If there wasn't aging and human beings had the ability to live forever there would be meaning in life

If there wasn't aging and human beings had the ability to live forever there would be meaning in life.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1993/02/08/opinion/a-brief-version-of-time.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

False, there would be even less meaning to life if it were an eternal quality.
The struggle of existence is what gives all life purpose and removing that pressure to resist entropy would turn the world into a stale, complacent hell.
Also, your picture is gay, faggot.

>he thinks there's currently meaning in life

>Also, your picture is gay, faggot.
homosexuality is beautiful and I would slobber on a dick and let a cute guy pee all over me in the middle of a church. god doesn't exist.

and also, what the hell would be wrong with complacence? could you imagine how amazing the world would be without the drama? people are so used to their dramatic fucked up lives they like to rationalize that their lives wouldn't be better without the drama because deep down they're sad that their lives are so tragic.

"Meaning of life" is an absurd concept. It exists as a coping mechanism to the fear of death, as terror management theory explains. If death wasn't an issue, people wouldn't care, for the most part, about this concept.

Soon you will find hell.
It's not too late for redemption.

that's kinda my point, except I think maybe kinda different. if people didn't die then there would be no search for meaning, because whatever you do would be to benefit your life, therefor the meaning of life is to live. to live means that you're alive and you can pursue the betterment of your life because you know it will actually matter.

H-he's not going to p-poop in that, is he?

I hope so. I'd spank his butt and bounce him on my leg then change him.

there is no inherent meaning in life. any attempt to find meaning will ultimately fail.

I suppose so. I just think that the pursuit of meaning would ultimately be over if there wasn't death, because I believe for life to have an end that means that there has to be some conclusion that people come to because of that. I have always been annoyed by the question of what is the meaning to life, because you can literally only have the existential perspective which is that life is absurd and you can find your own meaning to live (which is essentially what the meaning of life is), or you can be a braindead religious. so yeah, the question itself is sort of annoying and I get annoyed when people ask me it.

I know its disgusting YAF, but consider one of Anthony horowitz' short horror stories, in which a bully/ petty thief is struck by a bus and killed. At the pearly gates he is extremely repentant and to his surprise is let in by Paul. However, once in, he has trouble adjusting. This heaven he has reached is an extremely docile place where there is no suffering, and everybody is eternally happy. As ages go by, the thief is slowly driven mad by this "perfect" world. When he goes to Paul to say that there's been a mistake and that he should have been sent to hell, Paul simply replies, "you didn't think you were actually sent to heaven did you?"

The point is that a world without suffering robs the individual of what gives humanity, and in a broader sense all life, substance: conflict. A place with no need or competition has no direction and no purpose except to continue existing, and to me that sounds like the worst kind of hell, for without suffering there can be no pleasure.

How can you say this when you have never experienced a world without suffering? surely in a world where people don't die, they would still know the concept of suffering, because there would still be some aspect of life where they can suffer. I believe that there is no true way that a person who is conscious could experience a life without some sort of suffering. Although, if the conflicts of the world were lessened, the suffering would be minimal, and the happiness of the world would without a doubt increase.

Now, to say that the world would become boring because someone gets too used to living, that is a concept which is foreign to me. I see the world as a place where, if given comfort and a good cup of coffee and no responsibilities, you can explore to no end. The conscious mind is a tool that is used to experience, and the world is mysterious enough that it can offer many things and ideas, and I think to see that as limiting, there isn't a word for it I can really think of.

To be comfortable with life, I believe you have to develop an appreciation for the pathology of the mind, as well as have a space where your mind can be at peace. Without your mind being at peace, life is turmoil and terrible. Without understanding that the mind simply acquires moments of happiness through a trick in which the mind releases chemicals, then you may not realize that you are living your life as a chemically addicted junky, to the feelings of happiness. Ultimately complacency in life, I believe, could bring people to peace.

>. I see the world as a place where, if given comfort and a good cup of coffee and no responsibilities, you can explore to no end.

