So was Meursault always an absurdist?

So was Meursault always an absurdist?
Or did he become absurdist when he knew he was going to get executed?

Nihilist-turned-absudist

Yes, you can tell by the whole arab part.

idk famm but 2bh it was pretty good nigga

the first sentence of the fucking book is your answer

yeah he was always an absurdist.. look at how he acted at the funeral

MODS

he was an autist

he was a qt

What?
Why was this deleted? It had OPs answer

I think the character was a literal autist. Of course his autism is used as a vehicle for absurdism.

Most french people are

suck a dick

Why would he, he's not French.

It's fairly obvious that he transitions from nihilism to absurdism at the novellas conclusion. All the chapters that precede his argument with the priest show him as completely apathetic. Even when he murders the arab, he does it not out of hatred but to get out of the sun. (not because of emotion but physical anguish).

He ultimate finds meaning in his own death. when he laments upon the stars and considers the ambivalence of the cosmos, he wishes that the crowds greet him with cries of hatred. He finds meaning in his vilification and his death or what it represents. This is the creation of meaning in a meaningless universe - the crux of the absurdist ideology

>All the chapters that precede his argument with the priest show him as completely apathetic.

That's bullshit.
Why do you think he collapses in the bus? Why do you think he avoids any conversation with the soldier? Why is he so confused about the time his mother died? Because his mother died. His grief is different but he's definitely left in a state of existential confusion shortly after her death.
Did you read the part where he's at the beach with Marie? Did you notice how his prose became much more poetic and evocative?

He's socially retarded, almost autistic, but he's not apathetic. His difference makes him a "stranger".

My read is that Merusault realises the universe is to him, what he is to the crowd: an un-understandable, seemingly silent source of pain and emotion. And in the companionship, he ceases to be a alone, dies an absurd stranger, feeling fully for the first time the deep meaning of that baying crowd who wants him dead.

fucking this

Meursault just has schizoid personality disorder.

Oh this is the first explanation of the character that really puts things together for me. Thanks user.

Neither. Those categories taint the whole story. I only read stranger and myth of sisyphus but if I remember correctly, Camus didn't use the term absurdist once (not sure about absurdism).
Is there any other use for philosophy than ruining good novels?

baittt