Goddamn it, Veeky Forums

Goddamn it, Veeky Forums.

I like microhumor in my books—little asides and pithy descriptions that motivate me to follow the author on his masturbatory PoMo journey. White Noise does this. Infinite Jest does this. Portnoy's Complaint does this. Taipei does this. Even Book of Numbers does this, as it tries to squeeze blood from poorly vascularized sediment.

But when you guys recommend "humorous novels", you recommend...Gulliver's Travels? A Modest Proposal? A Dirty Job?

Fucking really? Are you still in grade school? Do you guys actually read this shit?

>reading books purely for humor

That chart is only a bait for plebes.

you know, it may be written "Veeky Forums's guide" but this is still the product of a single user who somehow convinced himself his opinion was a fair representation of what this board thinks, and based upon the false premise there's something like coherent, homogeneous "lit tastes" he covered himself under this shallow umbrella-word.

Fair, but in that case I wish there were a better vocabulary of humor. Terms like "dry humor" are broad enough to include everything north of Family Guy.

(recommendations appreciated)

Try asking Reddit, I heard they love LOLSORANDOMHUMOR books.

>I dont get it, so is not funny

>it's not funny so it's not
>fucking
>funny

>humor is objective
>believes in the subject/object dichotomy
>still subscribes to these spooks

talk about humor.

also, since i'm having a laugh at your expense, read some Saki.

>little asides

Have you read Tristram Shandy? The whole damn thing is an aside!

>taipei

time to finally do the world a service for the first time in your """""life"""""" and commit suicide

> The Trial

I personally found The Trial to be dark and disturbing - Joseph K's helplessness and everyone's reluctance to actually help him rather than manipulate him is pretty scary stuff imo. Who reads The Trial and thinks "this is hilarious"? Genuinely curious as I want to understand the humour behind it.

Can one of you senpaitachi help me? I'm trying to remember this book I read this book a few years ago and there was a description of the etymology of the word "scoundrel" in Dutch. The author included this vignette of Boer commandos dressed in their Sunday clothes, sniping helpless British soldiers and muttering the word "scoundrels" under their breath while chambering a fresh round.

I laughed so hard at that description, something about it just tickled me the right way.

>Who reads The Trial and thinks "this is hilarious"?
Kafka did.

True, but I'd think of him as an exception to the rule since he wrote it. I don't know, maybe I'm foolish and don't appreciate his works to the fullest extent, but I tend to find Kafka brilliant at creating discomfort and helplessness rather than humour.

its so dark and disturbing that it's borderline hilarious.

plus how could you not chuckle at that one scene where the goons get whipped

Y'see, as absurd as that was, I couldn't help but feel downright uncomfortable, it felt like a peculiar image from a Lynch film.

That's odd OP, someone forgot to add Don Quixote to that list

there are no overtly funny novels, some with funny themes and a few possibly laugh out loud moments, but it's hard to find a comedic book that isn't fucking horrible, i mean, dirty job, in that fucking book was absofuckinlutely trash. every fucking word of it was just trash.

Lots of folks find Lynch's movies fucking hilarious

This, and most charts from older Veeky Forums, were made together in a thread that asked for many different user's suggestions. It's not just a single user's recs, but the recs of at least a handful of anons over a few days.

Still not that representative, seeing as it was years ago and there's no way of knowing how many people contributed. But all images on the wiki are supposed to be added to by anyone who wants. They go through different versions as users through the years add to them.

That was how it was supposed to be, at least. Only a few charts actually have people wanting to improve them, rather than complaining.