What's the difference between Continental and Analytical philosophy?

What's the difference between Continental and Analytical philosophy?

I've always had the impression that the former is just feels/opinions and general grandiose statements, whereas the latter is basically 'philosophy' on mathematical steroids; formalized, obsessed with language/semantics, and on occasion wielding equations/etc.

More to the point, which is best?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/forschung-und-lehre/analytische-und-kontinentale-philosophie-wir-sollten-mit-eigenen-worten-denken-13853239.html
m.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/hegel-wohnt-hier-nicht-mehr-die-kontinentale-philosophie-verschwindet-aus-europa-13816301.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You've pretty much nailed how they operate. Which is better depends on where your interests lie. Analytics focus more on specific philosophical problems and you tend to find them working on problems in metaphysics, epistemology, logic, philosophy of language, phil of science, and so on. Continentals tend to focus heavily on the humanistic side of philosophy, concerned with ethics, aesthetics, history, ideology, etc. There is certainly crossover and often you may find them working on the same problems in different ways. Many take the distinction to be a historical anachronism at this point. But this is generally how it breaks down.

dude, A=A lmao so deep

Since I'm human and I have feelings as well as opinions and love the aesthetic grandeur of a grandiose statement, I'll go with continental philosophy.
More fulfilling.
I'll leave the autists with their silly approximations.

You're an idiot

>which is best?
There is no best, there's only what you are more accustomed regarding the way you think

Also, as stated, the distinction it's pretty much outdated

Yeah and we have this stupid thread every day here with idiots like you giving answers that could be found with a quick Google, shut the fuck up and discuss some books that you've actually read and haven't just intended to read.

It was made up by Britbongs like Russel to assert the superiority of their prison-island over the rest of Europe and therefore the world. It really only means, in the mouth of its enunciator, that one idea is false because politically disadvantageous, and the other true because politically advantageous. That's literally all there is to the distinction.

To a first approximation:

"Analytic" philosophy = Philosophy, as studied and practiced in universities.

"Continental" philosophy = what teenagers on Veeky Forums think philosophy is.

Citing modern universities in defence of something is not as strong a defence as you think it is...

No, you embarrassing asshat. Analytic philosophy was invented and developed by Germans and Austrians, viz.:

Frege, Brentano, Mach, Meinong, Helmholtz, Hertz, Schlick, Hahn, Frank, Neurath, Carnap, Feigl, Kraft, Gödel, Waismann, Kaufmann, Tarski, Reichenbach, Hempel, Nagel, Wittgenstein, etc.

And it has zero political content, as its focus was logic and language.

so many jews in germany

Continental philosophy is actual philosophy, while Analytical philosophy is nonphilosophical logic. The dichotomy was created BY the Analytics, who couldn't into philosophy, so they desperately sought to find a way to validate themselves: hence why the dichotomy exists.

Philosophy means "love of wisdom." Wisdom comes from experience: experience has a dependence on a perspective. Perspective implies a bias. The Greek word for wisdom, sophia, has an etymological link to the Greek word sapio, which means "I taste." Tasting: further implication of bias. Philosophy, as understood by the creators of it (the Greeks), had to do with bias, achieving your own wisdom. The Pre-Socratics, the first philosophers in human history, displayed this better than any philosopher since, with their strong sense of individual character and hardened prejudices.

Analytic philosophy is just logic often coated in metaphysical gymnastics and semantics.

Who are you referring to? On that list only Wittgenstein and Nagel had Jewish ancestry.

^ another Veeky Forums teenager chimes in

This is actually the truth.

Language will never have the indisputable objectivity of numbers/mathematics. The mistake of analytics was to hold language to the same standard as mathematics.

/thread

I don't know why but german surnames sound jewish to me

You have it reversed. Mathematics will never have the indisputable objectivity of language and logic, thanks to Godel's Theorem.

>as studied and practiced in universities.

You mean worthless?

>Analytic "philosopher"
>ad hominem

Typical

Maybe it's because German Jews emigrated to America during wwii

Is Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem the most misused result in the history of mathematics? Why do people who clearly don't understand it use it to argue any point they want?

Continental doesn't actually exist and analytical philosophy is that which uses the method of picking axioms at the start and working from there.
It's also characterised by the focus on logic and linguistics.

This thread

>indisputable objectivity of numbers/mathematics

There's nothing objective about a system that ceases to exist when the last human that understands the language dies or the moment you enter the mind of an entity that doesn't understand the language.

Because 'continental' philosophers have no shame and will manipulate the results of legitimate philosophy and science without regard to their actual meaning or relevance. Check out "Fashionable Nonsense" by Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont.

Some reminders:

the distinction has only existed, and then only explicitly in anglophone academia, since the 1980s, approximately 0% of the existence of western philosophy

founders of both traditions, such as Heidegger and Carnap, read the works of the "other side" and took it seriously as philosophy

that the distinction is now entirely fueled by ideological caricatures, professional infighting, and funding differences through privatized STEM-dominant universities.

>he takes seriously the philosophical opinions of someone who's professed to having 0 knowledge of philosophy

Your entire post is complete bullshit.

Take a philosophy course before talking shit about a topic you have no understanding of.

>since the 1980s, approximately 0% of the existence of western philosophy
More like 8% (counting from Big Soc's birth).

A comprehensive history of "analytic philosophy".

