Is this Eco's best work and/or the best place to start with him?

Is this Eco's best work and/or the best place to start with him?

>best work

debatable. you can make a strong case for it.

>best place to start

yes

>reading liberal trash

Best place to start yeah. Then read Foucault's Pendulum which is his best work.

>politicsposting

ohhh looks like someone's been watching better than food ;)

Foucault's Pendulum is so unique, well written and well done, I would say its his best work. Name of the Rose is a way more traditional murder mystery with some higher literary aspects.

>muh ideology
literally the worst dat to day spook

fuck off

>Foucault's Pendulum

That book was a drag. But maybe the Italian wit got lost in translation.

I loved the name of the rose, I like when a simple and much used concept is taken to the next level by a great writer. Like an old but functional barrel transformed into a luxury car.

I used to work for a scam/vanity publisher like them, so it is close to my heart.

>Foucault's Pendulum is so unique

It's a copy of Illuminatus!

the name of the rose
and i tell you why?
because was the least favorite book by Eco himself

I thought it was pretty good except for the very last part. Not that he hides out in the country side, waiting for his end, but the part with the pendulum choking the guy to death. It seemed so obvious and ill conceived.

>reading Italian Dan Brown

>comparing an actual studied man to someone who once read 'Secret Teachings of All Ages' and wrote a shitty story from it

What about his essays collections? Worth a look?

I prefer the Mysterious Flame of Queen Ioana. But I think Eco's most fun work is On Beauty and Ugliness. Really cool books.

almost everyone hates mysterious flame. it's widely regarded as his worst book. surprised you like it so much that you think it's best. it is a VERY rare opinion.

He's just being an edgy contrarian because he thinks it makes him look clever and opinionated on Veeky Forums. It's pathetic t b h. Unless he gives convincing personal reasons on why this is the case, I'm calling out on him for being a pseud.

Huh. I didn't know it was disliked. I also enjoy pulp fiction, so I appreciated all the references to things like Flash Gordon.

That passes. I take back my accusation.

>literally the worst dat to day spook
What language is this?

>SEMIOTICS IS TOTALLY A REAL SUBJECT GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Symbolic meanings in literature are really important, especially if you're also a medievalist like Eco.

Why am I responding to an obvious troll post?

>if you're also a medievalist
Tax money well spent.

It's Italy, you know they're just going to waste it on bribes anyway.

Oh right, good point.