Wrong board
Redirect them to
Or
>>>[s4s]

BRING

HIM

HOME

idiots

The book's alright, but there's too many lists.

the collected works of shakespeare

>yfw less than 10 people on this board have actually read a cornerstone of the canon but claim to be "patrician"

Veeky Forums has such a bias towards novels it's absolutely ridiculous. Hamlet is something like #33 on the "Veeky Forums canon"

shakespear was a hack though, not even kidding, you two have to rise above the plebs if you wish to do more than shitpost on a byzantine papyrus forum

this could be b8, but it could be full sincere - you can't even tell cause that's how pleb this board is. it's ridiculous to think shakespeare could be underrated but here we are.

>shakespear
>underrated
literal anglo propaganda, this has got to be the wors meme since "start with the greeks"

You mean massively overrates because so many posters are only a year out of puberty.

Fuck you, racist.

Anything by Richard Yates.

My life's not that different than if I'd never read Titus Andronicus or King Henry VI, his weaker comedies like The Merry Wives of Windsor (jeez, Falstaff is a caricature of himself in that one), The Taming of the Shrew, etc.

Although I'll admit that when he's great, he's fucking great desu

Enders game

the bridge of san luis rey

When you look past the stupid memes and labels it's actually a very realistic and touching book.

John Green is such a fucking faggot though omg

how is this true senpai
there are literally 1-2 threads about shakespeare at any given moment
he's literally the fourth member in the meme trilogy as it is right now

hey, i've read that one

Nah, I'd like it less without the lists. They're fucking hysterical. JG Ballard was quoted once as asserting you could write a novel of lists and he'd love it.

Anything by delillo

you know he's literally part of the meme trilogy 2.0, right?

All of these.

>2.0
bye, nu chan

fucking kek

there are people here who unironically assume that The Great Gatsby is a pleb book because its taught in high schools

That's one of the few instances where lit elitism actually goes too far

Gatsby belongs in the canon for a reason, even if Mr. Miller's 10th grade English ruined it for you

For some reason everyone seems to hate Kerouac, but he's one of my absolute favourite writers.

you're a pleb

more people on this board have read infinite jest than the works of shakeseare. think about that for a moment and realize how pseud this board is.

>pic
That thread was great, I'm so happy that my tile wasn't scrapped. It was placed in the wrong fucking place though.

Screenshotted for /r/Veeky Forums! How do I upboat on this site?

Dharma bums was his best, Big Sur was pretty good but that shit got scary at a point how he wrote

Where's Pynchon at?

it's terribly written, though.

I think you meant pic related.

You’re just displaying the sort of cynicism that lets readers be manipulated by bad writing. I think it’s a kind of black cynicism about today’s world that Ellis and certain others depend on for their readership. Look, if the contemporary condition is hopelessly shitty, insipid, materialistic, emotionally retarded, sadomasochistic, and stupid, then I (or any writer) can get away with slapping together stories with characters who are stupid, vapid, emotionally retarded, which is easy, because these sorts of characters require no development. With descriptions that are simply lists of brand-name consumer products. Where stupid people say insipid stuff to each other. If what’s always distinguished bad writing—flat characters, a narrative world that’s cliched and not recognizably human, etc.—is also a description of today’s world, then bad writing becomes an ingenious mimesis of a bad world. If readers simply believe the world is stupid and shallow and mean, then Ellis can write a mean shallow stupid novel that becomes a mordant deadpan commentary on the badness of everything. Look man, we’d probably most of us agree that these are dark times, and stupid ones, but do we need fiction that does nothing but dramatize how dark and stupid everything is? In dark times, the definition of good art would seem to be art that locates and applies CPR to those elements of what’s human and magical that still live and glow despite the times’ darkness. Really good fiction could have as dark a worldview as it wished, but it’d find a way both to depict this world and to illuminate the possibilities for being alive and human in it. You can defend “Psycho” as being a sort of performative digest of late-eighties social problems, but it’s no more than that.

thank you

>Ride the Tiger is grouped in with the rest of that shite

Bloody kill me

I'm French and Shakespeare is indisputably a genius

Who underrates this? I've early hear amazing things about it from people here, an American classic