Book(s) You Can't Finish

I think this is the first book I feel I just can't get through out of pure disgust. It's beautifully written but I just can't stand the subject matter. Should I stop being a pussy and stick to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XIoAYq9iD4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, you fucking cry baby, what the fuck

Try babyfucker

Beyond Good And Evil.
I feel lost reading this book, I think I understand it then I reread the last 10 pages and feel as if I've never touched them.

That's how I felt for the first 50 pages or so

Stick to it, holy shit you fucking baby, what do you want, trigger warnings because it's too uncomfortable for you?

Fucking finish it.

>boohoo i love the smell of young pussy and im such a depressed degenerate pussay pussay pussay

I couldn't get past the first 100 pages. It's clever but the style got tiring quick

Hi,Veeky Forums
I've just started Ulysses, read some pages and now i am thinking, whether to continue or not. The matter is my age... I am, maybe, sort of young for it. It won't be easy, right ? Is it better to get through Bible and Odyssey to understand some allusions before starting Joyce ? So what do you think, Veeky Forums, should I continue know or it's too sophisticated for youngsters and it would be better to wait for awhile ?
(Sorry, if my english is pretty simplified - i'm not a native speaker)

Hijacking OP's thread. This was the best book I've ever written. I haven't read much though. What Nabokov should I read after it?

>The matter is my age... I am, maybe, sort of young for it.

if you're asking then you probably are. you should have absolutely read portrait and odyssey before this. and possibly hamlet too.

you know you are too young for it. you know you are if you are making this post. just be honest with yourself. there is zero shame in being reasonable about that. in fact it's a pragmatic and mature decision to arrive at.

>This is the best book I've ever written

Nabokov, get out of here man.

Thank you. You helped me to decide. And you are right about knowing the answer by myself, but it was a dilemma between the passion to read and the thought to wait. So I'ill go and start the portrait and Odyssey at first(Hamlet is already finished). Thank you again for your respond.

lol you are supposed to get those boners reading it OP, don't feel so insecure about it.

Nietzsche is challenging because he doesn't hold your hand and his argument is that we need to internally figure our shit out, which is a complicated and highly personal process. There is no handbook.

It's a comedy. enjoy it that way.

Speak, memory is just as good. Give it a try

>someone actually being helpful on Veeky Forums

Can't bring myself to finish this schlock. Sorry to Fanzens of Veeky Forums.

Since you are probably the type of 4channer who just wants to try 'le hardest everything' instead of natural progression, yes you are too young and retarded to read it.

I don't understand what would disgust people about it.

Granted, I like little girls - but the book is extremely subtle.

You should be aware that one doesn't read a book with the title smaller than the author's name.

Kek

So I shouldn't read the Shakespeare collection I bought last week?

Behead All Satans....because I just don't want it to end.

Heuristics are both the essence and antithesis of studying Nietzsche

>comedy
>protagonist dies in the end.

>kind user helps young user
What board is this?

Tried to get my gf to read this. Turns out she was raped when she was 12. She didn't want to keep reading it, and I guess I can't protest too much to that (even though I love the book).

break up now, she's gonna be a nutcase

Nah, she's alright. Very chillaxed about stuff. We're reading IJ together right now and she's really into it. If the crazy rears its head down the road, I can just bail down the road.

this book is comedy gold, why can't you read it?

>My very photogenic mother died in a freak accident (picnic, lightning)
kills me everytime

You are weak trash. You don't deserve literacy.

Have fun paying for her valium for the rest of your life.

Madame Bovary
I hated that bitch so much, it actually made me angry. So I stopped.

Might be different now.

>reading for plot

Fail.

>think books without a plot are good
double fail, we get it, you've read so much literature that you've become desensitized to anything with conventional story telling, it doesn't mean the rest of us have. Just stick to reading your niche books with almost zero following which will be forgotten in a hundred years

Go back to /tv/ - you disgusting, embarrassing pleb.