You seriously believe that being able to live forever is something that you would want to do?

Holy fuck, how can you not understand how torturous immortality would be? Even with the ability to put your mind in a state of total peace, the mere notion of the true length of infinity (hint: its forever) would be enough to set ones mind in a state of dis-ease. Imagine being trapped in a world, even a universe, for absolute eternity. Disregarding the reality of entropy, even with the means to do whatever you wish to achieve, there is no way to fend off the inevitability of boredom and eventual apathy that will result from being unable to assign any lasting meaning to your own existence

>Ultimately complacency in life, I believe, could bring people to peace.

Are you seriously making this argument right now? Have you never read any dystopian fiction, or even once considered what it would really be like to live in such a world? It would be hell. Successful, happy people are not complacent. Farm animals that get fat while they wait to be slaughtered are complacent.
With each post you convince me further that this thread is b8.

successful? you're looking at things in terms of the world we have right now. you could easily change the circumstances that people live in and envision a world where people have very little responsibilities and are able to get the comforts of life. imagine a beautiful green earth, where production is automatic, where people only learn how to do artistic endeavors, people are immersed in constant mental stimulation, beauty. I am a big fan of art, and I find that most things to me are utterly pointless besides finding new ways of thinking, which I believe is what art does for the mind. To immerse yourself in the world is ultimately to immerse yourself in it's aesthetic beauty, there's no end to the ways you can open up your mind. Let alone the possibility of augmentation through technology.

Such a world wouldn't even have people who are in danger. So the farm animal analogy is immaterial.

You're describing a world in which people have no free will. Simply automating means of production and establishing universal activities to waste people's time with is not giving them freedom. Have you maybe considered that a vast majority of people do not want to spend countless eons pursuing "artistic endeavors" whatever the hell that means? Subjecting a group of immortals to such a lifestyle would not result in perpetual fulfillment, it would result in eventual rioting, conflict, and ultimate suffering, which is what you created that world to prevent in the first place.

Perfection is unattainable from a human approach, even with immortality. Free Will and Perfection simply do not go hand in hand.

I think I just saw this kid on national television.

Did he get shot in a bar? Cause I can't think of any other reason he would make national news.

There is already no such thing as free will. Our minds are biological programs.

I think I know that prick and his name's Paul if it's who I think it is.

he's an ultra qt

He's also an infantile (should be obvious from the pic) pseud.

An infantile pseud? I've never heard the word pseud used in such a context. You mean like he's immature? He sounds qt, send him over to me. He shall be my squishy.

>I've never heard the word pseud used in such a context.
That's the beauty of language bud.

It's sort of ambiguous what you meant.

Be careful not to cut yourself on that edge pal

(1/2)

Suppose that people live forever.

Strangely, the population of each city splits in two: the Laters and the Nows.

The Laters reason that there is no hurry to begin their classes at the university, to learn a second language, to read Voltaire or Newton, to seek promotion in their jobs, to fall in love, to raise a family. In endless time, all things can be accomplished. Thus all things can wait. Indeed, hasty actions breed mistakes. And who can argue with their logic? The Laters can be recognized in any shop or promenade. They walk an easy gait and wear loose-fitting clothes. They take pleasure in reading whatever magazines are open or rearranging furniture in their homes, or slipping into conversation the way a leaf falls from a tree. The Laters sit in cafes sipping coffee and discussing the possibilities of life.

The Nows note that with infinite lives, they can do all they can imagine. They will have an infinite number of careers, they will marry an infinite number of times, they will change their politics infinitely. Each person will be a lawyer, a bricklayer, a writer, an accountant, a painter, a physician, a farmer. The Nows are constantly reading new books, studying new trades, new languages. In order to taste the infinities of life, they begin early and never go slowly. And who can question their logic? The Nows are easily spotted. They are the owners of the cafes, the college professors, the doctors and nurses, the politicians, the people who rock their legs constantly whenever they sit down. They move through a succession of lives, eager to miss nothing. When two Nows chance to meet at the hexagonal pilaster of the Zahringer Fountain, they compare the lives they have mastered, exchange information, and glance at their watches. When two Laters meet at the same location, they ponder the future and follow the parabola of the water with their eyes.

