Other urls found in this thread:

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
youtube.com/watch?v=ii6lk9QcW_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8PI13MT9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"no"

>Marx was wrong (and a cunt)

pynchon really is retarded though

either that or he actually is a team of CIA writers, and their brainwashing methods seem to be working desu

I read for my own enjoyment and not to feel superior to people I don't know

this is a really good thread

This is pointless. Veeky Forums is ALWAYS pissed off.

You aren't even trying, try

>Lenin > Marx

a pleb book that entertains million has done more good than a patrish book that entertains hundred and is therefore better

I browse /v/

That's my secret, Captain

Pynchon got me to start smoking weed tbqh

GoT and The first Law are alright

>"I go on /mu/"
You too

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

>Auden, W. H. Not familiar with his poetry, but his translations contain deplorable blunders.
Every time

Ayn Rand actually makes a lot of sense in atlas shrugged.

Anti-intellectualism is a hack worldview only preached by charlatans!

Infinite Jest is an improvement on Ulysses.

wow yes, as a typical Veeky Forums user I am so pissed off by this statement.

you sir have a bright future in public relations

My favorite novels are Pride and Prejudice, Things Fall Apart, and The Fault in Our Stars.

It was the most fedora thing I could think of

I really feel like Name of the Wind is underappreciated, the descriptions are so vivid and beautiful, its almost more like poetry than prose.

someone post my video review of bloodmeme

youtube.com/watch?v=ii6lk9QcW_Q

this is probably the best way to organize any shelf desu~

Literature is an irrelevant and dying medium, with video games soon to be the premiere medium for telling innovative stories.

Who else loved the new John Green novel? The man is brilliant, and so humble.

The film and game industries will crash under the rapid expanse of illicit file sharing, but god save the public libraries.

hi guys, I like
>insert literally anything you've heard of

spot on

anything to do with utilitarianism pisses me off tbdesu

be more creative

>Read this as Name of the Rose and couldn't work out why it was supposed to trigger anyone

>Pause, reread

>Now I see.

Yep, lost. Who "sort by genre/alphabetize by author/arrange author's works in publication order" masterrace?

Factually incorrect; the cost of video game development makes it an even more difficult medium to produce ambitious and groundbreaking ideological work than in film. It takes millions of dollars and investors need guaranteed returns, so they stick with cliche bs. All literature takes is a single insane fucker with enough food and water to sustain and transcribe his hallucinations

Lenin's prose is better than Marx's; why would that piss Veeky Forums off?
>ITT: We try our best to piss off Veeky Forums
I know exactly what good prose is, and, read for it. The chewy variety is the best.

TV, movies and videogames make books obsolete

Analytic is the best philosophy

oooh oooh. Bertrand Russell has the best history of philosophy.

"Oh, yes, Schopenhauer: so you've read Kant?"

>genre
??????

Realist, Speculative, Historical, Philosophical, all sorts (sometimes with subgroups). Otherwise it'd just be a straight fiction/nonfiction divide.

>genre
This is dumb unless you mean like SF, Mystery and such and even then you'll run across multiple pieces of lit that cross genre and then it is just a pointlessly arbitrary sorting of books.

>a pleb book that entertains million has done more good than a patrish book that entertains hundred and is therefore better
REEEEEEEEEe

DFW is a hack.

corncob

tortillas

yecarthy

If anything it's the other way aronud: with either the ever increasing costs of AAA productions or the subsequent implosion of copyright and the ideology of branding marketability, the plain ideas literature specializes in are more likely to become what more complex art forms build up from. Once everyone is a thief, the richest man is he that has the least to be stolen from; and if you control the meme, you control the stream.

I eat jew food ironically

>Housman, A. E. A favorite between the ages of 20 and 40, and thereafter.
>Camus, Albert. Dislike him. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.
>Pound, Ezra. Definitely second-rate. A total fake. A venerable fraud.

I like Nabokov's opinions—not all of them, but some of them, certainly.

both of you win

Veeky Forums is the smartest board on Veeky Forums, or most professional at least. this place has the least shitposts, and the shitposts are usually hilarious or backed up with actual arguments.

this upset me way more than i expected it to.

Veeky Forums has the funniest humour threads, because our jokes are intelligent and cultured

this is just the truth.

and it's sad how untrue this is.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8PI13MT9s

>and it's sad how untrue this is.

it's not?

dont ruin my dream user.

>Faulkner, William. Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles.

...is this where the meme comes from

>Nietzsche just ripped off Stirner

Or even better

>le you are just an adherent to slave morality

DUDE

you are spooked

What are you quoting?

GOD. For a second I thought I had seen an Assassin's Creed book. Anyway, this is pleasing to see, even though I'd be anxious for not having my books in a proper order.

I AM FROM /POL/ TELL ME ABOUT JULIUS EVOLA

But that's Veeky Forums's consensus.

Spongebob and The Simpsons are certainly Pynchonesque.

nice fullquote

You managed to trigger them even though they knew exactly what you were up to. This is clearly the winner.

>this place has the least shitposts
c'mon now

What the hell. Is the sole purpose for one to display they have books? Why not just stack them...
that being said, shes a qt3.14

English is the best language.

laughed. went back to reading.

reading "for fun" is for ugly compensating losers

I thought the consensus was Witty was the most qt philosopher not best.

Nabokov seems like such a cock

you haven't even heard his opinions on himself yet

What are they
Because he sounds like an edgy teenager and I haven't even read anything by him yet

plato is boring

non-troll

Everybody who wrote before WWI is boring and unrelatable. My favorite authors are Salinger, Murakami, Pynchon, and Nabokov.

I like to map out the plot in the margins while I read.

The problem is that he's not like an edgyteenager; he's an absolute edgemaster and has full justification for it. He's written a few introductions to his books, and the ones where he is reviewing his translation are pure gold. At the start of Glory, where he is explaining the discrepancy between the English and Russian title, he argues that he's written the best prose for both languages because he has to express his genius in different ways as a translator of Nabokov and a writer of Nabokov's original intentions. And it's beautiful, and convincing. He's one of the few authors where the air of arrogance is bolstered in almost equal measure with completely founded confidence; anyone else translating Nabokov would be ripped to shreds worse than he does his humble English translation of himself, where he blames the untranslatables of language more than himself.
Did you draw the beetle too?

I do like to doodle. It helps me to think.

>read first part of Lolita
>Vanessa van ness
>Humbert humbert
Was he also autistic

kek, I figured that was because Humbert is writing something he's aware might be a pulp novel not the story for all time he hopes.

Harry Potter is a fun, imaginative story meant for young people, and an excellent way for children to develop a life-long love of reading.

i feel sorry for you

>imaginative
Eh, not really. Rather bankrupt in that regard. Pretty upsetting when you go back to look.

I organize my shelf by authors, but not in alphabetical order, but by how many books I own of each one.

How's your girlfriend, Veeky Forums?

>bankrupt

Do you honestly believe that? I know she's not some transcendent world-building prodigy, as her fanboys/girls seem to think she is. But some of her stuff is pretty damn creative. I mean, take quidditch for instance. What prior fantasy writing has anything remotely like quidditch?

SHUT UP MOM WE'RE NOT FUCKING STRAIGHT

>not just flinging them all onto a big pile like the alpha you are

I'm not triggered though, anthing but.

WEED (Also nice triple)

kafka is overrated.