Watch that modernism bro it's leaking

>if you don't judge a book by its cover, then you are in favor of not putting covers on books

>I'll take non sequitur for a 1000 Alex.
False analogies are not necessary, surely you've heard of hyperbole? It's a rhetorical device used to emphasize through exaggeration. I don't really think the books he likes "have no plot" I think that they are not plot-centric which is a terrible way of telling stories. If you enjoy masturbatory prose then fine, just don't assume you are a genius because you do. You just have crippling autism

Read it. Would it be your onlu read? I hope not.

Catch-22
I know it's supposed to be funny, but it was meh for me
I get the jokes and I understand why they would make someone laugh, but they don't make me laugh. I left it unfinished having read roughly half of it.

The analogy was spot on, actually. You are clinically retarded.

spolier tag at least please

Read this a long time ago.
Remind me what Humbert's explanation for his taboo was? Unexplored opportunity for youth snatch? There was a scene with some love interest, too long between to pcychoanalyze in the now. Care to refresher me the swiftness?

So I wanted to fuck young Natalie Portman in Professional (Leon) as a child. Did growing up make it so difficult for me to screw her look-alikes in highschool? and her jaded soul-sisters in college fetish parties?

I'm reminded the author has the whistleblower mother hit by a car immediately upon discovery. This drives (lol) the narrative really blowing this debauchery forward.

Brilliant in its lasting strangeness of philosophy. If you consider how easily this ordeal happened, you'd say it was to some degree a naturally occurring situation. Yet, given civilization has risen to allow women educations, their development is founded on distractions from their dickthirst/obligation. Even todays backward ass times shows vast differences within lands of the college prostitute and the jungle boogie fuck muppetry in greater Zaire. End point - the breeding vessel Lo was intended to be just another nobody with her promiscuity. She attains motherhood and a bonus prize for her role in society - nothing rare. Dude was totally out of line only in that western Civ. has proceeded from this apathy. He becomes the jackass, retarded to the modern code much like we assume of the contemporary arab.

That is so weird, I felt EXACTLY the same way about that book. It was honestly more sad than anything.

FUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU

I'm reading this book right now, you unbelievable huge sack of shit.
Kill yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on literally THE FIRST FUCKING PAGE Nabokov tells you Humbert dies in prison. Learn to fucking read you autistic piece of shit

my diary DESU

I don't read the foreword.

> tfw the first time I read Lolita I believed it was a real introduction

It's part of the actual novel you clown.

jokes on you then home boy, it's not a real foreword. It's a metafictional device used to set Humbert up as an unreliable narrator.

I'm struggling with Anna Karenina. It is both artistically great and extremely entertaining, "unputdownable". However I get emotional due to being in a nearly identical situation as Anna's husband in the past, and I feel like I'm kind of reliving it again.

>Turns out she was raped when she was 12. She didn't want to keep reading it, and I guess I can't protest too much to that (even though I love the book).
rape is social construct when a woman ends up choosing being fucked by sub-chad.

In the first half of Lolita I was sick of his pervert thoughts.
Ironically as soon as he lost her I wished he kept doing that instead of whining

The first time i read it I felt that too.
The second time however I didn't read it for the plot and it's truly a masterpiece

bitch pls

>Confessions of a Mask gone
>1984 put in

>I think this is the first book I feel I just can't get through out of pure disgust. It's beautifully written but I just can't stand the subject matter. Should I stop being a pussy and stick to it?
>Lolita
Man, it is fucking amazing and it gets humurous as you go through it.
Simply, frankly, fucking amazing.
You may even feel your morals vindicated by the plotline... Of course depending on what interpretation you give of it.

I still laugh hard thinking of it.

>To Kill a Mockingbird
>American Psycho
Just, no.

The rest are great, and much more entry-level (as in, easily enjoyable) than (except I haven't read Of Mice And Men), but come on.

Worst part is, Rita was perfect.

Fucking Humbert.

You mean Valeria, maybe.

>bitch who cucked him
>... just like, well, you know
Fuck Valeria. Rita a best.

I was just baiting.

