Is there any book that can help with severe depression?

Is there any book that can help with severe depression?

You don't have severe depression or depression altogether. If you, by some anomaly, do, post a prescription for meds. Oh wait, you are in USA, you don't actually need to have depression, just to be sad - and you are really sad, posting THIS FUCKING THREAD FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME NIGGER KILL YOURSELF

Book of Disquite or Notes whatever fuck off

Been a neet for 4 years and spend most of my time laying in bed staring at the ceiling. What do I have? I don't feel profound sadness or anything at all

Being worthless is not a condition, though. It's a consequence of your actions

Why do I act the way I do and how do I start feeling again?

Mindfulness meditation

Sure, there are several. But first, go out, get hammered, smoke a pack of cigarettes, hit on girls who you'd be scared of sober, puke your guts out, tell the new drinking buddies you made how much you love them, go home, wake up with a nasty hangover, and laugh at how amazing your night was.

While you're hungover, I would recommend reading Catch-22 or some Bukowski. Shit, the reading isn't even needed. A fun night out usually cures depression.

Or you could just take a long run. That helps too.

FeelIng Good - David Burns

Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

Pretty entry level but this stuff has helped me along.

"spend most of my time laying in bed staring at the ceiling"
"how do I start feeling again?"

Start by not doing what you're already doing you fucking caveman.

Jesus, gal, you seem triggered. Where did I imply that mental conditions are not a thing? Depression totally exists. It's just that books are fairly useless at treating it, because chemicals are chemicals.

Books can help with external causes of depression, sure, but OP didn't provide them.

HOW
THE
FUCK
Do you know if that guy has depression or not?
Please fucking tell us because it seems that you have patented a way to diagnose health conditions OVER A FUCKING TEXT POST YOU FUCKING SUMMER AND YES, I KNOW, PSYCHIATRY IS A MEME
KNOW WHAT'S A FUCKING MEME SQUARED? IT'S YOUR FUCKING SUMMER REDDIT ASS

The guy literally asks "hey what are some books that can help with severe depression"
and from this you have concluded that no, he doesn't actually have depression and is a phony OR if he does HE BETTER fucking post some proof because it is of DIVINE IMPORTANCE that it doesn't go unpunished when somebody tries to GO BEHIND YOUR BACK and literally actually believe that he could ever try to claim over the internet WITHOUT SHOWING ANY CONCRETE EVIDENCE that he has an illness, and worse yet, THEN ALSO STRAWMAN by asking for books when in reality he must have had wanted compassion for his imagined depression!!1!!1!11

stay pleb rettit

you didn't say that, you implied that he's overblowing it
sorry not sorry

otherwise you have serious problems with your autism which prevent you from communicating your point

Yeah, he is either dumb enough to realise that books are of no help or is overblowing it

Thinking that literature can cure your condition is about the same level of imbecility as believing in positive vibes and self-affirmation

this pendulum of cancer is spectacular - edgy /pol/ kids finally leave, tumblrgirlz come in

you don't understand what depression does to a person at all

>tfw wee bit suicidal
>tried to choke myself out
>have some sort of asphyxiation related seizure
that was scary

Yeah bro just read The Castle then Notes from Underground. Will fix you right up :^)

To be fair laying in bed all day and not doing anything is a pretty solid symptom of severe depression.

OP if you're actually depressed try to get an Rx for wellbutrin. Its an atypical antidepressant that won't have as many side effects. It can also boost cognitive function (it's been tried as ADHD medication).

Read 'letters to a young poet' and then 'Krapp's Last Tape'

the Zhuangzi has been the most helpful for me

Just b Urself by A Normie

I recommend The Complete Manual of Suicide.

aww fuck I'm late to the /pol/ party!

ahh see what I did there? hahahahahahafuckyou

It's really not, it's a thing people only ever say on the internet. Every person I've ever met with severe depression (I've spent a while in the system) still moves around their house, and does shit, they don't just lie there motionless all day in their bed, that's called catatonia, and it's much, much more serious than depression.

People say that shit to sound more severe than they actually are generally, and the fact he's been regularly making these threads says at least he's lying in bed on his phone or computer, which isn't just staring at the roof.

Also, people get bed sores if they're just in bed all day, do you ever hear these people complain about getting those? Or even shit like deep vein thrombosis?

>It's really not, it's a thing people only ever say on the internet. Every person I've ever met with severe depression (I've spent a while in the system) still moves around their house, and does shit, they don't just lie there motionless all day in their bed, that's called catatonia, and it's much, much more serious than depression.
jesus fucking christ

>People say that shit to sound more severe than they actually are generally
yes, they do. that is the point. but it's done from the intentions of a writer, not a fucking con man.
how does it affect you personally whether he's really just lying in bed, or if he moves around the room? how was his trickery malicious to you in this example?
i mean, what does it fucking change, right?

