Are there any good books written by a black person?

are there any good books written by a black person?
a girl from my class called me out for not knowing a single one

yes

there's a chart somewhere.
I see it every once in a while when these threads come up

Black person as in black american? A person from africa? What about a latin american that happens to have dark skin? What the fuck did she even mean?

the illiad

You didn't know a single one?
Did you know any in a relationship though?

cmon man

daily reminder that Balzac and Dumas were black

stop

If you're looking for something by a black person that will make you look culturally aware too I would look into Fences.

If you want to look progressive in front of your little friends, pretend that you like Alice Walker.

Invisible Man is excellent. Junot Diaz is one of the funniest writers of modern lit.

Here you go. Also Miles Davis' autobiography is great if you're into music at all.

T-10 seconds until someone shows up and calls every book on this chart shit.

shit books

Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man is essential user lit. Basically a proto-user.

Thomas Sowell.

It's non-fiction though.

Bonus points for making them upset that he's one of the traitorous Uncle Toms who didn't hop on LBJ's Democrat train.

>called me out

What does that even mean? I know its an American thing, but how does it work? Did she point her finger at you and said "This guy doesn't know any good... etc." loud enough so that everybody around could hear? Then everybody slowly turned towards you with a glacial stare while stony silence reigned the room, or something? How the fuck is one supposed to react to being "called out"?

Babel-17, by Samuel R Delany.

not only black, but a GAY BLACK POET SCIENCE-FICTION WRITER. suck it up, classroom bitch.

It's just Invisible Man. The Invisible Man is Wells' trashy horror novel.

It's a thriller more than a horror novel.

Your mother's a thriller more than a horror novel.

You should call her out for caring about something that should have zero bearing with regard to the quality of writing and make her realize that she's the racist.

It's a euphemism taken from niggers, so it can be used to describe almost any situation in which the callee is shown to be unable to defend themselves rhetorically. Usually there's a decent amount of hostility, angst, and self-righteous posturing by the caller and the audience hoots and hollers when the necessary argument isn't produced, regardless of whether it could exist or not. The more niggers present the more rowdy and stupid the crowd is. Sometimes they will berate the callee even if a cogent answer is forthcoming. Niggers and everyone who idolizes their childish behavior are truly inferior.

She might have been your typical bullshit angry SJW identity politics peddler but if he couldn't even name one and he thinks himself a reader then it is a problem. It might not be a racist problem on his part, though.

Wadada (On The Road)

I guess it depends on where you classify Irish and Slavs on the white/not really white spectrum. Some Irish and Slavs are good writers but I would be upset if they moved into my neighborhood.

Ficciones

What percentage of books written by blacks are books about race?

Anyone else thank God every day that they're white, so they don't have to OBSESS over their "identity" (i.e., shit they're born with), like women and minorities do?

In the context of people, "black" is widely known to mean someone of subsaharan african stock; a negroid.

>hasn't even read the meme trilogy

No, it's just a basic social interaction where you say or reveal something which somebody else finds questionable and doesn't let slip. Maybe in a friendly way ("teasing", "busting balls"), maybe angrily ("criticizing", "chiding").

This is all covered in my pamphlet on autism, can I interest you a copy? I think you would it find it informative.

Zadie Smith stuff is good

t. American

>Maya Angelou

Activist, poet, black woman, come OP, you get 3 for 1. That one was easy.

>mfw I only know about her because of a Simpsons episode.

Dhalgren
Invisible Man
Brief History of Seven Killings

>A poetic tribute to Michael Jackson - Full text online at official site - >Poem and video at MTV (recited by Queen Latifah )
>Though we are many, each of us is achingly alone, piercingly alone.
>Only when we confess our confusion can we remember that he was a gift to us and we did have him.
>He came to us from the creator, trailing creativity in abundance.
>Despite the anguish, his life was sheathed in mother love, family love, and survived and did more than that.
>He thrived with passion and compassion, humor and style. We had him whether we know who he was or did not know, he was ours and we were his.

KNMFAI

>Poem and video at MTV (recited by Queen Latifah )
> poetic tribute to Michael Jackson

>No one has mentioned Baldwin

Yeah, I know, she sucked. But she was a black civil rights activist woman, enough to shut up those people that start to realize that I am way too /pol/

Its called hiding your power level

First stanza seems really bad.

I kind of like the oil wells line, but that's it.

Their Eyes We Watching God is a masterwork

Well yeah, that's what privilege is

would also recommend Miles Davis too

a raisin in the sun fucking sucks

marlon james
clr james
thiong'o
Chigozie Obioma
Alex Haley

This chart smells like drinking the koolaid

Don't bother. The opportunity cost of nigger literature is too high.

>all these losers who have never read The Souls of Black Folk, any Franz Fanon, Ben Okri, Amos Tutluona, etc

Plebbery beyond belief

Pamphlets are supposed to be free, so you'd better be ready to hook me up.

I hate that these threads get deleted so often, even between the trolling there are great suggestions.

Looking for recommendations on African or West Indian post-colonial angst, preferably with some edgy handwringing over violence.

Only in fucking United States. the rest of America has black people, and they don't consider themselves black but whatever their nationality is. Again, what the fuck does black mean? Put it in perspective.

Things Fall Apart? Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned so far, considering it's extremely well known. Great book though.

Of course. My goal is to educate the public, not make a profit.

People say the character is boring and nothing interesting happens, how accurate is that?

that's a pleb opinion to have on any book. you could say that "it's boring" and "nothing happens" in virtually every modernist work.

Read Dhalgren instead.

Read some Thiong'o for a real good name drop

Ive read it, most of it is a bit boring aside from any anthropological or social interest, but the end is pretty top tier.

This, Wizard of the Crow was pretty funny but this is up for me soon and it looks pretty great

forgot pic

Snoop Dog.

Death and the King's Horseman. It's written by the first negro to win the Nobel Prize in Literature; he is from Nigeria.

Song of Solomon. It's written by a female American negro, and it won her the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Half of a Yellow Sun was quite good.

god she sucks

I disagree with your criterion.

Mike Tyson

It is not boring and all sorts of shit happens. One of my favorite books, renewed my interest in reading as a teenager. I've also read "A Man of the People", a psuedo-sequel. It's interesting, but doesn't have the same impact.

I thought Jamaica Kincaid's Annie John was good.

Which half?

I think a lot of people assume African-American in these threads. I know that's where my head goes immediately as an American when I hear the word "black."

i don't know what the authors of most of the books i read look like, and i don't care

Call me a pleb, but A Brief History of Seven Killings (by Marlon James) was great.

pleb I haven't read the book, I'm just doing what I'm told

Yes, but they're all written in hieroglyphs from before the white man destroyed their empires and enslaved them.

Does Alexandre Dumas count?

where are you from?