I guess I'm just too easily triggered by superficial backstabbing women.
I didn't even get far enough to know if the gets punished for it. Didn't seem like she would in the first few chapters.

Im reading Anna Karenina too, and can't stop thinking in stupid memes of cuckoldry. On the other hand I really enjoy Levin's chapters.

why the fuck is Dorian a ginger

It's a 60 year old novel, you should have read it by now :)

>You may even feel your morals vindicated by the plotline

Online if you're the exact type of reader Nabokov was mocking in the novel, itself.

Stop spamming your shitty chart nobody likes.

You're an unbelievable fuckwit.

For real? Jesus dude read it. Even though it's pedophilic and such honestly it's probably the best and most accurate love story that exists

Moby Dick

Wow, way to ruin a book for everyone...

>Moby Dick

Here you go.
youtu.be/XIoAYq9iD4A

lol
I forgot about that part
I need to re-read it.

How does that ruin the book?
It's literally how the book starts

>"Lolita, or the Confession of a White Widowed Male," such were the two titles under which the writer of the present note received the strange pages it preambulates. "Humbert Humbert," their author, had died in legal captivity, of coronary thrombosis, on November 16, 1952, a few days before his trial was scheduled to start.

The Pickwick Papers.

It's fucking long!

I'm sorry, I know what it was trying to do, I get the appeal I honestly do but I just couldn't do it.

Just so fucking boring.

this piece of shit

god, shut the fuck up.

He just said he cant stand the descriptions of a young girl you moron bitch arse pussy arse nigga fuck face faggot bitch nigger

gaah I'm so glad I found this thread. I don't think I can complete this book, it's taken me 3 days to get 15 pages in, because I'm just not confident leaving a page and feeling like I understand what's going on. It's so confusing. There's a story within a story, the guy describes vague events, and uses language like how the sun miserly on the window cil and steel beams "like the look you make when you wake up after a night of bad sleep, or after you write a page without stopping". Fuuuuuuck. I wish he would shut the fuck up about his mother fucking history book too, I really don't give a fuck about who assassinated Paul 1, NOT A SINGLE FUCK!!!

pleb

Nausea is fucking simple man.

NO IT'S NOT! I read the Metamorphosis in 1 day and totally got it, this is not as easy at all. I read the stranger in 1 day. This is way harder.

Sometimes a Great Notion by Kesey. Dunno why. I've started It like 4 times and only have made it halfway through. Its interesting to a point and then fucking babble. And I aint no bitch, nigga. I've had less difficulty wading through Pynchon.

i finished it but that was on sufferance.
such an impressively hate filled book .

i never finished martin amis's Lionel Asbo .I knew that if i did i would never read another Amis book ever again.

PS: there is an free English translation linked on Wikipedia and it's way netter then the pic one.

if it makes you feel any better like half the people who love this book are women

nausea is a foundational, yet sometimes lofty didactic scope into sartre's philosophy. i remember feeling a similar way when i started it. push through at your own pace, i guarantee you'll find yourself piecing it together as you get further in.

my girlfriend was actually the one that got me into it.

youd think subject matters like this and perfume would turn women away, but theyre my gf's two favorite books. are women masochistic or something?

both good replies.

If you want to wrangle with Nietzsche, it's helpful to learn from the same texts he did so you have some kind of sequence, a sense of the logic that he is building on or diverting from. You have to understand that he studied 'duh greekz' and was familiar with term logic, so you need to be equally as familiar with these methods of thinking if you're going to read his literature. You have to realize he is making an argument. You have to know how to construct a formal argument before you expect to understand one that looks like prose, just from reading it once-through.

Probably my favourite book I ever read, but I haven't ever reread it, because I just sort of can't deal with the thought of going through it again. Watch the Kubrick adaptation after you've read it, it's a decent movie, not fantastic, but still good enough.

>got called sexist by a spanish teacher for telling that she (Madame Bovary) was a "loose woman".
I am glad she dies painfully.

Hahaha hahaha you sound like a redditor.

>I am glad she dies painfully.
I might just finish it then.