Spanish Books

Hey, I just finished Duolingo's spanish course and was thinking of finally starting to read in Spanish, what would be some good Spanish books? Is "el amor en los tiempos del colera" a good read?

Donkey Hoe Tay

Oh yeah, forget about Don Quixote, thanks for the reminder I'll add that to the list.

If you're only experience with Spanish is the Duolingo course, do not start with Don Quixote lol.

What book do you suggest starting with then?

and don't' fucking say the greeks

Platero y yo
Ficciones
pedro paramo
pedro y el capitan
memoria de mis putas tristes
los detectives salvajes

And added, thank you very much.

Carlos Fuentes - Aura
A short novella, the vocabulary is not too difficult

Suerte, amigo.

Dos mil seiscientos sesenta y seis.

no sea mamon

cien años de soledad
la ciudad y los perros
bodas de sangre
ficciones
don juan tenorio
fuente ovejuna
azul...
los heraldos negros
rayuela
la muerte de artemio cruz
veinte poemas de amor y una cancion desesperada
garcilaso de la vega's obras completas
la vida es sueño
piedra de sol

Borges, bro.

Borges
García Márquez
Vargas Llosa
Cortázar
Mario Benedetti
Carlos Ruiz Zafón (personal favorite )
Neruda
Sor Juana (blue pill lit)
Lorca
Don't waste your time with Cervantes. Two great books to start with: El amor en los tiempos del cólera, by Márquez and el aleph by Borges.

what are some particularly good spanish short stories?

Definitely not marquez, his sentences trail on and one of the hardest things for me learning spanish was long sentences.

>Don't waste your time with Cervantes.
He should eventually read him, the boss of Spanish lit.

Pic related is an anthology of short short stories (most are not even a page long) from literary traditions across the globe, translated and curated by Borges and Bioy Casares. You will find legends, parables, jokes, fables as well as stories from masters of the medium such as Kafka, Borges himself and O Henry.

I think they are specially interesting for beginners because they are very short and to the point, but still hold a lot of literary value. I have used them with my students with a reasonable amount of success.

I would also advise investing on an ereader if you are serious about it, definitions and translations available with one touch are invaluable if you are learning another language.

I will also add that I find Cortázar's short stories a lot more enjoyable than Borges'. You can proceed to lynch me, Veeky Forums

Bro, i read memoria de mis putas tristes all day friday. What a fucking novel. Gabo had a way to romanticize even a near death existential crisis that makes you empathize with a man trying to get it in with a teenager.

Do not pay attention to this guy. Most of these novels require a solid understanding of castillian that duolingo ceratinly did not give you.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll start working through these tonight!

the only "easy" read in spanish is Cien años de soledad and, arguably, Ficciones.

>just finished a duolingo course
>borges is an easy read, brah, then try reading some don quixote or some entry-level lit like that

Juan Rulfo- Pedron Páramo, El llano en Llamas.
Juan José Arreóla- Confabulario, Bestiario.
José Revueltas- El Apando, El Luto Humano
Alfonso Reyes- Cuentos y poesía.
Salvador Elizondo- Farabeuf, Hipogeo Secreto.
Carlos Pellicer- Hora de Junio.

i read faust after finished the german one.
git gud, sperg.

Is the greentext mocking me, or are you retelling what you did?

I don't know much about spanish literature so I'm just putting my faith in you guys.

Rosario Tijeras
Que vaya la música
Anything by Santiago Gamboa
La esclava instruída, J.M.Álvarea

>borges is an easy read, brah
Well, he is.

OP, I've studied spanish most of my life and had success reading a translation of a story I already know. (in my case, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or ). Might help you ease into it, as you'll find there's probably still a few words per paragraph that you've never seen before when reading Spanish.

>Don't waste your time with Cervantes
How pleb can you be?

Read "El espejo enterrado" if you like history.

This too

Carlos Fuentes is great tier