You guys know what we could really benefit from, the entirety of Veeky Forums?
If there's someone on Veeky Forums who like actually professionally works with kids with special needs, autism for instance, and if he could maybe organize a short week long course with practical exercises for us to learn how to fucking communicate more similarly to non-autistic people. I think it would boost the quality of the board very much, especially if we humored ourselves and took it as an assumption that we are all autistic whether we know it or not.

what does Veeky Forums think?

all i see when i look at this picture is DFW

is anyone else getting this illusion?

>jesus fucking christ

Good response, I like how you actually refuted what I said.

>how does it affect you personally whether he's really just lying in bed, or if he moves around the room?

Why are you so angry about this? He's playing up how unwell he is online while asking for advice, which makes it impossible to give him any accurate answers. This isn't tumblr, where you have to sound worse than everyone else, or at least it shouldn't be.

>but it's done from the intentions of a writer, not a fucking con man.
>implying factitious disorder isn't a thing, and that malingering is the only possible reason someone could lie about an illness
>implying I ever claimed he was a conman and not just another attention seeking retard who derives their entire identity from going "looking how depressed I am", like a teenage girl from tumblr

>If there's someone on Veeky Forums who like actually professionally works with kids with special needs, autism for instance, and if he could maybe organize a short week long course with practical exercises for us to learn how to fucking communicate more similarly to non-autistic people. I think it would boost the quality of the board very much, especially if we humored ourselves and took it as an assumption that we are all autistic whether we know it or not.

>what does Veeky Forums think?

I think you should fuck off and stop being a retard, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the way I expressed what I said. You personally not agreeing with it doesn't make me autistic.

I also find it ironic that you post this, and then act like "jesus fucking christ" is somehow the height of communication.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea - I wouldn't want to offend any mentaly ill person with my crude language, they have suffered enough. Girl, can you teach me a few basics?

Not that my anecdote holds any legitimate weight, but I've had a few catatonic-like episodes of depression. Literally felt like I was paralyzed. The first time it took the effort of my entire being just to move my arm, and I only did it to see if I still could, because I could've sworn I had been tranquilized or something. Took me over an hour to sit upright in bed and then I just stared at the floor for another hour before going back to sleep. Finally went to see a psychiatrist after that.

It sounds like bullshit, and I honestly would have called shenanigans on stories like this if I hadn't experienced it myself, but it is real. There's varying severity of depression, so the people you're referring to probably just haven't hit that low point yet. Or alternatively, they're already on meds. Wellbutrin is the only reason I can get out of bed in the morning.

Exercise, eat healthy, get a dog, socialize, and spend at least an hour outside each day. Find something you're interested in, be it a lifestyle or a job or whatever, and set small goals each day toward achieving that thing. If possible, consult a qualified therapist to help fix your thinking patterns or whatever and maybe to prescribe you antidepressants. This shit sounds trivial but I guarantee any of these will help you more than reading some edgelord book or meditating. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who say existentialism/zen/broicism/whatever felt more the effects of the accomplishment of having read a book than the system of thought introduced in them.

>There's varying severity of depression, so the people you're referring to probably just haven't hit that low point yet

Some of these people I met in hospital, mate, it's safe to say they'd have hit that point at that level of severity. And one or two low points similar to catatonia definitely does happen in severe depression, my point is that long term just lying in bed all day not doing anything isn't symptomatic of depression at all, and if you're that bad, you need to be in hospital, not asking for books on Veeky Forums, because people like that can't care for themselves at all. It's more symptomatic of types of schizophrenia than depression honestly. Honestly, people at that low point, or who regularly experience that (as in more on than off) probably aren't capable of reading very much, let alone feeling motivated to fixing it.

This dude is right, too. Far to often here I see people saying they're NEET and so depressed about it, and want meds or some magic book to cure them.

What they're experiencing is completely normal, if you spend all day doing nothing of note, just fucking around constantly with no goals and never achieving anything at all, not even minor shit, you're going to feel depressed, anyone would.

The fix to this sort of stuff is just as simple as accomplishing something, making something of yourself. Hell, it is for nearly all depression, anti-depressants just lift some of the sluggishness so you feel more able to do this, they're not meant to make you feel happy and all better.

I really don't get why people think that when they're depressed because of their situation, that doing the exact same thing plus a pill or a book will make them feel any better. You're still in the same situation.

The Noonday Demon