1. All philosophy has been analytic, from the beginning of philosophy (quite simply because that's what all philosophy, indeed all thought, consists of: analysis).

2. Nietzsche arrives on the scene. Anglo-Saxons do not understand his analysis, ergo it is not analysis. Also, he made fun of them repeatedly for not being able to understand him. This at least they understood.

3. Anglo-Saxons: "Screw the priggish continentals: We will make our OWN philosophy." (= "The continentals are mean to us, so we won't play with them anymore.")

4. Wittgenstein's On Certainty. Illegible rubbish, but it set the tone for all future "analytic philosophy".

5. No one pays attention to the Anglo-Saxons' illegible rubbish, while book sales and star status of the continentals (many of whom are charlatans indeed but at least not boring) are soaring.

6. Finally Rorty turns around and proclaims the end of "analytic philosophy". "I wish I'd read less of our autistic bullshit and more novels instead."

7. According to the Anglo-Saxons, then, novels are the culmination and ultimate expression of philosophy.

8. And that's where Anglo-Saxon "analytic philosophy" stands to this day. Nothing more than a gigantic reaction movement to Nietzsche calling them names and making fun of them.

>Check out "Fashionable Nonsense" by Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont.

^ autistic Ayn Rand fan detected.

You mean 0.8%, my friend.

thanks for the quality post, I'll go back to studying for the senior year philosophy courses I'm in. Let me guess, analytic vs continental is ONLY a division because of what/how philosophy is written, that the history and context of this distinction does not matter, and also that continental philosophy is obscurantist bullshit.
class A pasta

>A=A

What is wrong with the law of identity? It's not meant to be deep so much as an obvious rule to set forth on discussion. Coupled with the other two it prevents wanker bullshit.

>another continental conveniently ignoring hard hitters like pic related

You can keep pretending like he doesn't exist, but he ain't going nowhere.
PS: His "The Analysis of Mind" singularly outdid any attempt of continentals to make sense of psychology.

>You can keep pretending like he doesn't exist
you mean like all analytics after the second war lmao

No, his input is simply used.
Because good ideas don't live and die with the one who came up with them.

It is the continentals who constantly have to build entire arguments around the names of previous shitty continentals, as if that appeal to authority means anything.

Sometimes I wonder if Americans even realize that (barring France), continental philosophy is pretty much dead in Europe and most work is done around Analytical Phil and related fields.
There are philosophers actually working science jobs like in AI research and guess what? None of them are talking about psychoanalytic BS.

This. Analytic philosophy is so far from real philosophy that it's literally one big palm on the face of humanity.

Look into via moderna and Protestantism to see how real philosophy was undone by useful idiots.

Modern analytic philopshers are broken records, they can speak for days and not touch a single heart or improve a mind in any practical sense.

>pulling the "I'm only human" card to eschew your duty to be a rational person

>continental philosophy is pretty much dead in Europe and most work is done around Analytical Phil and related fields.
citation needed

0/10.

Why should philosophy be about touching hearts? You think continentals are improving anything in a practical sense?

Continental is fun, Analytical is math(fun for autists/not me)

m.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/forschung-und-lehre/analytische-und-kontinentale-philosophie-wir-sollten-mit-eigenen-worten-denken-13853239.html
>8162871
Article about a German Prof who is trying to save idealism.

A similar one detailing how continental philosophy is dead and if you want to seriously study it, you should move to China or Brasil.
m.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/hegel-wohnt-hier-nicht-mehr-die-kontinentale-philosophie-verschwindet-aus-europa-13816301.html

The devil has won, scienctism is his religion. Thanks autists you utter tools.

Intelligent people were simply fed up with sophists pretending to be philosophers.
And the dicks who can't help themselves and keep talking out of their asses, constantly appealing to emotion and authority, rather than intuition, logic and the sciences.
That's what the arts are for.

I don't think you understand Gödel's theorem. Language is also included in the incompleteness theorem, and system built off axioms will have Gödel statements. You can even make some using a chess board and create Gödel positions.

lol no
>What is wrong with the law of identity?
woosh

>Language is also included in the incompleteness theorem

You're wrong. The theorem only applies to formal systems strong enough to express Peano arithmetic. First order logic, for instance, is sound, complete and decideable. First-order Euclidean geometry, the theory of real-closed ordered fields, and Presburger arithmetic are all decideable.

>You can even make some using a chess board and create Gödel positions

what

As much as I hate this board I can't fathom leaving it and missing out on brilliance like this.

>None of them are talking about psychoanalytic BS

Maybe because it isn't needed for it and that modern psychoanalysis doesn't have much use beyond psychiatry.

>intuition

Sorry but intuition is a continental value

Continental philosophy loses the trees for the forest, and analytic philosophy loses the forest for the trees.

>Alan Sokal
gtfo

you have no idea what you're talking about.

it's not anyone's fault but your own that you fell for the continental philosophy meme

Not everything is a fucking meme, you insufferable bunch of autists.

>not recognizing the "call everything a meme" meme

how new are you

I've come to the conclusion that Wittgenstein and Heidegger were pointing at the same thing just from different directions.

>humans are beings of pure reason
Nice try, but no, you stupid fucking weeb. Try going out and learning about the world with experience rather than theories.

>Kantian ethics
>2016

>duty

Was Kant the most spooked philosoper?

nigger tier reasoning there friend

he was just christian

But was Christ the first spooked?