(2/2)

The Nows and Laters have one thing in common. With infinite life comes an infinite list of relatives. Grandparents never die, nor do great-grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles, great-great-aunts, and so on, back through the generations, all alive and offering advice. Sons never escape from the shadows of their father. Nor do daughters of their mothers. No one ever comes into his own.

When a man starts a business, he feels compelled to talk it over with his parents and grandparents and great-grandparents, ad infinitum, to learn from their errors. For no new enterprise is new. All things have been attempted by some antecedent in the family tree. Indeed, all things have been accomplished. But at a price. For in such a world, the multiplication of achievements is partly divided by the diminishment of ambition.

And when a daughter wants guidance from her mother, she cannot get it undiluted. Her mother must ask her mother, who must ask her mother, and so on forever. Just as sons and daughters cannot make decisions themselves, they cannot turn to parents for confident advice. Parents are not the source of certainty. There are one million sources.

Where every action must be verfified one million times, life is tentative. Bridges thrust halfway over rivers and then abruptly stop. Buildings rise nine stories high but have no roofs. The grocer's stocks of ginger, salt, cod, and beef change with every change of mind, every consultation. Sentences go unfinished. Engagements end just days before weddings. And on the avenues and streets, people turn their heads and peer behind their backs, to see who might be watching.

Such is the cost of immortality. No person is whole. No person is free. Over time, some have determined that the only way to live is to die. In death, a man or a woman is free of the weight of the past. These few souls, with their dear relatives looking on, dive into Lake Constance or hurl themselves from Monte Lema, ending their infinite lives. In this way, the finite has conquered the infinite, millions of autumns have yielded to no autumns, millions of snowfalls have yielded to no snowfalls, millions of admonitions have yielded to none.

I'm a later and I'm proud of it.

If life was infinite, I'd still be in my parents basement, lurking and reading. Then I'd love to hone my skills at writing poetry, and become a edgy wandering poet.

With a fedora.

nytimes.com/1993/02/08/opinion/a-brief-version-of-time.html

>tfw posted on my bday.

God I hate faggots. someone should kill all the faggots. where is Hitler when we need him most.

Life already has no objective meaning. We're the ones that give it to it.
If life was eternal, we'd have more time and opportunities to find it.

Don't listen to the 13 year old faggots like this one spouting Disney tier philosophy.

I want to smell his poop.

There is aging, and human beings don't have the ability to live forever;
therefore, there is meaning in life.

There is no meaning to life

Just do what you want
Dont hurt other people and leave metaphysical questions alone

we love you though. please spread love not hate

No, false premise, with an infinite of something you can no longer derive any measure of it, also there's no point in life anyways. Eat fuck and die

this image is gayer than 100 copies of naked lunch glued together with rancid jism

it gives me a boner, especially when I think of the smell of his poop.

you saved it as well didn't you?

Just making sure you know, I only like this image because he looks like a girl. I'm 100% straight.

>Have diaper fetish since I was about 5
Why couldn't it be something a little more normal like spandex or feet.
Not to mention the people into this are the most autistic people around (furries and MLP aside)

I know that feel

he'd be cuter without the diaper 2bh

What's he like in real life? I want details on how he's infantile (besides the obvious pic giveaway).

Okay well, there should certainly be a super long expansion of life, because there isn't enough time to experience life in the window that we currently have in our current state of technology. I am holding out for them to radically advance aging. And I think that your idea about people going to their parents for everything is a bizarre one. There's no reason to consult with people that way, no one would want to do that. That seems like an easily remedyable problem. Plus, if we live for that long, we will probably be able to travel to different galaxies where no one knows us anyways, so we wouldn't have to worry about everyone knowing us and our past following us. I'd even wager that it would be less of a problem.

i have extreme deja vu. is this thread posted a lot?