be fascist. What are you talking about?

Yes it's nothing like the movie but in a good way. This or 2001 would be good or maybe enders game

I know this stuff. I'm writer.

>I'm agree with fascism and I find the theme of this book to be fascist

???

Samefagging spastic.

Why even post?

The sci-fi side is pretty good. The power armour sounds amazing, the best I've seen described in any medium. However the themes relating to civic virtue, duty, military service, enfranchisement, and justice are by far the best thing about it.

Absolutely. All of what this person says is true

Relationship of book to film:
Because the movie originated from an unrelated script, with names and superficial details from the novel being added retroactively, there are many differences between the original book and the film. While the original novel has been accused of promoting militarism, fascism and military rule,[10][11] the film satirizes these concepts by featuring news reports that are intensely fascist, xenophobic, and propagandistic. Verhoeven stated in 1997 that the first scene of the film—an advertisement for the mobile infantry—was adapted shot-for-shot from a scene in Leni Riefenstahl’s Triumph of the Will (1935), specifically an outdoor rally for the Reichsarbeitsdienst. Other references to Nazism in the movie include the Gestapo-like uniforms of commanding officers, Albert Speer-style architecture and the propagandistic dialogue. (Violence is the supreme authority!)[12]...In a 2014 interview on The Adam Carolla Show, actor Michael Ironside, who read the book as a youth, said he asked Verhoeven, who grew up in Nazi-occupied Netherlands, "Why are you doing a right-wing fascist movie?" Verhoeven replied, "If I tell the world that a right-wing, fascist way of doing things doesn't work, no one will listen to me. So I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships, but it's only good for killing fucking bugs!"[13]

Those themes only work when you have an "other", be it Jews, Communists, or 15 foot tall space locusts.

Stranger in a Strange Land was excellent imo, but very different from Starship Troopers.

We will always have an 'other'.