The Waves

How do you rate this book Veeky Forums? How do you think it stacks up to Ulysses (which i see it compared to)?

I thought it was interesting. Bernard got to be a whiny bitch but Woolf nailed the pains of nostalgia and getting old, as well as ones inner thoughts. Very poetic. Wasnt much a fan of the waves metaphor but understood its usage.

Also: Was Percival adolescence? When he died it all went to shit for everyone and they still yearn for the time he was round.

It's a masterpiece.

>How do you think it stacks up to Ulysses (which i see it compared to)?

What's the point of comparing tobehonest

I just see people compare them as two modernist (or maybe pomo?) stream of conscious classics. Admittedly Joyces was on a grand scale but perhaps Waves had, overall, a little more heart.

>pomo?

no

I dont know about lit "genres" desu bro. Just see buzz words thrown around

>still using buzzwords

>frogposter

Please leave.

I read it when I was 12. Didn't finish it, and to this day I regret it. Should I give it another go?

Yes.

>never did I read such tosh
James Joyce straight blown the fuck out

>tfw no SAVAGE literary gf

I keep meaning to read the journals and diaries of writers, just to see what their thoughts on other writers were.

>Wasnt much a fan of the waves metaphor
Either. Didn't seem earnest, but good poetics.

> How do you think it stacks up to Ulysses
Don't see why it has to, besides her having written it a dozen years later after realising her petty jealousy wouldn't get anywhere

Easily my favorite book I've ever read. Blows Ulysses out of the water.

Woolf was so bitter about Joyce, you can tell she was salty that he was simply a better writer than her.

>he was simply a better writer than her.
explain

he was a man, she was a women

you do the math

4/10

It can't be that good, surely? Is it anything like To The Lighthouse? Because that shit was stale.

>To the Lighthouse
>stale

wew, plebbing it up

That's why I'm asking if it compares you dumb cunt.

Joyce's developed style is far too experimental to measure against Woolf's and his body of work isn't large enough to make a valid assessment.
His "normal" works, a whopping 2 novels, don't touch her work in terms of literary merit, and his more masterful and experimental works, all both of them, are incomparable with her work. One is allusory and derivative, the other is borderline unreadable.
Joyce is overplayed on this board, and Woolf underappreciated. And this is the reason why.

Woolf was obviously intimidated by Joyce, but that doesn't make him better.

This is weird, I could have sworn I read an essay of her recently that actually complemented one of his works, suggesting his writing is a step in the right direction, or somesuch. Is it possible she just disliked one of his books?

>Joyce is overplayed on this board, and Woolf underappreciated
>Woolf underappreciated
>And this is the reason why.

wut
this board is fond of woolf, you are not a lone white knight defending your m'lady against the forces of darkness here

Were't Joyce and Woolf close in age?

Did they ever

fuck?

she likes joyce. she criticized certain aspects of ulysses but overall she admired/respected joyce's work

You don't speak for Veeky Forums you jack off.

Woolf is underappreciated. You always hear Joyce, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Faulkner being compared for their styles, but Woolf not so much. And why not?

Probably not. Woolf preferred beta males and androgynous women.

> Joyce, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Faulkner

are you retarded?

I think Joyce is mainly considered better because of Ulysses which is way more ambitious than anything Woolf wrote but doesn't require an English PHD to read (like finnegans wake). Woolf and Joyce are both amazing writers and both are highly appreciated on this board, from what I've sen.

I see Woolf discussed more than Fitzgerald or Hemingway, which is fine with me because I think she is better than either of them.

Woolf is much better appreciated than Fitzgrald here, and probably no less often discussed than Faulkner. And more than half our memesters here despise Hemingway.

I finished Mrs Dalloway few days ago and is reading To the Lighthouse. I'm liking them so far, though I occasionally couldn't get the themes either because of my shitty English or is just too pleb.

Would you recommend me The Waves? How challenging is it in comparison to the two books I mentioned and Ulysses?

It's Woolf's most challenging of all I've read, not especially in terms of prose of vocabulary (though I wouldn't have noticed that) but much more complex than Dalloway or To the Lighthouse when it comes to connecting things together.

Not comparable to Ulysses, though as far as basic comprehension is concerned it would be nowhere near as difficult as Ulysses for a non-native speaker

>Not comparable to Ulysses, though as far as basic comprehension is concerned it would be nowhere near as difficult as Ulysses for a non-native speaker
Thanks. That's a relief. I will give it a try.

The first and only Woolf book i read desu not a hard book

Definitely one of my favourite books of all time.

I haven't read Ulysses yet, but I wouldn't see the point in comparing them.

>'I was running,' said Jinny, 'after breakfast. I saw leaves moving in a hole in the hedge. I thought "That is a bird on its nest." I parted them and looked; but there was no bird on a nest. The leaves went on moving. I was frightened. I ran past Susan, past Rhoda, and Neville and Bernard in the tool-house talking. I cried as I ran, faster and faster. What moved the leaves? What moves my heart, my legs? And I dashed in here, seeing you green as a bush, like a branch, very still, Louis, with your eyes fixed. "Is he dead?" I thought, and kissed you, with my heart jumping under my pink frock like the leaves, which go on moving, though there is nothing to move them. Now I smell geraniums; I smell earth mould. I dance. I ripple. I am thrown over you like a net of light. I lie quivering flung over you.'

What is it with you jack off pseuds and your muh anecdotal evidence fallacy? If you bothered to do a simple search in the archive, each of those men are mentioned at least 2x more often than Woolf, and in Hemingway's case, 3x more often.

I do think that Woolf's standing here is better deserved than Fitzgerald's and Hemingway's.

i actually think jimmy 'fart fetish' joyce has hemingway beat when it comes presence on Veeky Forums
bill 'nabokov calls me corncobby' faulkner is probably close too.

>to the lighthouse
>stale

im not even going to respond to that

Claim your Waves waifu

Nice response retard.

i think it's the most pleasurable book i've ever read. it flowed so naturally for me and felt so beautiful and lucid